Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Marco throws Hornets under the bus

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Belli sucked for us....

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Roger's $1,146,337 > Marco's $3,377,604 for similar production. Plus we needed veteran leadership and some one who wouldn't mind coming off the bench. Marco seems to think pretty highly of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Damn, y'all are some vindictive people. The Hornets were not a top 4 seed in their conference when Marco was on the team. A 6-8th seed is not a top team. Even injured as they are, the Bulls should be right around the three or four seed in the East.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    This. So much insecurity here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Overall I definitely would prefer Marco over Mason as our backup SG, but aside from age there's not a ton of difference.
    Mason almost single handedly got us the comeback game against Charlotte and the 2nd half comeback against Houston. Not to mention his defense on Harden in that 3rd quarter was significant.

I cannot think of a single game where Marco made that kind of impact.

Marco throws Hornets under the bus

Marco was average at best for the most part. Didn't defend, not consistent as a shooter and not even a great FT shooter. Give me Mason and his consistency any day of the week.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

If there's one thing I don't like, it's inconsistent players. When you have inconsistent players, it leads to an inconsistent team. That's what Marco was.

When he was on, he was on. A borderline Greivis Vasquez player that can take over games. But honestly, how often was that? Most of the time he was erratic in his shots, played below-average defense, and has limited athleticism. We have a guy with Belinelli's height and potential scoring ability (Rivers). At least with Austin he can become another Belinelli but with much better ball handling skills, improved defense which I'm sure Doc and Monty is preaching to him, and a knack for getting to the free throw line.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Mason almost single handedly got us the comeback game against Charlotte and the 2nd half comeback against Houston. Not to mention his defense on Harden in that 3rd quarter was significant.

I cannot think of a single game where Marco made that kind of impact.
    23 pts on 9 for 14 shooting in an 83-81 win over Golden State last year (the game that 247 said would set us back years) was the first I found. 22 pts on 4 for 5 from 3 on ANOTHER win over Golden State last year, that one a blow out. 20 pts on 4 for 6 from 3pt in a 102-94 win over NJ last year. 19 pts on 9 for 13 from the floor on a 89-84 win over Cleveland last year.

I'm not a Marco fan boy (far from it, look at the first page of the thread to figure that out) but to say he NEVER had a hot shooting night that helped us win like Mason did is far from the truth. These are stats I found just glancing at his games from last year.

Not saying you should prefer Marco to Mason, thats anyones opinion. Just defending that I think they are both shooters and really not much difference between them.

Marco is one of those guys that can go 5-6 from 3 point range one game and than go 2-15 over the next 4 games. He's a frustrating player. He is talented but I think he is biggest problem was that he tried to expand his game so much that he got away from his biggest strength which is shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Marco is one of those guys that can go 5-6 from 3 point range one game and than go 2-15 over the next 4 games. He's a frustrating player. He is talented but I think he is biggest problem was that he tried to expand his game so much that he got away from his biggest strength which is shooting.
    More like he'd go 3-4 in the first quarter and become nonexistent the rest of the game. The thing I disliked about Belinelli the most is his inconsistency at the end of games. If his shooting isn't on, he doesn't give you anything else negative or positive. It's frustrating watching a guy with no presence when his shot is off.

23 pts on 9 for 14 shooting in an 83-81 win over Golden State last year (the game that 247 said would set us back years) was the first I found. 22 pts on 4 for 5 from 3 on ANOTHER win over Golden State last year, that one a blow out. 20 pts on 4 for 6 from 3pt in a 102-94 win over NJ last year. 19 pts on 9 for 13 from the floor on a 89-84 win over Cleveland last year.

I'm not a Marco fan boy (far from it, look at the first page of the thread to figure that out) but to say he NEVER had a hot shooting night that helped us win like Mason did is far from the truth. These are stats I found just glancing at his games from last year.

Not saying you should prefer Marco to Mason, thats anyones opinion. Just defending that I think they are both shooters and really not much difference between them.
    Who can forget that game. Y'all were freaking out because he destroyed your tank. Lol

I'm not talking about a player having a good shooting night. Ryan Anderson has had plenty of those. Even Rivers had one of those.

I'm talking about having a significant impact on the game hitting pressure shots while the rest of the team is struggling and single handedly bringing the team back. Mason has done it twice while also holding his own on defense. I don't recall Marco doing this and none of those games you mentioned seem to fit this criteria.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Marco was fine for us. He just was never in the role he should've been in. Had he been given Roger's role, he would've looked just as good if not better.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Yeah now I remember he wasn't that bad, it's just those inconsistent streaks that made him look ridiculously bad. Those sad games he had REALLY stick out in my mind lol his inconsistency reminds me of Rivers a ton actually. They both have confidence issues that get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Marco was fine for us. He just was never in the role he should've been in. Had he been given Roger's role, he would've looked just as good if not better.
    Role????didnt he start and log heavy minute for us ??? He had plenty of chances and never did much.

Uh, he should NEVER be a starter, much less log heavy minutes imo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post
    Roger's $1,146,337 > Marco's $3,377,604 for similar production. Plus we needed veteran leadership and some one who wouldn't mind coming off the bench. Marco seems to think pretty highly of himself.
    and that's all that matters right there. Same production for less money, that's how you build a team

Draft Pick
    Ok, bellinelli almost singlehandedly lost us that lakers playoff series in 2011. I don't have the stats, but if anyone finds them, I know the numbers will be atrocious. He missed a ridiculous amount of wide open 3's, to the point that it seemed like Kobe was doing everything he could to entice bellinelli to shoot. Also, the whole lakers offense was struggling in general (Pau!) but at times it seemed like Metta World Peace of all people was saving them. Ariza did an excellent job on Kobe considering the type of player that Kobe is, but bellinelli's defense was garbage and he allowed a ton of corner threes. Also, the fact that bellinelli was offering nothing on offense was allowing cp3 to basically be double teamed.

I'm not saying he never had good games for us, but you can't tell me that if bellinelli is at least average in that series, we don't beat the lakers.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbywmccarty View Post
    Role????didnt he start and log heavy minute for us ??? He had plenty of chances and never did much.
    Yes, his role was a starter. He should not have been a starter. Marco did what you would expect of a player of his caliber. Had he been a backup getting 18-20 minutes a game, he would've looked great.

Thread Information