Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: OMG, Drummond or Lillard - What Could Have Been

Quote Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
    I knew we should have done whatever it took to move up to draft one of these two.

We could have gotten Drummond by trading up to the Raps two spots ahead. We could have got their pick very cheaply because there was no way the Pistons would have taken their pick, Terrence Ross.

Maybe Lillard was out of our reach, but I knew he was going to be a star.

Now Drummond is looking like the reincarnation of Shaquille O'Neal and Lillard is probably an all-star level point guard. Both are going to be stellar players in the league for years and years to come.

Why were the Hornets so stuck on Austin Rivers?!?

Here's what the guy said about him on "At the Hive":

"Speaking of different situations, it's becoming very apparent that Austin Rivers will struggle when playing in non-isolation situations. His only trait is his ability to get to the rim in 1-on-1 situations and finish/draw contact (something I've repeatedly seen). But he's struggled in catch-and-shoot situations, both at Duke, in Summer League and in Preseason. He also struggles to "straddle" on pick and rolls (this is my own terminology). Straddling the pick and roll is when you can get the attention of both the roll man defender and your own defender - something which CP3 spoiled us with over the years. I know he's new to this and I know it's not the regular season and I know he's 19. But this doesn't help my nerves at all."

I love how you guys are rewriting history saying he was picked as a project. Show me somewhere where they say that.

Re: OMG, Drummond or Lillard - What Could Have Been

^ what about the statements from Monty and Dell saying it is not about where he is now but where he is in his third season?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Here's what the guy said about him on "At the Hive":

"Speaking of different situations, it's becoming very apparent that Austin Rivers will struggle when playing in non-isolation situations. His only trait is his ability to get to the rim in 1-on-1 situations and finish/draw contact (something I've repeatedly seen). But he's struggled in catch-and-shoot situations, both at Duke, in Summer League and in Preseason. He also struggles to "straddle" on pick and rolls (this is my own terminology). Straddling the pick and roll is when you can get the attention of both the roll man defender and your own defender - something which CP3 spoiled us with over the years. I know he's new to this and I know it's not the regular season and I know he's 19. But this doesn't help my nerves at all."

I love how you guys are rewriting history saying he was picked as a project. Show me somewhere where they say that.
    From the start of the draft process that was one of the first thing says. Rivers being only 19 when the draft happened, vs Lillard being 22. We've always discussed how Lillard will have a bigger impact from day 1 because of how much older he is then Austin, while Austin will be learning a new position (and largely a new game vs the one he played at Duke). And someone needs to tell that writer that the real term for what he describes is "downing" the screen.

This is either one of the following:

1. Epic troll
    2. Overraction

I am undecided as of now.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    This is either one of the following:

1. Epic troll
    2. Overraction

I am undecided as of now.
    I think its overreaction. Its not like the Hornets took Rivers with the 1st overall pick. Just need to let everything play itself out.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    I think the odd thing here is no one is disputing sfernald's claim that Rivers hasn't shown any flashes of potential. He's shown his speed, his dribble moves, and his ability to get in front of his man and create turnovers. I think anyone who hasn't seen potential in Rivers' play yet simply doesn't want to see it.
    I didn't bother disputing it cuz...I didn't really READ the first post all that thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    If I remember correctly, you said Tyson Chandler as a peak.
    I should have said Serge Ibaka he's a better player comparsion pretty much all his benefits and all his weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    I could tell you that his "scouting report" is totally wrong after just a few preseason games.
    Outside of the comparison to Chandler(which I already spoke on) which part is "totally wrong"?

OMG, Drummond or Lillard - What Could Have Been

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Outside of the comparison to Chandler(which I already spoke on) which part is "totally wrong"?
    He can shoot way better than Chandler and can drive to the basket. He's not a post player, but I guy who will far up defenders and shoot over them or drive to the basket. Chandler can't do those things.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Re: OMG, Drummond or Lillard - What Could Have Been

It will be interesting to see if Davis bites on as many pumpfakes as Ibaka.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

You can make Ibaka jump by thinking about shooting.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Guys, you heard it here first: Drummond is the next Shaq.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Poster View Post
    Guys, you heard it here first: Drummond is the next Shaq.
    At shooting free throws?

Seriously WHAT IF Rick James had become the Hulk? WHAT IF!?!

...I've obviously lost my mind. Cuz that title looks like What if RICK JAMES became the Hulk.

And now I can't stop imagine giant green guy beating up Charlie Murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    He can shoot way better than Chandler and can drive to the basket. He's not a post player, but I guy who will far up defenders and shoot over them or drive to the basket. Chandler can't do those things.
    I was focused on his impact in the league which will be defense. Once again I admit Chandler wasn't the ideal comparison it wasn't until later after making that comparison it hit me that Ibaka is a much better comparsion.

As far as Davis driving and shooting read this clip from a scouting report.

With that said, Davis is still a fairly raw prospect in many facets offensively, giving him a considerable amount of room for growth as he continues to develop. If an opposing defense can force him to take a jump-shot, put the ball on the floor, or attempt to score in a post up situation, they have a more than three times better chance of stopping him than if he simply catches the ball in the paint in position to finish.

That doesn't jive very well with the "he grew 8 inches in one year and used to be a point guard!" part of his narrative you often hear on national TV broadcasts, but the truth is he rarely dribbles or takes a shot outside five feet, and isn't overly successful at the moment when he does.
    From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz29VJaTV1S
    http://www.draftexpress.com

So I don't know where this perception of him being able to just beat people off the dribble came from. In not one of the dozens of times I saw him at Kentucky whether live or videos do I see him exhibit the ablility to cleanly and consistently use his dribble to beat on-ball defenders.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    ...I've obviously lost my mind. Cuz that title looks like What if RICK JAMES became the Hulk.

And now I can't stop imagine giant green guy beating up Charlie Murphy.
    Dude, wow. Marvel did not do that lmao.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post

Big comic book fan when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s.

This one is my favorite what if....

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Maybe they did but no one wanted to trade with them. I just hope the three players they got in this draft, become All-Star.

Big comic book fan when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s.

This one is my favorite what if....

Now THAT is badass.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    ]\

HOLY CRAP

That white guys quote is the best part
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

I need a copy of this ^^^ comic. Classic quote from the white guy.

Thread Information