Pelicans Report

Thread: Austin Rivers' drive led him to New Orleans Hornets

Austin Rivers' drive led him to New Orleans Hornets

Winter Park, Fla. -- On a rare weekend when every member of his far-flung family was home last month, Austin Rivers declined a chance to play a final round of golf with his father Doc and headed to a gym at nearby Rollins College. Working alone, the New Orleans Hornets’ first-round draft pick lifted shot after shot, imagining there was a defender in front of him. First Derrick Rose. Then Deron Williams. Then Russell Westbrook, all players he’ll face in his rookie season in the NBA.

Only after taking almost 1,000 shots, and with sweat cascading down his young face, did the 19-year-old carefully place the balls back on the rack, lock the door and head home.

Rivers, 6 feet 4, 200 pounds, is blessed with coordination, speed and skills, but it is his drive that got him to the NBA. Nothing has mattered more to him than excelling on the basketball court.

That drive has fueled him since he was 9. Establishing an identity separate from his world-famous father, Boston Celtics Coach Glenn “Doc” Rivers, is another motivation.

“I was never concerned about being popular or becoming the homecoming king in high school,’’ Rivers said last month. “You have to sacrifice things to get to places. I wanted to be a normal kid. But in basketball I didn’t want to be normal. I wanted to be better than everybody.

“You got to understand that I’m not the fastest nor do I jump the highest. I’m not the tallest or the strongest; nobody is. So what separates you from everybody else, my whole thing is my work ethic. That’s what got me here.’’

And the combo guard said he’s always pushed to be independent.

"I just wanted to be my own man, have my own life and have my own dreams and it’s nothing against my dad,’’ Rivers said. "I’m blessed to have the father that I have. One thing about my dad, he let me figure out everything. He lets me do everything now. He let me pick my agent, pay my own bills. ... He just lets me do everything on my own. During my pre-draft workouts, he never came to any of them. He wanted me figure it out on my own.’’

Those close to Rivers are not surprised he was selected as the No. 10 pick in this past June’s draft by the Hornets, who are about two weeks away from opening the 2012-13 season, their first full season with Tom Benson as owner.

Rivers’ success started early, as he won his an AAU national championship when he was on a 10-and-under team. At 15, Rivers was offered a scholarship to Florida, becoming the youngest player to make a verbal commitment to Coach Billy Donovan’s program. As a junior and senior at Winter Park High School, he led the school to back-to-back state 6A championships.

As a senior in 2011, Rivers was rated as the No. 1 recruit in the nation by Rivals.com after ending his high school career as the second-leading scorer in Florida history with 2,926 points. In his only season at Duke, Rivers became just the third freshman to lead the team in scoring with a 15.5 average.

“To make it to the NBA is all he wanted,’’ said Therion Joseph, his AAU coach. "He probably was over-excessive with basketball. He probably had two or three good friends and one girlfriend throughout high school. You always saw him with a ball in his hand working in the gym.’’

Although Rivers was one of the most popular students, he rarely went to parties or even to the movies. Instead, Rivers was in the gym.

A few years ago, Doc and his wife, Kris, planned a two-week family vacation to the Cayman Islands. But they ended up canceling because Austin said he wouldn’t go because they had no access to a basketball court.

“He’s skilled as hell, but he’s got a mean competitive streak in him,’’ Doc Rivers said last month. "I think to be great you need to have that. I remember sitting many nights in my office and I look out the window and see Austin pulling in after 11 or midnight and getting out with his two basketballs sweating because he’s been at the gym. I never had to tell Austin to go work. But I’ve said Austin you have to slow down.’’

Rivers frequently watches highlights of NBA stars then goes out on the asphalt basketball court at home trying to duplicate their moves.

“Basically, it’s what I’ve done my whole life – I still do it all the time,’’ Rivers said. “I go watch Derrick Rose, Deron Williams and others. You can always learn from your peers and the people you are playing against. Each one does something better than the other.
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss..._river_default

Man that's a helluva family right there. Good for Doc and his wife.

i've never grown so fond of a player that I once disliked like I have with Rivers. he's a totally different person than what he was perceived to be at Duke. he's one of my favorites on this team and hope his drive pushes us and him to the top

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I don't know if he can be a PG (fingers crossed) but I know for a fact he will be a solid NBA player. Just too much determination and drive to fail.

People say he was born with a silver spoon, but that's BS. This guy has always wanted to create his own name and have nothing handed to him:

"I just wanted to be my own man, have my own life and have my own dreams and it’s nothing against my dad,’’ Rivers said. "I’m blessed to have the father that I have. One thing about my dad, he let me figure out everything. He lets me do everything now. He let me pick my agent, pay my own bills. ... He just lets me do everything on my own. During my pre-draft workouts, he never came to any of them. He wanted me figure it out on my own.’’
    This is why he'll be a great player for us:

“He’s skilled as hell, but he’s got a mean competitive streak in him,’’ Doc Rivers said last month. "I think to be great you need to have that. I remember sitting many nights in my office and I look out the window and see Austin pulling in after 11 or midnight and getting out with his two basketballs sweating because he’s been at the gym. I never had to tell Austin to go work. But I’ve said Austin you have to slow down.’’
    and this....

“Basically, it’s what I’ve done my whole life – I still do it all the time,’’ Rivers said. “I go watch Derrick Rose, Deron Williams and others. You can always learn from your peers and the people you are playing against. Each one does something better than the other.

"I look how Derrick Rose finishes at the rim and how he keeps his eye on the rim and how Deron Williams shoots behind the 3-point line so well. You look at all that stuff and try to incorporate all of it in your game. I’ve been watching a lot of (Oklahoma City Thunder guard) Russell Westbrook lately and how he comes off the pick-and-roll before he pops up for that mid-range shot.’’
    Now this is just nuts:

A few years ago, Doc and his wife, Kris, planned a two-week family vacation to the Cayman Islands. But they ended up canceling because Austin said he wouldn’t go because they had no access to a basketball court.

But it's why he'll be a great player for us. If I'm his siblings, though, I'm pissed because he just cost me a 2 week vacation in the Cayman Islands!!!

My dad would have said oh well and took off without me.

I'm really happy the team drafted Rivers and I think in a few yrs he will be the fan favorite

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    People say he was born with a silver spoon, but that's BS. This guy has always wanted to create his own name and have nothing handed to him:

This is why he'll be a great player for us:

and this....

Now this is just nuts:

But it's why he'll be a great player for us. If I'm his siblings, though, I'm pissed because he just cost me a 2 week vacation in the Cayman Islands!!!
    Only other Austin Rivers fan I know. They be talking about my boy. I place bets on him being ROY, IF Gordon stays injured because he'll be the main option and shot creator. Sounds sensible enough huh
    Ballin

Dont wanna be that guy, but i have to say it.

Austin Rivers drive and determination reminds me of Kobe Bryant.

Ok dont kill me folks.....
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    That type of drive to be great is what divides average players from great players.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He'll either be the most spectacular hard working elite player...or an example that hard work sometimes runs your butt into the ground.

I'm sure the kiddies will learn a ton from the latter happening.

Hard work and dedication ! He'll be a nice player for us !
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

I'm really starting to like him. That 3 pt shot against Carolina is slowly fading from my mind...

Austin Rivers' drive led him to New Orleans Hornets

Quote Originally Posted by Razorpens View Post
    Only other Austin Rivers fan I know. They be talking about my boy. I place bets on him being ROY, IF Gordon stays injured because he'll be the main option and shot creator. Sounds sensible enough huh
    Im an Austin fan

No way in hell Rivers will have a better rookie season than Davis.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

TBH if I had to pick my favorite Hornets I'd have to say Jason and Austin.
    I love the fact they want to be in a New Orleans uniform.
    The others seem cliche'
    The Hornets picked the other 13 guys.....but those two men picked the Hornets.
    Jason taking a cheap contract to stay a Hornet when things were tough and
    Austin declaring early on he wanted Monty and New Orleans.

I love this team and every player in it........I can't wait for this season to unfold!
    Its gonna be a special one!!!!!

Im glad honestly
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcuc View Post
    Im an Austin fan
    Thats great

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    No way in hell Rivers will have a better rookie season than Davis.
    And u, you're not a believer

I love Austin, how he speaks, his cockiness, his determination.. i hope he has a great season, cos with his recent performances they're so many doubters!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    I don't know if he can be a PG (fingers crossed) but I know for a fact he will be a solid NBA player. Just too much determination and drive to fail.
    This.

Playing point is a position that you can fine tune, but unlike the the other 4 spots I think playing PG is just as much about instincts and having a feel for teammates as it is about skill and talent. I really question the instincts and feel Rivers has, but I have little doubt he'll be at least a solid pro.

And u, you're not a believer
    I know he's not better than Davis. If you really believe he will have a better rookie year than Davis, you're just being an unbiased homer.

That hard work & determination from Rivers as well as Anthony Davis will rub off on some of the other players on the team.

I remember pre-draft, all the detractors talking about how selfish and cocky he was. I haven't seen any of that. I've seen a confident player, but humble guy who knows the work he has to put in to be a successful player in this league.
    Support Louisiana businesses.

^ Yeah, but he still has to learn better shot selection and how to keep his head up while driving so he can find open teammates. All that said, I actually like him as a player and really want him to succeed.

Thread Information