Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vasquez or Rivers, River or Vasquez.... may be Roberts?

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar
    as of now Vasquez is your starting pt guard......Rivers is the swing and Roberts is the backup...Rivers will get some pt minutes.....Its preseason.....Roberts is a scorer type,not the setup play maker.
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    So what happens when we play two quick guards?
    That's when Vasquez keeps the best seats in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Rivers is not the long term solution. He's not a PG and never will be. Also, he's not even that good at shooting guard. He's a shooting guard that can't shoot. Free throws either for that matter. Eveyone says its preseason wait for the real season to place judgement on Roberts but I say the same for Rivers. Its preseason/summer league and he's still not looking all that hot IMO. If he's not going to wow us in the preseason against guys trying to make the team, what is he going to do against the best players in the league?
    So after 2 preseason games... you feel that Rivers sucks and will suck forever. I get it now. Thanks.

Rivers is still learning. Sure he hasn't put up impressive numbers yet but I think he's playing more under control and trying to make plays.
    Lets hope he has a good game tonight and show us more of his potential.
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

To everyone that thinks that the Rivers is 19 excuse is a good one, tell me how long we have to wait for him (a shooting guard) to be able to actually shoot. The truth of the matter is that Rivers can't shoot but I always see where everyone is talking about his scoring ability. I don't see it. I hope that I am wrong but looking from a basketball point of view, Rivers is going to be marginal at best. If he turns out to be what everyone says he's going to be, I apologize in advance.

To everyone that thinks that the Rivers is 19 excuse is a good one, tell me how long we have to wait for him (a shooting guard) to be able to actually shoot. The truth of the matter is that Rivers can't shoot but I always see where everyone is talking about his scoring ability. I don't see it. I hope that I am wrong but looking from a basketball point of view, Rivers is going to be marginal at best. If he turns out to be what everyone says he's going to be, I apologize in advance.
    (btw Monty and Dell BOTH have said 3 years to REALLY see what a rookie can do.... so how long to wait.. 3 years)

Looks like he can shoot in this video....

I respect your opinion... and its ultimately up to Rivers to improve his game. But the dude has a work ethic and a drive to get better... its not as if he's satisfied where he's at and will not work to get better. I think my point is to just give the dude a chance. He's only played 3 preseason games... the transition from college (1 year) to the NBA ain't easy. but this gives us hope:

Strengths:
    *Can create his own shot or get shots for teammates off the bounce
    *Good 3-point shooter
    *Good handle
    *Competitor
    *Not afraid to take big shots

Weaknesses:
    *Could use a midrange, pull-up jumper in his arsenal
    *Has to make more free throws
    *Decision-making — when to shoot, when to dish, etc. — should improve as he mature
    The strengths outweigh the weaknesses... his weaknesses can become strengths as he gets more comfortable in the pro game.

What Insiders Say:

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski

“The kid’s got a special quality. He wants to be in the moments and we’re going to put him in those situations and sink or swim.”

Duke associate head coach Chris Collins

“He’s a combo. He’s not a true point. If you put him at the point, you’re taking away one of his greatest strengths, the ability to be in attack mode at all times. But he’s not just a shooting guard, either. He’s very good in pick and rolls. He’s actually better with the ball in his hands, making plays off the dribble, instead of being a catch-and-shoot guy.”
    http://www.nba.com/draft/2012/prospects/austin-rivers/

Many kids get "tagged" in high school and college when their teams ask them to attack... attack... attack. I think he can become a good NBA point guard, and his ability to attack will only help US. Derrick Rose and D Will aren't considered elite PGs because of their ability to share the ball alone... they can put the ball in the hoop.. which Austin can do as well.

I'm willing to give the kid time to develop, and I just think his ceiling is higher than yours.

Rivers is not the long term solution. He's not a PG and never will be. Also, he's not even that good at shooting guard. He's a shooting guard that can't shoot. Free throws either for that matter. Eveyone says its preseason wait for the real season to place judgement on Roberts but I say the same for Rivers. Its preseason/summer league and he's still not looking all that hot IMO. If he's not going to wow us in the preseason against guys trying to make the team, what is he going to do against the best players in the league?
    You don't know what you be talking about. So pessimistic, what kind of hornets fan are you??? You're not a believer
    Ballin

As a person who agree's with you about Rivers long term I have to tell you are coming to your conclusion way too soon.

There are a lot of 2 guards that aren't great shooters. DWade comes to mind. Scoring and shooting aren't mutually exclusive. Like with Ryan Anderson. He's a great shooter but not a scorer.

If Roberts had name recognition like the rest of those guys, he'll be a starter a la DJ Augustin somewhere in the league... He can play

^ Eh, I have not been very impressed with him. I dunno how to really express it, but he doesn't appear to be a guy that will be able to do what he is doing now when faced with actual NBA rosters trying to shut him down on a nightly basis.

I haven't seen Roberts play so I can't make a judgment.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

New Orleans Hornets point guard Greivis Vasquez in a battle for minutes with Brian Roberts

Before the preseason began, New Orleans Hornets point guard Greivis Vasquez was expected to get his stiffest challenge for minutes from rookie Austin Rivers.

But rookie free agent Brian Roberts has turned out to be one pushing Vasquez the most for playing time at the halfway point of the preseason.

With starting shooting guard Eric Gordon out with a sore right knee since the start of training camp, Rivers has played mostly shooting guard although he was projected to play more at point guard than shooting guard.

Though Hornets Coach Monty Williams said he remains committed toward starting Vasquez for the regular season, Roberts continues to be effective getting the team in its offensive sets quickly and has made shots.

While Vasquez has a team-high 14 turnovers, Roberts has committed only five after averaging 24 minutes a game, including one start.

Roberts has led the Hornets in scoring twice. He scored 12 of his game-high 17 points in the fourth quarter during their 85-80 victory against the Orlando Magic in the preseason opener and scored 16 points in a road victory against the Charlotte Bobcats last week.

Roberts is the Hornets' second-leading scorer with 11.8 average. No. 1 overall draft pick Anthony Davis leads the team with a 14.0 average.
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss....html#comments

Roberts only flaw is he's a tad undersized and not a pure point. But this is a league where a point guard that can score is turning into the rule, rather than the exception. And he's got a sweet perimeter game, which we need more of going forward.

Vasquez is getting beat off the dribble by just about everyone and I don't see an up tempo game in him.

BUT. Can he be consistent for the long haul as the starter? Vasquez is nothing special, but I'm comfortable with him handling the ball and he can manage a half court offense.

Even Monti is thinking about it.
    ""We’re still committed to Greivis, but Brian is making a case for minutes," Williams said. "Our best point guard is probably Eric Gordon. and getting him back can change that whole dynamic. But I think it’s great for our team when you got guys at your positions that push every single day.""
    I think at the moment it is all in Vasquez hands he really has to kick his energy up, cut down in TO, start making his jump shots and especially his flouter which has been completely absent so far this year. If he improves in that (I am not sure he can) then he will start and get plenty of minutes.

Always said that if Gordon wanted to he'd be a PG on a level with Rose and Westbrook.

Re: Vasquez or Rivers, River or Vasquez.... may be Roberts?

That quote about Gordon makes me wonder if he will play point and Rivers will be more of a SG for the team in a couple years. Could definitely keep defenses guessing since they are both capable ball-handlers and can play off the ball. Gordon is the better passer and playmaker so he would be the primary point but they would both be capable of running it (or that would be the plan).

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

In terms of the Rivers situation, I tend to think of it this way. This (and summer league) is probably the worst we will ever see Rivers consistently play. For the rest of his career. It makes his current play a lot more refreshing.

In terms of Roberts, I haven't even seen him play, so I won't make an opinion. But if it works out at all, he's a good addition. If not, who cares?
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Food for thought: Is Vazquez more valuable to us as a starter or a trade chip? Aka do we play him to get his value up or is he a part of our team moving forward beyond the next season or two? I think he's never going to be a good enough starter for a playoff team but very good backup 1. So if a deal came around to upgrade at C or SF i'd take the bait

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Rivers may or may not be our future at PG but Gravy is our present. I have seen nothing from Rivers that says he is going to explode on to the NBA scene as a great PG his rookie year. He has the talents/tools to develop into one though, it is not going to happen over night. Vasquez has only been in the NBA for 2 years and showed great improvement from year 1 to 2. I think if we do anything but let him start opening day we will be making the wrong decision. Don't get how some people say he isn't a good enough starter on a playoff team. What does that even mean? Vasquez has never and will never be a high minute guy, and being the starter really means nothing, it is about minutes and at what time in the game that player gets those minutes. The 1 time in 2 seasons he went to the playoffs he played pretty good in limited minutes.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 10-15-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    Food for thought: Is Vazquez more valuable to us as a starter or a trade chip? Aka do we play him to get his value up or is he a part of our team moving forward beyond the next season or two? I think he's never going to be a good enough starter for a playoff team but very good backup 1. So if a deal came around to upgrade at C or SF i'd take the bait
    This is exactly why I have said before. From a strategic point of view (results aside) starting with Vasquez for most of the season is the most cleaver think to do. After what we have seen so far, I don't think that starting with Vasquez, Rivers or Roberts as a PG is going to make that big a difference if Gordon is healthy. so think about this. Lets say that Vasquez starts most of the games and plays some 25 MPG, if he gets just 8 to 10 PPG and 7 to 9 assists PG his value will increase significantly. That would give us plenty of options for next year, as we can trade him as a starting PG for a non competitive team that needs one or as a solid back up PG to a good team, and in the worst scenario we can keep him and have a well groomed and developed back up / spot starting PG for the future.

Vasquez plays a vital role in getting Davis involved. I don't see Roberts showing that ability just yet. Neither Rivers or Roberts is capable of running the offense the way Vasquez can. Vasquez future with the team depends heavily on how Roberts/Rivers pans out. Until someone takes the starting job away from him, I don't see any reason to worry about his future here.

Thread Information