Pelicans Report

Thread: FOUR key stats.

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar

NBA FOUR key stats.

As we all watch games and enjoy talking about them there are 4 areas of play that i've been using over the years that reveal alot about team performance.

1.Effective FG%- The value of the 3-ball cannot be ignored aas it helps fill those empty possessions.Its a must have talent every team needs. The EFG% weighs in the value of the 3ball in the overall shooting % The league average is 48.7%

2.ORR ( offensive reb rate)-what percentage of off rebs per poss. league average last year was 26.9%

3. FTR ( free throw rate) FT attempts vs Fg attempts...ave last year was 27.6

4.TOR ( turnover rate) what % of poss. result in a turnover...average was 13.7.

- Can you make 3's ?
    - What do you do with missed shots?
    - Can you get to the FT line?
    - Do you take care of the ball?

Four key areas that will impact a game.

Of course there are levels to all of these,but you pretty much get the picture.
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

It may be too much to ask, but if you could refresh us throughout the year at certain checkpoints like every 10-15 games to show how we stack up. It would be greatly appreciated. I think it is very interesting, but I know this thread will get buried and I will forget the 4 stats to look for.

Add FTM/FT% to the equation. The team has been shooting a miserable 62% from the stripe after two games. We shot around 75% last year. I have no doubt in my mind we'll average more than the 21.2 attempts from last season due to the make up of the roster.

The 3 point shot, and the ability to defend it, is crooshall. I think some take this shot for granted nowadays. A 5 point lead can balloon to 20 in a blink if a team gets some stops and gets hot from 23.

I will update key trends all year as well as observations......trips to the FT LINE is a vital stat.....I will also dig into rankings for you.

POINT GUARDS: Derek Fisher, Gilbert Arenas, Earl Boykins, Mike Bibby, Mike James, Manny Harris, Baron Davis

SHOOTING GUARDS: Leandro Barbosa, Mickael Pietrus, Michael Redd, Maurice Evans, Jason Kapono

SMALL FORWARDS: Josh Howard, Shawne Williams, Bobby Simmons, Bill Walker, Jamario Moon, Renaldo Balkman

POWER FORWARDS: Kenyon Martin, Ryan Gomes, Troy Murphy, Derrick Caracter, Jordan Williams, Juwan Howard, Francisco Elson

CENTERS: Ben Wallace, Erick Dampier, Greg Oden, Sean Williams, Tony Battie, Mehmet Okur, Hassan Whiteside

Thought i'd add some available FA's for you to gaze at.

NOLA HORNET: FT RATE covers that area you mentioned.

Thread Information