Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vasquez or Rivers, River or Vasquez.... may be Roberts?

Vasquez or Rivers, River or Vasquez.... may be Roberts?

If Vasquez or Rivers start as PG on day 1 has been a long discussion over the break, so far after 3 games, Rivers has looked much better as SG but a long way from a starting PG position. Vasquez has looked very much like a back up PG. Roberts on the other hand has surprised with his offense, and in the last game with his 8 assists and only 2 TO (plus a nice 16 points) like a more serious candidate for starting PG. moreover, Monti appears impressed with him in his last interview. Do you guys think Roberts is potentially a serious option as starting PG?

Let's wait and see what he does against a competent team before we jump the gun. I love his game though. I think he has the potential to be a starting caliber PG but I definitely need to see him do it against a competitive team first. If Roberts somehow earn the starting position, our bench will be deadly with Rivers,Vasquez, Mason, Anderson, Smith, Thomas, and Miller. I'm liking the overall depth of this team. A far cry from last season.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Roberts is good, but guys arn't currently scouting him and its preseason. Lets give it time and a regular season game or two before we start thinking like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Roberts is good, but guys arn't currently scouting him and its preseason. Lets give it time and a regular season game or two before we start thinking like this.
    This.

Give it a month, if he's still performing like this, then by all means give him the spot

Roberts can't run an offense from what I've seen. He can score, but he certainly can't play PG for a good team.

He's an end of bench scorer.

Jannero Pargo?

Vasquez or Rivers, River or Vasquez.... may be Roberts?

Quote Originally Posted by carpo_07 View Post
    Jannero Pargo?
    Isnt he with the Wizards?

Can't really tell how Rivers looks at point because he's barely played it. However, he's looked (or sounded) good penetrating and dishing. Probably won't get a good idea on that until and unless Gordon gets off the bike and on the court. Vasquez got off to a bad start but has leveled off now. Roberts is pre-season MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    pre-season MVP.
    Like being the prettiest girl at fat camp.

RESPECT DA KID!!! Contributor BigChris504's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    It put a "Smirk" on my face

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    With a nice six figure contract.

before the year is over Robert's will be a clutch player for the hornets ......who start might not be who end games for the hornets
    4th QTR TEAM---- B. Robert's, E. Gordon, Aminu, A. Davis, J Smith or R. Anderson ---good offensive and defensive team when games are on the line...

YOU PLAY THE PLAYERS THAT WIN GAMES
    PLAY TO WIN $

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Hate to say it but Roberts looking like a better backup PG at this point in time.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    One thing you can't say is jumping the gun is that Vasquez will still have real trouble guarding quick players. But that's where Eric Gordon comes in, hopefully.

I like what he's done so far, he seems like a gutsy veteran. He's definitely the kind of guy to come off the bench, give you 10 quick points, and then go back on the bench when it comes time for crucial moments. I don't see him on the floor at the end of games, not yet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    One thing you can't say is jumping the gun is that Vasquez will still have real trouble guarding quick players. But that's where Eric Gordon comes in, hopefully.
    So what happens when we play two quick guards?

Roberts has played well if he continue to play this well all preseason he should get a chance to play when the games are counted. However I would pump the brakes a little with the expectations of him until after the season starts.

Preseason guys... Roberts is ballin but against who?

Vasquez has been thru the fire he'll be this team's starting point. However... Roberts is showing that he can score the ball, so I expect Roberts to get minutes. But I don't see him starting over GV. Rivers is the long-term solution, but Roberts does show promise.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Preseason guys... Roberts is ballin but against who?

Vasquez has been thru the fire he'll be this team's starting point. However... Roberts is showing that he can score the ball, so I expect Roberts to get minutes. But I don't see him starting over GV. Rivers is the long-term solution, but Roberts does show promise.

Rivers is not the long term solution. He's not a PG and never will be. Also, he's not even that good at shooting guard. He's a shooting guard that can't shoot. Free throws either for that matter. Eveyone says its preseason wait for the real season to place judgement on Roberts but I say the same for Rivers. Its preseason/summer league and he's still not looking all that hot IMO. If he's not going to wow us in the preseason against guys trying to make the team, what is he going to do against the best players in the league?

I think Rivers has been solid. Not sure that he's been disappointing at all, unless you're trying to grade him harshly.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Rivers is not the long term solution. He's not a PG and never will be. Also, he's not even that good at shooting guard. He's a shooting guard that can't shoot. Free throws either for that matter. Eveyone says its preseason wait for the real season to place judgement on Roberts but I say the same for Rivers. Its preseason/summer league and he's still not looking all that hot IMO. If he's not going to wow us in the preseason against guys trying to make the team, what is he going to do against the best players in the league?
    I keep coming back to this one detail.......He is 19 years old.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 10-15-2012 at 03:43 PM.

I've been a starch opponent of playing Rivers at the point and while I wasn't outraged at the pick I really didn't care for it overall and would have went in a different directions. It's way too early to say he won't play well. He's a young rookie and while it's great to have every high draft pick to come out blazing assuming that early struggles are the end all be all is very premature.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    No offense to anyone, but you're outta your freakin mind if you think Roberts is stealing any minutes away from Rivers or Gravy.

Good preseason though.
    Wherehappens.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Do you even understand how preseason works for the 4/5 teams in the league that don't have Bron/Kobe/etc.? YES, it's preseason... no it's not summer league actually and he actually looked pretty "hot" last game.

It's used for DEVELOPMENT. Imagine that. You're passing judgement on a 19 year old kid and saying that he will NEVER be a PG and isn't even that good at 2 when he hasn't played one game yet?

Just stop it.

Roberts is the only true-look point guard on the hornets roster, Gravy, Rivers, Gordon, and roger mason are all combo guards, they can play both the 1 and 2, and all four of them have terrific size for guards, which will make our D thrive. This group of youngsters can only get better at this point, and Dell Demps has the ball in HIS court next off season with all that CAP room, I'm extremely excited.

Thread Information