Pelicans Report

Thread: Hornets need to improve in… EVERYTHING

Hornets need to improve in… EVERYTHING

I know yesterday's was the first game of the season and sloppy play was expected, but this is not the first preseason opener that I have seen in my life, and there was not that much to rescue from the way we played. I started the game being startled by how badly Vasquez was playing, to the point that it prevented me from realizing that with the exception of Davis, Roberts and perhaps Smith, ALL hornets players look like summer league trainees (just for the record I know it will improve, but steel). If we analyze by position, well Point guard was pretty close to disaster. Greivis was all over the place, although during the 3rd quarter he provided the closest to an NBA point guard that we had in the whole game. Rivers was half good as second guard, but looked lost as a point guard. Roberts was a bit better because he scored a lot, but steel he did not drive the offense with the firs unit on (if we had a firs unit). Positions 2 and 3 where probably the biggest disaster, not only we missed and incredible amount of jump shots and 3s, but many of them where bad shots anyway. Under the basket, Davis was fairly solid, but Lopez looked lost. Smith looked like a good sixth man, but nothing outstanding. In summary I really think we have to improved through the board to even become half a decent team, otherwise a new tanking season is in the way. By the way, if we lose Gordon for injury we will be absolutely dead.

You said it right, its Pre-season, Miami lost, Lakers got hammered, Boston lost to a European team and players are not yet fit or giving 100% till an actual game day.. so chill we won and im sure once we get Gordon and everyone is giving 100% on the court in a real game we will be fine.

They started training camp not even a week ago, then played against a veteran team (compared to the Hornets anyway)... its a process.

Ahhhhhh!!!! Everyone panic!!!

Even if the Hornets are ****y this year, I will still watch there games and attend! I love my team man! Win or tank!
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

It should be clear to everyone that after the first pre season game we need to fire Monty Williams and all the coaches and cut all the starters. It's obvious now that Davis and Rivers are both massive busts, and it should be clear why everyone said that we were fools to even think about drafting Anthony Davis in the first place.

Demps and Loomis should be fired too.

On second thought, Benson should just sell this team. He has been owner for a whole pre season game and just cannot win an NBA championship. The Heat won the title after their first pre season game. Boston won 17 of them after the first pre season game. We are just terrible.

Why did we run George Shinn out of town? He brought us quality losses in pre season game #1. This regime just wins the game. How dare this team win the game?

Now, onto the next story in this edition of The Onion...

Quote Originally Posted by cki3915 View Post
    It should be clear to everyone that after the first pre season game we need to fire Monty Williams and all the coaches and cut all the starters. It's obvious now that Davis and Rivers are both massive busts, and it should be clear why everyone said that we were fools to even think about drafting Anthony Davis in the first place.

On second thought, Benson should just sell this team. He has been owner for a whole pre season game and just cannot win an NBA championship. The Heat won the title after their first pre season game. Boston won 17 of them after the first pre season game. We are just terrible.

Why did we run George Shinn out of town? He brought us quality losses in pre season game #1. This regime just wins the game. How dare this team win the game?

I love overreactions.

post of the year

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar

Finally a poster with some common sense.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post

Even if the Hornets are ****y this year, I will still watch there games and attend! I love my team man! Win or tank!
    *Highest five that can be given* lol

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Why is it that constructive criticsm causes everyone to become so defensive?

The OP made some good points which deserve exploration, not silly 'oh noez its only da first game stop hating!!1!!'

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post

The OP made some good points which deserve exploration, not silly 'oh noez its only da first game stop hating!!1!!'
    People have a hive mind around here... Ok, pun intended but the point still stands. Either state the group opinion or bend over.
    @DanielVeuleman

I like when someone makes a point and explains the logic behind it while simultaneously not being an overreaction. Go too extreme one way or the other and I tend to not listen to you. Point out things to watch to see if they improve. Don't just go overboard because things don't look the way you expect in the first preseason game.

Different sport, but the Jets scored like 49 points in their first game of this preseason. They would now be lucky to score 21 against the Saints defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post

Because there is a difference between constructive criticism and basically saying that all is lost after the first pre-season game. Especially when we have no idea what the team was trying to do. We know that they are not trying to win the game. They are evaluating players, plays, sets, combinations, sequences. They also have been in camp abiout a week, so if there is a lack of rhythm out of the PG positon, i think there is a good reason for that.

Oh..and the part in the title about improving everything...that applies to each and every NBA team after pre-season game #1.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I am not worried about the shooting at all. What we saw last game was just rust and will most definitely get better with every game played. Even with the Hornets needing to improve "everything" we still finished the game strong and won. When you can play as bad as you did in the first half and still win, that says something about your team. Monty will not let these guys give up.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

What's that the kiddies used to say?

Don't talk about it; be about it? Only without the use of a semi-colon. Set the example then. Explore as is deserved.

...I won't cuz the block of text with oddly consistent errors threw me off reading it at first.

But giving it the once over. He does kind of make sweeping assumptions about our offense, Rivers looking half-decent at best and lost at worst. If some take umbr...umbrell...umbrudge? Screw it. If some don't like it, that's how it be.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 10-09-2012 at 11:47 AM.

more than half our team is new... we only had 2-3 days of team practice before the game, not enough to get an offense down. along with that it's the first training camp in two years for guys who were in the league and completely new for our rookies

i wouldn't expect much better tonight, but luckily we're almost a month away still

I mean, Ryan Anderson missed like 8 3s. If he hits his normal percentage, he drops 12 or 15 more points. PUtting us right around 100.

I'm not as worried about our offense as some, believe it or not. With or without Gordon. Not gonna be an offensive juggernaut, but we're better than last year already, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I mean, Ryan Anderson missed like 8 3s. If he hits his normal percentage, he drops 12 or 15 more points. PUtting us right around 100.

I'm not as worried about our offense as some, believe it or not. With or without Gordon. Not gonna be an offensive juggernaut, but we're better than last year already, I think.
    Dont want to be a doom sayer but he has always struggled with his shooting without Dwight drawing 5 defenders in the middle.

Re: Hornets need to improve in… EVERYTHING

Dont want to be a doom sayer but he has always struggled with his shooting without Dwight drawing 5 defenders in the middle.
    That is factually incorrect. He struggles with his shot in the playoffs, though.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

That's a cause. The effect was he wasn't as open to take his shots. His release isn't all that quick.

With Gordon and Rivers, he should have the same open looks just with different players.

That's not true at all.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Thread Information