Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hornets center Robin Lopez excited about new challenge as team's starter

Hornets center Robin Lopez excited about new challenge as team's starter

Just the look, the wild hair, the menacing scowl, the fiery eyes, the 7-foot frame, all conspire to paint a rather disquieting portrait of New Orleans Hornets center Robin Lopez.

Who is this rather ominous appearing individual who will anchor the middle on both ends of the floor for the Hornets this season?

Hornets Coach Monty Williams sees the hair, the appearance, the countenance and envisions the kind of basketball player he hopes will fill a void the team has had at the five position since Williams took over as coach in 2010.

"I see a guy who has tremendous size, defensive oriented, got some skill on the block has a pretty good IQ for the game and has a lot of passion," Williams said. "Sometimes that gets in the way a little bit. But it's a good thing. It's not negative or selfish. And he'll admit he's not your average NBA guy. But I kind of like that.

"So many guys in the NBA are cookie-cutout. One guy puts on those stupid glasses, everybody's putting them on. The next thing they'll be carrying canes to the games as fashion pacemakers. It's getting out of hand with all that. He's a guy who kind of walks on his own and doesn't care what people thing."

Label the 24-year-old Lopez eccentric, if you will. It seems to fit.

Yet the 7-foot, 255 pound Lopez, who's twin brother Brook plays the same position for the Brooklyn Nets, is off the court a thoughtful, soft-spoken, articulate, sometimes tempestuous individual who indeed marches to the beat of his own, singular drummer.
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss..._river_default

He is still so young for a big man. I feel he has loads of potential and I have to imagine he will only get better. I am sure as with every player he has negatives, but I am predicting we got a steal with him.

One guy puts on those stupid glasses, everybody's putting them on. The next thing they'll be carrying canes to the games as fashion pacemakers.
    I'd sit and have a beer with coach and I don't even drink. He'd always get 100% out of me on that court. A man's man.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I'd sit and have a beer with coach and I don't even drink. He'd always get 100% out of me on that court. A man's man.
    LOL he basically called out Durant, Westbrook, Wade, Lebron, and crew haha Love it.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    LOL he basically called out Durant, Westbrook, Wade, Lebron, and crew haha Love it.
    I love Monty! It's awesome to hear him call out stupid trends in sports and society and its funny lol. My expectations with Lopez is low, but I really wish he truly flourish and succeed . I love what he stands for image and mentality wise.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    God bless Monty Williams. Seriously. The guy speaks the truth everytime he speaks.

BTW, I'm actually expecting pretty good things out of Lopez this year. I think he'll do pretty well.

Well that should put to bed all the silly notions that Lopez wasn't brought in to start at center. The arguments over that or if the Hornets even needed to go after a starting center this year were rather funny.

Does this mean Anderson is starting at the 3 or becoming the teams 6th man??

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    If I had to guess, he would come in off the bench at 5 or 4 depending on the game and situation. Either way it's a mismatch on the arc and he can play inside.
    Wherehappens.

Im really interested to see where Warrick fits in and how many minutes. He has some skills/length/athleticism the Hornets could use.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I don't about him doing his on thing.

Im really interested to see where Warrick fits in and how many minutes. He has some skills/length/athleticism the Hornets could use.
    He's going to battle Aminu for minutes. Depends on what the team needs. Offense or defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    He's going to battle Aminu for minutes. Depends on what the team needs. Offense or defense?
    Warrick gives you neither

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    I hope he and Rivers head the bench scoring.

Rivers breaks down the initial defender, the big covering Anderson rotates in, Rivers kicks it out, swish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughka View Post
    I hope he and Rivers head the bench scoring.

Rivers breaks down the initial defender, the big covering Anderson rotates in, Rivers kicks it out, swish, wash, rinse, repeat.
    That would be gorgeous. It would be like watching Chris Paul do the pick and roll. I don't care how old it gets, it got the job done.
    "Davis is gonna be the best Basketball Player Ever. ......Please quote me." -Silverfoxx

Hornets center Robin Lopez excited about new challenge as team's starter

I doubt Warrick gets any minutes. He's not a SF and there are 3 better PFs on the team. He can't defend perimeter players or shoot from the perimeter.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

"I don't think it will be hard," said Williams, who believes Lopez gives the Hornets a pair of critical attributes in the middle the team has lacked: defensive intensity and a consistent offensive threat. "It could be hard on some days, but that's just the league. I know what he wants, so it doesn't bother me at all.
    Huh? I haven't followed Robin much, but I always thought he was a defensive player who didn't have much of an offensive game. For those that know his game well, does he have a low-post game that I don't know about?

Quote Originally Posted by diablo1356 View Post
    Warrick gives you neither
    He'a got length and some offense. I remember him killing the Hornets on one occasion. A leaner, more athletic Carl Landry, but worse on ball defender.

The 2009-2010 Lopez is a starting caliber center. Good in the pick n roll since he can make an open jumper, energetic, and solid rebounder.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Huh? I haven't followed Robin much, but I always thought he was a defensive player who didn't have much of an offensive game. For those that know his game well, does he have a low-post game that I don't know about?
    Not really, he has a pretty ugly strong side hook shot and can hit an open jumper, maybe that's what Coach was referring to. I just love his energy and how young he is.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Lmaooo wow never seen that pic before, god, who let that on their team?
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    Lmaooo who let that on their team?
    Ummmm...a pretty smart person, wouldn't you say?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Let's just hope Lopez never has to guard Monty Williams.

Why people think Warrick won't contribute this year or get playing time is ridiculous. Warrick is a veteran player with some hop to his game, and Monty believe in playing a lot of players, Warrick will be a contributor off the bench this year.

Thread Information