Pelicans Report

Thread: Rivers says he's eager to begin training camp

Rivers says he's eager to begin training camp

After undergoing surgery in July to remove bone spurs from his right ankle, New Orleans Hornets Austin Rivers said he’s pain-free and eager to begin training camp on Tuesday.

Rivers worked out at the Alario Center earlier this week and showed no limitations while he took jump shots and worked on his ballhandling.

Austin, whom the Hornets selected as the 10th overall pick in the first round after they selected Anthony Davis with the No. 1 overall pick, initially injured his ankle during summer league play in Las Vegas during July. The injury forced him to miss three of the Hornets' five games.

``It is so nice that I’m finally playing with no pain,’’ Rivers said. ``I played a game and a half in summer league and I was in an extreme amount of pain.
    The only reason I was playing because I was so excited to be out there and it was the first time I put on a NBA uniform. But I shouldn’t had played.’’
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...rd_aust_3.html

This is why he will be great:

``He’s the one guy that I have to put a rule in for how much he works out,’’ Williams said. ``I’m still trying to figure out how I am going to do it but it’s a great problem to have. But I’ve got to share with him ways to work out and how recovery is part of his workout.’’
    I truly believe he is going to be a special player for us.

Just cant hide it

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post

They dont believe me but watch him closely
    Ballin

Two things he needs to work on while playing the point is playing off the ball and on the ball defense. Needs to make open jumpers, focus on making the right play and using his quick feet defensively.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post

Coaches rarely say good things like that about rookies, so I know coach means it.

I think even more so this year for us, the true value in Austin Rivers lies in the fact that he is our insurance against another EG10 injury. God forbid, should EG10 go down again, we will at least have another playmaker coming in behind him (playing his natural position no less). In no way is AR close to EG at this point but it's nice to know we don't have Marco as our SG this year.

Ideally though, Rivers will progress as the backup PG and play his 20-25 a game backing up EG and GV while getting ready to start at point next year. I will not be shocked if we see this kid drop multiple 20+ point games off the bench this year. To think we went from no offense to EG, AR, Ryno, and Davis, holy BLEEP.

I'm starting Rivers over Vasquez on my copy of NBA2K13

I'll give Rivers this: he might be the best interview I've ever seen as a rookie. Totally natural in front of the camera. At ease, charismatic, thoughtful, smart, expansive. I personally don't think that has much to do with basketball, but it's true that many of the great ones had that kind of presence, whereas guys who didn't have it often struggle to play up to their draft position.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Nate View Post
    I'm starting Rivers over Vasquez on my copy of NBA2K13
    Thats whats up. Real AR fan right here.

Gordon-85
    Davis-80
    Aminu-71
    Vasquez-70
    Anderson-69
    Mason-67
    Henry-67
    Rivers-67
    Warrick-65
    Lopez-64
    Smith-61
    http://www.operationsports.com/news/...classic-teams/
    lol aminu rated the third best player on the team

Quote Originally Posted by Razorpens View Post
    Thats whats up. Real AR fan right here.

Gordon-85
    Davis-80
    Aminu-71
    Vasquez-70
    Anderson-69
    Mason-67
    Henry-67
    Rivers-67
    Warrick-65
    Lopez-64
    Smith-61
    http://www.operationsports.com/news/...classic-teams/
    lol aminu rated the third best player on the team
    Wow. Anderson and Smith are way underrated.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Anderson is underrated for the same reasons Dirk has always been underrated. Shooting skills just don't reflect well onto PF overall ratings. If you sim with him on Association or play with him, the ratings will reflect they've done a pretty good job. Same applies to Smith, but they do underrate him like they do every year. His defense needs to be upped. I'm surprised to see Gordon all the way up to a 85 though. That's 3 points up from last year and he hardly played.

Quote Originally Posted by geauxbama View Post
    Wow. Anderson and Smith are way underrated.
    This is an old roster because they had Anthony Davis a 79 in the video but Ronnie tweeted he was a 80. Also Harrison Barnes is still on the Lakers. So Anderson might get in increase because he was Most Improved

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Overalls are overrated.

The video I seen on Operation Sports they got Davis listed at 79 overall as a center and Rivers 67 overall as a point guard. Guarantee if you move them to power forward and shooting guard their ratings will jump, especially Rivers.. That's what I plan on doing with the both of them and I'm starting Robin at the center because he's a true center.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Nate View Post
    The video I seen on Operation Sports they got Davis listed at 79 overall as a center and Rivers 67 overall as a point guard. Guarantee if you move them to power forward and shooting guard their ratings will jump, especially Rivers.. That's what I plan on doing with the both of them and I'm starting Robin at the center because he's a true center.
    Yeh maybe thats why their ratings are sorry
    Last edited by Razorpens; 09-29-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Thread Information