Pelicans Report

Thread: Kenner hopes for economic boost from Grand Theatre at Esplanade

Kenner hopes for economic boost from Grand Theatre at Esplanade

KENNER, La. - Kenner received an economic shot in the arm on Wednesday when it began work on a new movie theater at Esplanade Mall.

At 9:30 a.m., crews will break ground on the Grand 14 Esplanade, which will feature 14 screens, stadium seating and 3D digital projectors. One auditorium will have a three story high screen.

"I've always said there's a lot of things you can do in Kenner without having to leave the city limits. Well one of those things you had to do was go to a stadium theater, because we didn't have one. Now we do," said Mayor Mike Yenni. "There's no reason to leave Kenner now if you're a Kenner resident. We invite people in neighboring Metairie and St. Charles to come on!"

Kenner is very dependent on sales taxes and the hope is that the theater will be a big engine for the area, Yenni said.
    http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/jeff...171322601.html

I really hope this work well out here, because the theatre we have now is always empty. It would save me that trip to Metairie.

Quote Originally Posted by 504fan View Post
    I really hope this work well out here, because the theatre we have now is always empty. It would save me that trip to Metairie.
    I'm sure it will work out just fine. Didn't the previous theater at the Esplanade turn into a dollar theater or something? This new Grand will be nice and will draw people in.

What will they do with holyywood cinema ?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Weak. Movie theaters, and even malls to a degree, aren't the revenue generators they once were, and Kenner isn't exactly awash in extra cash either. They've already had two theaters fail in that area, and the only reason Hollywood Cinema has survived is because it's a cheap, second rate alternative that also shows Bollywood flicks on the weekends. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I'm sure it will work out just fine. Didn't the previous theater at the Esplanade turn into a dollar theater or something? This new Grand will be nice and will draw people in.
    No it didn't, but it should have been. Last time i went it was almost the same price as going to amc with not even half the quality. This new theatre would have to try to compete with what's offered at amc or they will fail.

Second rate theatres do not make it. It has to be top notch and keep up with the technology. Solomon will do that. The important part is will it draw people to the Mall and will the Kenner police do their jobs and stop the trash loitering in the mall. The Esplanade went from a premier mall when built to a place that people are scared to go and the security and police have never adjusted to correct the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 504fan View Post
    No it didn't, but it should have been. Last time i went it was almost the same price as going to amc with not even half the quality. This new theatre would have to try to compete with what's offered at amc or they will fail.
    This will be a Grand though like in Elmwood and Clearview right? If it is then it should offer what AMC is offering. 14 screens, 3D projectors, stadium seating. Sounds like it's going to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    Second rate theatres do not make it. It has to be top notch and keep up with the technology. Solomon will do that. The important part is will it draw people to the Mall and will the Kenner police do their jobs and stop the trash loitering in the mall. The Esplanade went from a premier mall when built to a place that people are scared to go and the security and police have never adjusted to correct the problem.
    I agree. I remember years ago I used to pass up Lakeside to drive to the Esplanade because it was really nice and bustling. I very rarely go to the Esplanade now. When my family and I go to the Olive Garden we always talk about how something needs to be done to help that mall because we'd hate to see it go down the way Belle Promenade did on the Westbank. They definitely need better stores because the last time I was there it looked like the mom and pops had taken over. I remember when Oakwood on the Westbank was going down. Now it looks to be doing a lot better.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Parrishes and cities around New Orleans are growing and getting more activities. The East as of now is dead, and Jazzland(of course ) And future big airport will make that section a little better. Opening the Plaza,mall and Movies somewhere in the east will be great too. The mall/plaza will help with no one having to get mugged after or during waiting in line for shoes. Our school are going to the next City Hall meeting for some youth stuff, so if you guys want anything to be atleast brought up, I'll do so.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    I agree. I remember years ago I used to pass up Lakeside to drive to the Esplanade because it was really nice and bustling. I very rarely go to the Esplanade now. When my family and I go to the Olive Garden we always talk about how something needs to be done to help that mall because we'd hate to see it go down the way Belle Promenade did on the Westbank. They definitely need better stores because the last time I was there it looked like the mom and pops had taken over. I remember when Oakwood on the Westbank was going down. Now it looks to be doing a lot better.
    It certainly didn't help when Dillard's left. That was my favorite store. I thought adding Target to the mall would increase its popularity, but I can't really say it has.

This is welcome news! Honestly I really wish they would reopen the Grand in NO East and another theatre somewhere else in the city. It has gotten to the point where I have almost stopped going to the movies because the AMC Palace in Elmwood and at Clearview are so overcrowded. I also find it a bit ridiculous that in a city of almost 400,000 we have only 2 movie theatres, one of which is a single screen and the other a smaller art house type, which is only open to persons 18 and older.
    In America there is New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans everywhere else is Cleveland. - Mark Twain

Building a brand new theatre in Kenner is a great idea in concept, but has the strong possibility of of failing. People who have the money to spend at this nice theatre will be scared to go if it over run with crime and other problems. Having top notch security will be crucial to sustain longterm. But I am not too optimistic.

Our movie theaters are so behind the times. I went to this movie theater in Huntsville called Monaco and it blew me away. It was Canal Place on steroids at an even cheaper price, bigger screens, better sounds, nicer seats, greater menu selection, party atmosphere, reserved seating, etc. Smaller-scale, less-tech theaters are great for when you don't want to be bothered by a crowd. There is a niche market for them but they won't be as profitable.

Thread Information