Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Free Agency

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

2002 Free Agency

Lets begin Free Agency now. Remember, thread title needs to only be the players name. I will increase the salary cap by 1 million to make up for the contracts. Inside the thread, you post your offer like this:

Number of Years - First Year Salary - Percentage Increase

Deadlines:
    September 25th
    October 2nd
    October 4th

Here is how FA breaks down:

If a player is signing with a new team:

1) The contract can be for up to 6 seasons.

2) The player can receive a raise each year of up to 10% of the value of the first year of the contract.

3) The maximum value of the first year of the contract is the smaller of the amount of cap room the team has and the maximum salary the player can receive based up his experience in the league(see table below).

If a player is resigning with his previous team and has 3 or more bird years:

1) The contract can be for up to 7 seasons.

2) The player can receive a raise each year of up to 12.5% of the value of the first year of the contract

3) The player can receive the larger of the maximum salary based on his experience and 120% of his previous salary in the first year of the contract.

If a player is resigning with his previous team and has less than bird years:

2) The player can receive a raise each year of up to 10% of the value of the first year of the contract.

3) The player can receive the larger of the team's salary cap room(up to the maximum salary) and 120% of his previous salary in the first year of the contract.

Teams over the salary cap also may offer a player one of their two salary cap exceptions:

1) Mid Exception - one-year offer of $4,500,000

2) Low Exception - one-year offer of $1,200,000

Each exception may only be used once per season.

Players can only be signed for two years at league minimum if team is over cap.

Bird Years:

Bird years are the number of seasons a player has gone without changing teams via free agency. When a player is traded, he maintains his bird years.

Salary based on experience:

Exp Min Max
    0 $332,817 $10,625,000
    1 $465,850 $10,625,000
    2 $540,850 $10,625,000
    3 $565,850 $10,625,000
    4 $590,850 $10,625,000
    5 $653,350 $10,625,000
    6 $715,850 $10,625,000
    7 $778,350 $12,750,000
    8 $840,850 $12,750,000
    9 $965,850 $12,750,000
    10+ $1,000,000 $14,875,000
    Last edited by AD23forMVP; 09-25-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    I have a question:

Currently I'm under the cap, so I wouldn't have access to using the MLE. Is it possible for me to re-sign my own players (to get over the cap) and use the MLE on the same deadline, or do I have to wait until the next deadline to wait to use the MLE?

The next.

If a player is resigning with his previous team and has less than bird years:

3) The player can receive the larger of the team's salary cap room(up to the maximum salary) and 120% of his previous salary in the first year of the contract.
    are there 2 cap room figures? I'm confused

Change of plans, have all bids for the first sim in by 7:30 tonight, the sim will be done at 8.

I assume not all players will be simmed at once, just like last off-season correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

All the players that have a offer are simmed, but they all don't actually sign right away.

oh, so that's how it worked. thanks.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    It's gonna be interesting to see what players accept what deals. A lot of low-balling going on right now.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    It's gonna be interesting to see what players accept what deals. A lot of low-balling going on right now.
    Dang it looks like a sim-lockout is on the way. lol but really it looks that most players probably even won't sign after the first sim but you never know.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    A few players will sign for sure. Lot of low ball deals but a lot of mediocre players being overpaid as well.

Any bids submitted at 7:31 or later will be DELETED

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    since no one really signed, can we just do another sim in like 30 min? LOL

Can we bid now that sim is over?

yep

negotiations go back and forth, i think were gonna need more than 3 sims

a sim everyday if its possible is what im thinking of

I think the game only allows three sims but i'm not positive. Either way, a bulk of the players will sign after the second sim. The same thing happened last year.

Also gotta wonder if some people realize you can only have 15 players lol.

What is the specific rule on resigning your own players and going over the cap? I thought the Bird years and going over the cap etc... really only applied to handing out max contracts to stars. No offense to BallSoHard but he is the first person I've seen, but he's handing out pretty substantial contracts to backups and 3rd stringers and able to go over the cap. I don't think this is why the rule was put in place.
    #FREEQUAIL

Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    I think the game only allows three sims but i'm not positive. Either way, a bulk of the players will sign after the second sim. The same thing happened last year.

Also gotta wonder if some people realize you can only have 15 players lol.
    Yeah i think so as well. I think he presses sim and the decisions are made, can't add them.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFaninKY View Post
    What is the specific rule on resigning your own players and going over the cap? I thought the Bird years and going over the cap etc... really only applied to handing out max contracts to stars. No offense to BallSoHard but he is the first person I've seen, but he's handing out pretty substantial contracts to backups and 3rd stringers and able to go over the cap. I don't think this is why the rule was put in place.
    Thats real life CBA, not the game. I asked the question and got my answer and am working within the rules. The only advantage to bird years is being able to sign a 7 year deal and not 6. Also, there was someone who offered a max 1 year deal in trying to resign their own guy, so i'm not the only one. Thanks.

beeball offered a 1 year max deal to Hardaway lol. And somehow he declined it wtf

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Thats real life CBA, not the game. I asked the question and got my answer and am working within the rules. The only advantage to bird years is being able to sign a 7 year deal and not 6. Also, there was someone who offered a max 1 year deal in trying to resign their own guy, so i'm not the only one. Thanks.
    I'm not saying your the only one, I'm just trying to find the actual rule. It just seems silly to me. So next year when half of my team expires, I'll have 30 million in cap, what if I offer 2 stars 14 million each, they sign with me in the first sim. And all of my players don't sign on the first sim. I can resign all of my guys and basically offer max contracts and go 50 million over the cap? I'm not trying to start an argument I'm actually just trying to find out what exactly the rules are and the thread were your question was answered.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me and can we even find what their salary was the previous year if they are free agents?

Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    beeball offered a 1 year max deal to Hardaway lol. And somehow he declined it wtf
    Yeah, I'd be upset about that if it happened to me honestly. Was using it as another example besides myself. I personally am for a hard cap and making people have 4 bird years before being able to resign them over the cap, but you have to put things in perspective for a moment and realize next year when all the 2nd round picks who are very valuable guys wouldn't have 4 bird years and would not be able to sign over the cap. Maybe after next season it can be put in place since all of the main valuable players will be signed already and the all of the rookie class will have allowed their 4 bird years to resign. I am playing within the rules disctated to us though.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFaninKY View Post
    I'm not saying your the only one, I'm just trying to find the actual rule. It just seems silly to me. So next year when half of my team expires, I'll have 30 million in cap, what if I offer 2 stars 14 million each, they sign with me in the first sim. And all of my players don't sign on the first sim. I can resign all of my guys and basically offer max contracts and go 50 million over the cap? I'm not trying to start an argument I'm actually just trying to find out what exactly the rules are and the thread were your question was answered.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me and can we even find what their salary was the previous year if they are free agents?
    You can sign the stars but you risk losing all of your own players in the first sim and rights to sign over the cap.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Commish, a question for you sir!

Could we do FA sim 2 and 3 tonight (maybe 7:30 and 10?) and then leave the remainder of the signings to when you get back next week? If we leave time between sim 2 and 3 people will go stir crazy (remember trade deadline last season? lol)

Thread Information