Pelicans Report

Thread: Hornets work out Japeth Aguilar

Hornets work out Japeth Aguilar

Nope, not really.. Only what has been reported recently about his workouts for other teams... I'm really not opposed to bringing in unknowns to training camp; who knows, they could turn out alright. Non-guaranteed contracts are a blessing.

Filipino here. I know him very well. We went to the same school (Ateneo de Manila) and came from the same province (Pampanga, PH).

He's a 6' 9" PF that's very athletic and he has good lateral movement. He's skinny though.plus he lacks focus (enough that the coach of our National team didn't include him in the final roster), and slacks on games. He doesn't make a good % of his jumpers (based on his pro career in the PH) but he has good form (IMO).

On a purely athletic standard, he's supposed to be an NBA player. But skillset wise and his character scream like he's not ready. I've always believed that in order for someone from the PH to make it to the NBA, he'd have to dominate the PBA (our pro league). Aguilar didn't do that. Instead, he relied so much on his athleticism (which coupled with his 6' 9" frame made him a giant among dwarves).

Personally, I don't care if he makes it or not. I don't see a future for him in the NBA. He's already been a professional for I think 4 years and he still hasn't devoted enough time to develop his jumper enough so that he's consistent. He hasn't devoted enough time in the gym to build on his frame. This was with the lighter PBA schedule. What more in an 82 games over 5~6 month NBA schedule?

If i was rooting for any PH player to make it to the NBA (I believe there hasn't been a PH born, PH citizen and someone who has PH ancestry that's made it to the NBA. Lots of NBA players have some "PH" blood in them, but it's usually very small like 1/4 or 1/8th), it's Bobby Ray Parks Jr., #34 SG HS Prospect back in 2011 and #117 Nationally back in 2011. He's also set to try out for teams (after the collegiate season is over). So there you have it, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

BTW, he was teammates with Courtney Lee in Western Kentucky University (he transferred there after 2 years of college in Ateneo).

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He can't be that bad. He played for Burger King.

2009-10 Burger King 1 24.0 .333 .000 .600 9.0 2.0 0 1 10.0

Lol. Where do they find these guys? It's really amazing!
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Obligatory

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Thanks for posting DD. Seems athletic but nothing spectacular. Camp body.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    All wire thin guys with no jumpers turn into stars, right?
    @DanielVeuleman

Lance Thomas 2.0 ?
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Russy View Post
    Lance Thomas 2.0 ?
    Lance Thomas works hard on every possession. This guy doesn't LOL

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoewan View Post
    Lance Thomas works hard on every possession. This guy doesn't LOL
    He will once he'll meet Monty. But yeah, he doesn't seem to have a high motor like Lance Thomas. So if I say "Energy guy", do you agree with me? ^^

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar
    Notice much of the video shows actions where he has alot of space to operate...open floor..slip cuts etc...also consider the caliber of the defense..woah! what defense?...looks like camp body..
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

Quote Originally Posted by Russy View Post
    He will once he'll meet Monty. But yeah, he doesn't seem to have a high motor like Lance Thomas. So if I say "Energy guy", do you agree with me? ^^
    No. One of the best coaches in the PH couldn't get him to work hard on every possession. Monty's a different beast, but if what you mean by "energy guy" is someone who gives out energy bars, then sure, he can be an "energy guy" ^^

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoewan View Post
    No. One of the best coaches in the PH couldn't get him to work hard on every possession. Monty's a different beast, but if what you mean by "energy guy" is someone who gives out energy bars, then sure, he can be an "energy guy" ^^

We'll see ! Hope he is another diamond in the rough, but he would probably be a camp body... Good luck Japeth !

http://www.hornets247.com/2012/09/30...nday-20120930/

Seems like he won't be invited to camp, at least initially.

Thread Information