Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Darius Miller

Darius Miller

I think this is a guy that we are overlooking - myself included. I feel like he is just a great fit for this scheme - real good defender, rebounder, and shooter. He can't create for himself, but that's okay because we have Gordon, Rivers, and Vasquez to create shots from him, and all he needs to do is hit open jumpers. Also, he has a very high basketball I.Q. (sorry Eman, I know you hate the term).

Perimeter Shooting - Miller has the makings of a good perimeter shooter. He has good form, a high, quick release and decent range.

Rebounding/Passing - Miller has the ability and athleticism to be a factor on the offensive glass, but his offensive role left him out of position to do so. Miller has good understanding of court spacing, and sees the court very well. His size lets him see over the top from the perimeter and he has the passing touch to hit backdoors and cuts on the weakside. He takes very little risk with his passes and does a good job getting the ball to teammates where they can make a play.

Perimeter Defense - Miller is an above-average perimeter defender. He isn’t very quick, but he positions himself well, has decent lateral movement and sees the whole court. On the ball, he stays active, doesn’t get over-aggressive and knows how to force his man into help defenders

Rebounding - Miller has the body and skill to be a good rebounder, but he did not get much of an opportunity to show it this season. He uses his body well to box out and goes strong after the ball to secure the miss.
    http://www.nbadraftblog.com/2012-art...us-miller.html

A lot of people have been saying that he is a very underrated rebounder - mostly because Davis, MKG, and T. Jones were cleaning up the boards last year, so he didn't even get the opportunity to contribute in that area. At 6'8, 230, I think he can be a significant factor for us on the boards.

A great comparison for him, IMO, is Kawhi Leonard. I've seen it a few times, and I think it just fits. If he can give us what Leonard gives the Spurs, we will be set.

Think Kawhi Leonard with a little bit more athleticism, though Leonard can certainly run with anyone when he wants to. Miller should be able to stretch the floor from three-point land when he is on the court, just like Leonard in San Antonio. Look for Miller to immediately make an impact on the defensive end and in transition.

Scouts see him as the prototypical NBA small forward in today's game, with the ability to knock down threes while playing solid defense on one of the league's hardest positions to defend.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...s-and-anaylsis

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    A more athletic Kawhi Leonard? Funnily enough most scouting reports I saw listed him as having very average athleticism.

...but then I see him do this and I wonder just what the hell were they looking at.

He's not quite as polished or skilled as Leonard. He has potential, just has to prove it.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    A more athletic Kawhi Leonard? Funnily enough most scouting reports I saw listed him as having very average athleticism.

...but then I see him do this and I wonder just what the hell were they looking at.

I don't get it either. He is athletic, but he isn't flashy. People love flashy players. From what I have been reading, Miller has a lot more to offer than what he was able to show, mainly because he played next to four 1st round picks and a high 2nd round pick all season. I'm excited to see what he can bring. I've also seen a lot of Shane Battier comparisons, which would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    He's not quite as polished or skilled as Leonard. He has potential, just has to prove it.
    I'd agree with that, and I think that is the mold of player he will become. Keep in mind, though, that we got him in the mid-2nd round, whereas Leonard was the 15th overall pick. Monty and Demps seemed very shocked that he fell that far, so I'm excited to see his growth come TC.

What I noticed in summer league is that almost all of his three point shots were on point, but short.

I think he's still adjusting to NBA range, but it's not pure accuracy so much as it is adding a touch more strength to his shot.

Once that happens, he should be a very useful player for a 2nd round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughka View Post
    What I noticed in summer league is that almost all of his three point shots were on point, but short.

I think he's still adjusting to NBA range, but it's not pure accuracy so much as it is adding a touch more strength to his shot.

Once that happens, he should be a very useful player for a 2nd round pick.
    True. I noticed that too. But also remember that he was injured during summer league. I can't remember specifically, but Monty said it was effecting him for sure - same deal with Henry.

I like Miller's potential as a starting SF much better than Aminu or Henry.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It's just that he has to properly get used to NBA range, is all. I think once he acclimates, he should develop into a solid player. If he becomes a starter, then that's all you can hope for.

I remember at Kentucky he was a guy hitting loads of big shots and making hustle plays. Between him and Lamb, I'm not sure he hit mroe clutch 3s.

I know Henry hasn't shown to the league that he can shoot. Is Miller a better shooter than Henry?
    I think both have a chance to be our starting 3 for now.
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

I don't want to be a Debby Downer but I think odds are against Miller. I think what we can all hope for is someone who knows how to shoot from 3 well (around 38% maybe?) and who knows the defensive and offensive system well. Kinda like Mo-Pete. Expecting anything but that from him would just be unfair (especially becoming a starter).

That said, i do agree that Miller's player profile fits in so well with our 4 best players (or best players in the future, since Rivers will have his growing pains this year) - around Rivers, Gordon, Davis and Anderson, what we need is a great perimeter defender who can make opponents respect him from 3. Miller has more potential at that than Aminu.

I think odds are against Miller. I think what we can all hope for is someone who knows how to shoot from 3 well (around 38% maybe?) and who knows the defensive and offensive system well. Kinda like Mo-Pete. Expecting anything but that from him would just be unfair (especially becoming a starter).
    but why?

Something I noticed in that video at about 20 seconds on the bottom ticket it says hornets Chris Paul wants trade to Knicks, I don't know just made me chuckle

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheaney View Post
    Something I noticed in that video at about 20 seconds on the bottom ticket it says hornets Chris Paul wants trade to Knicks, I don't know just made me chuckle
    lol I noticed that too

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by nikkoewan View Post
    I don't want to be a Debby Downer but I think odds are against Miller. I think what we can all hope for is someone who knows how to shoot from 3 well (around 38% maybe?) and who knows the defensive and offensive system well. Kinda like Mo-Pete. Expecting anything but that from him would just be unfair (especially becoming a starter).

That said, i do agree that Miller's player profile fits in so well with our 4 best players (or best players in the future, since Rivers will have his growing pains this year) - around Rivers, Gordon, Davis and Anderson, what we need is a great perimeter defender who can make opponents respect him from 3. Miller has more potential at that than Aminu.
    That's all we need from the SF position. Not every position can be an All Star. If we solidify that spot between Miller, Aminu, and Henry, then we can go after a big name FA center next off season like Pekovic.

I agree with Slim.

If Miller can shoot 37-38% from 3s and play solid defense, he will easily start at SF on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    That's all we need from the SF position. Not every position can be an All Star. If we solidify that spot between Miller, Aminu, and Henry, then we can go after a big name FA center next off season like Pekovic.
    It's funny. You mentioned a Leonard comparison, and a Battier comparison, and I think his ceiling is somewhere in the middle of those two. Nevertheless, if Miller (or Aminu, for that matter) can show us some starting potential this season (and I believe he can), then I second going after a big man, like Pekovic, in FA. However, if he cannot, I want to go after Iggy hard. This would mean that Aminu goes, Henry most likely goes, and Davis would become a full time 5.

(I don't think this season is make or break for Rivers, so I will ignore going after a 1 next offseason).

Rivers, Vasquez, Roberts
    Gordon, player
    Iggy, Miller
    Anderson, Smith, Thomas
    Davis, Lopez

What a boss starting five that would be.....

And then we could shore up the bench with our first round pick, such as the backup 2.

HOWEVER, if we really fail hard this offseason (which could happen, but not likely), and land a Top 5 pick, then our offseason acquisitions will depend on whether we opt for a stud SF prospect (plenty of those next year) or a stud big man (like Zeller or Noels). Next few years should be very interesting for the front office......
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 09-22-2012 at 10:21 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post
    but why?
    Because he's a 2nd rounder trying to distinguish himself from what was a very so-so 4 year collegiate career in UK. His saving grace is that he shot 37.9% from 3 PT range for his career in UK and that he's known to be a professional (and everything that comes with it). Lots of players had better careers than Darius, had better skill sets and had similar character profiles but never really broke through. It's just the NBA - a league where opportunity means everything.

I know off season is the time when most people try to overhype their teams. And I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I'm just very cautious with talking about our team's success. That includes Miller's success in the L.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I agree. I think I said it falsely when I said "starter" when what I really meant was someone who produced good/great numbers. I'm not expecting the world from Darius. Nothing like 10 pts, 6 rebs, 2 steals. Nothing like that. All I'm asking is that he makes his 3 PT shots at a consistent basis and that his adjusted +/- are good.

In fact, just one of those (3 PTs or good adjusted +/- are good) would be enough for me. If he breaks out similar to 2nd round gems in the past like Blair or Fields? My golly, I'll do the gangnam style.

Because he's a 2nd rounder trying to distinguish himself from what was a very so-so 4 year collegiate career in UK. His saving grace is that he shot 37.9% from 3 PT range for his career in UK and that he's known to be a professional (and everything that comes with it). Lots of players had better careers than Darius, had better skill sets and had similar character profiles but never really broke through. It's just the NBA - a league where opportunity means everything.

I know off season is the time when most people try to overhype their teams. And I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I'm just very cautious with talking about our team's success. That includes Miller's success in the L.

I agree. I think I said it falsely when I said "starter" when what I really meant was someone who produced good/great numbers. I'm not expecting the world from Darius. Nothing like 10 pts, 6 rebs, 2 steals. Nothing like that. All I'm asking is that he makes his 3 PT shots at a consistent basis and that his adjusted +/- are good.

In fact, just one of those (3 PTs or good adjusted +/- are good) would be enough for me. If he breaks out similar to 2nd round gems in the past like Blair or Fields? My golly, I'll do the gangnam style.
    Great post man. U sir, are a very ripe banana.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Nikkoewan, wouldn't that be something if he was a 10-15pts, 6 reb, 2 stl kind of guy??

Oh OK i gotcha , thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Nikkoewan, wouldn't that be something if he was a 10-15pts, 6 reb, 2 stl kind of guy??
    if Miller becomes a 10-15, 6 rebs and 2 stls kind of a guy, man, he'd be the steal of the non-lotto picks, for sure. We got him locked up at a cheap contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27269859.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	4292

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    lmao I'm using this one
    looking for team to bandwagon, pls help

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I agree with most, all we need miller to do is consistently hit the 3 and play a little defense. I am done with thinking Henry is a part of our future. But I don't think he or Miller is good enough to take away the starting spot from Aminu. Liking forward to addressing the SF position next free agency.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    This could be the Hornets best draft ever.

Thread Information