Pelicans Report

Thread: Paul says he preferred Clippers to Lakers

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar

NBA Paul says he preferred Clippers to Lakers

Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul, who is featured on the covers of October's GQ, told the magazine he actually preferred being traded to the Clippers rather than the Los Angeles Lakers last year.

"They had the better pieces," Paul said. "And winning with the Clippers would be legendary."

Last year NBA commissioner David Stern nixed a trade that would have sent Paul from the then league-owned New Orleans Hornets to the Lakers in a package that would have included Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom. A week later he was traded to the Clippers instead.

Paul also said he was still irritated about being patted on the head by Gasol when the Lakers played the Clippers last season, causing the two to be separated in the waning seconds of the game.

"We call that sonnin'," Paul said. "Like when I take Li'l Chris to the bathroom, I'll walk with my hand on his head. That's my son. You know what I mean? I understand that Gasol is that tall, but don't do to me what I do to my son."

The Clippers' training camp begins Oct. 1. The Clippers will play the Lakers in a preseason game Oct. 24 and their first regular-season game will be Nov. 2.

Haha we call that sonnin'!

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar

But for real, are people still talking about the whole nixed trade thing?
    @DanielVeuleman

It is getting rather old. I honestly see Paul moving this summer. I just dont think he honestly can convince himself he will win a championship with Griffen and Jordan as his starting front court.

Better pieces?

Is CP on crack?

Honestly, I've lost respect for the guy lately.

I used to jizz over him, now, not so much.
    Last edited by Perth_Hornet; 09-19-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post

But for real, are people still talking about the whole nixed trade thing?
    I always appreciate a good Scrubs reference, especially when I'm procrastinating on writing an essay.
    "Davis is gonna be the best Basketball Player Ever. ......Please quote me." -Silverfoxx

Lol what else do you guys expect him to
    Say about his own team mates...

Ohhhhhhh, he only puts his hand on his son's head when he takes him to the bathroom. When he walks him to the school bus he puts his hand on his shoulder, or holds his hand...

You don't follow my Twitter, I lead yours.

https://twitter.com/#!/onpointlikecp3

Aww someone is mad he got babied by a llama
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    "Winning with the Clippers would be legendary."

And winning with New Orleans wouldn't?

Whatever. Time to move on. At least until he becomes a free agent.

Right, lip service. Kobe> Chauncey, Gasol > griffin, Bynum (now Howard)> Jordan ; Unless we're talking about sports center highlights

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Why are we still even making threads on CP3? We have a bright future ahead of us. Let the ghost of CP3 go. Unless he actually signs a contract to come back here.....he should be irrelevant to NOLA. We have Davis, Rivers, EG, Anderson, & Lopez now. Way too much to be excited about to be talking about CP and how he feels about the Clippers. Why should that matter to us?

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    Why are we still even making threads on CP3? We have a bright future ahead of us. Let the ghost of CP3 go. Unless he actually signs a contract to come back here.....he should be irrelevant to NOLA. We have Davis, Rivers, EG, Anderson, & Lopez now. Way too much to be excited about to be talking about CP and how he feels about the Clippers. Why should that matter to us?
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

My thoughts exactly.

Haven't we all learned by now that everything he says is a total load of crap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Right, lip service. Kobe> Chauncey, Gasol > griffin, Bynum (now Howard)> Jordan ; Unless we're talking about sports center highlights
    Pau would not be there after the trade. Or Odom. They would have had no one capable of playing the 4 effectively and no good backups at the 5. I still think the Lakers would be the better team if that trade had gone through, but not by as much as you would think.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Pau would not be there after the trade. Or Odom. They would have had no one capable of playing the 4 effectively and no good backups at the 5. I still think the Lakers would be the better team if that trade had gone through, but not by as much as you would think.

You're right about Pau, but i still think they would be much better than the clippers...

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post

Hm. True. Lets see...

Paul/Blake
    Kobe/Kapono
    MWP/Matt Barnes
    Noone.
    Bynum/Nobody

Vs.

Paul/Mo Williams
    Billups/Foye
    Butler/Gomes
    Griffin/Kenyon Martin
    Jordan/Evans

Looking at the rosters at the time of the trade, I have no idea who would have started at the 4 for Lakers. The Clippers would definitely be the more complete team, but its hard to say they are better than a team with Kobe/Paul/Bynum core. Then, of course, they could've done the same trade with the Magic only needing Bynum, and have a Paul/Dwight core to build with after Kobe's done with. Strange to see the alternate future that could have happened should Stern not have had basketball reasons. Bless that man.

OG Hornets Fan - Est. 1988 TxAggie713's Avatar
    ^THIS

Becuase this is an NBA Discussion forum. If you don't want to read people talking about him, don't click the thread.

Whether he was just giving lip service or not, I think he's telling the truth. The Clippers are probably better off now than the would be Lakers of that trade would have gone through. It would of created more problems for the Lakers than it would of solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Hm. True. Lets see...

Paul/Blake
    Kobe/Kapono
    MWP/Matt Barnes
    Noone.
    Bynum/Nobody

Vs.

Paul/Mo Williams
    Billups/Foye
    Butler/Gomes
    Griffin/Kenyon Martin
    Jordan/Evans

Looking at the rosters at the time of the trade, I have no idea who would have started at the 4 for Lakers. The Clippers would definitely be the more complete team, but its hard to say they are better than a team with Kobe/Paul/Bynum core. Then, of course, they could've done the same trade with the Magic only needing Bynum, and have a Paul/Dwight core to build with after Kobe's done with. Strange to see the alternate future that could have happened should Stern not have had basketball reasons. Bless that man.
    Jason Smith was originally in the deal, and I think he was the reason that the deal fell through (thank God). That would be a scary starting 5. Obviously CP is trying to give his teammates some confidence, but there isn't anything wrong with that IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Jason Smith was originally in the deal, and I think he was the reason that the deal fell through (thank God).
    Possibly. A lot of people believe the league created that rumor to get some of the heat off them for the decision. I don't think that was the determining factor though, to be honest.

Chris has a point... in 2 years Kobe will be retired... Pau would have been closer to retirement... and remember this was before the DH trade, so who knows if Bynum's knees would hold up.

Had CP gone to the Lakers he'd be by himself in 3 years trying to carry that franchise whereas the Clips have a roster full of young talent that can grow with him.

True... RIGHT NOW the Lakers have better pieces but how much longer would they have them?

And why do we care about what CP says again?

Thread Information