.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 37 of 37

Thread: It won't be long now... HOOP TALK

  1. #26
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,731
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Exactly. I think, if Barnes fell to us, we'd take him over Rivers, simply because we need a SF more than a PG. Aminu can still develop into something, but we'll just have to wait and see on that. This will be a big year for him. Same with Henry. He can be a SF for us too. But Rivers at 10 was far and away the BPA with the most upside.
    Makes you wonder if Demps had already targeted Anderson before the draft and viewed Davis as a center long-term. By the 10th pick, mostly PFs and centers were available. Demps probably targeted Lillard, Barnes and Rivers for the 10th spot. Maybe Drummond, but not likely if he wanted Anderson to pair with Davis. Not sure who Demps would have liked assuming Toronto picked Rivers. Maybe Lamb I guess.

    Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

    Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Rivers is coming out as a freshman. Also, he is switching positions from SG to PG. He was drafted as a "project," whereas CP was already NBA-ready. You know that. Come man... Use that noggin.
    Wow, you read a lot into my question that wasn't there. It was just a question. I wasn't around back then and I don't recall seeing Chris play in any games that season, though I'm sure I did. Can I take it from your reaction that he played like a superstar from his first game?

  3. #28
    ^ maybe not his first game, but he improved the team by like 20 wins his first season

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

  4. #29
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    ^ maybe not his first game, but he improved the team by like 20 wins his first season

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Actually he did play like a superstar in his first game

    Anyway, no one is asking Rivers to be Chris Paul. Rivers is surrounded by more weapons long-term. He just has to make open shots, not turn the ball over, play solid defense and score when needed.

  5. #30
    Hollygrove 4 Life DroopyDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Too far from Home
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Exactly. I think, if Barnes fell to us, we'd take him over Rivers, simply because we need a SF more than a PG. Aminu can still develop into something, but we'll just have to wait and see on that. This will be a big year for him. Same with Henry. He can be a SF for us too. But Rivers at 10 was far and away the BPA with the most upside.
    I have high hopes for Aminu but not high expectations (if that makes sense). I think he'd be a solid backup but we need a solid SF... which we have time to get. We'll have money to spend on one after this season, or we could (hope to) draft one. Darius Miller... with some minutes... could be that dude. I actually have more faith that Miller will be THAT dude than Aminu or Henry.

    JMO.

  6. #31
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,731
    I agree Droopy. I have more faith in Miller compared to Aminu or Henry. All he has to do to start for this team long-term is hit open shots and play solid defense which he can do.

  7. #32
    If Miller can drain the 3 and play defense, that is about all we need from the SF position. I would kill for a 3 who is automatic from 3 right now. It would open up the floor so nicely for Gordon and Rivers to create.

    Quote Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
    Wow, you read a lot into my question that wasn't there. It was just a question. I wasn't around back then and I don't recall seeing Chris play in any games that season, though I'm sure I did. Can I take it from your reaction that he played like a superstar from his first game?
    My bad. I misunderstood the nature of your question. Yes. Paul was an obvious star after his first season. Keep in mind, though, that he was also a top-5 pick, and that is to be expected out of a player in that range, whereas a player taken at #10 can be a "project." Rivers has some of the highest upside in this draft. I am completely thrilled we took him at 10. That said, I hope people don't expect too much from him this year...

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    If Miller can drain the 3 and play defense, that is about all we need from the SF position. I would kill for a 3 who is automatic from 3 right now. It would open up the floor so nicely for Gordon and Rivers to create.



    My bad. I misunderstood the nature of your question. Yes. Paul was an obvious star after his first season. Keep in mind, though, that he was also a top-5 pick, and that is to be expected out of a player in that range, whereas a player taken at #10 can be a "project." Rivers has some of the highest upside in this draft. I am completely thrilled we took him at 10. That said, I hope people don't expect too much from him this year...

    Wasn't he the #2 ranked player in high school? There is a chance he could be a star out of the gate right? It's not like it wasn't a deep draft or anything. He was in consideration for getting drafted higher I believe. I think he'll be better than waiters, who was what, drafted fourth?

  9. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
    How long did it take to tell that CP3 was going to be a star?
    How long did it take David West? And he played 4 years in college.

    Chris Paul was one of a kind. We knew he would be a star from day one, but it did take a couple of years to realize he was a superstar. Austin Rivers is not Chris Paul and we shouldn't expect him to be. It's Anthony Davis that we should expect to be the superstar.

    If Austin Rivers turns into a 15/5 player at 45% shooting, then I'll be satisfied.


    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I have high hopes for Aminu but not high expectations (if that makes sense). I think he'd be a solid backup but we need a solid SF... which we have time to get. We'll have money to spend on one after this season, or we could (hope to) draft one. Darius Miller... with some minutes... could be that dude. I actually have more faith that Miller will be THAT dude than Aminu or Henry.

    JMO.
    Personally, I think Aminu fits this team just fine as a starter. He has a nice looking jump shot, so there is certainly a possibility that his shooting/offense improves... but I see him more as a Bruce Bowen type on this team. He's needed for his defense and rebounding more than anything else. Gordon, Rivers, Anderson, and Davis will be most of the offense.
    Last edited by bradael; 09-19-2012 at 11:36 AM.

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
    Wasn't he the #2 ranked player in high school? There is a chance he could be a star out of the gate right? It's not like it wasn't a deep draft or anything. He was in consideration for getting drafted higher I believe. I think he'll be better than waiters, who was what, drafted fourth?
    I totally agree, and it's completely possible that he busts out this year and plays great. My concern is that he is playing a brand new position. He has never played PG before, so I'm expecting growing pains. It wouldn't surprise me, though, if he made the "rookie team," but I'm just not expecting it. He has the talent though...

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    If Miller can drain the 3 and play defense, that is about all we need from the SF position. I would kill for a 3 who is automatic from 3 right now. It would open up the floor so nicely for Gordon and Rivers to create.
    I would absolutely kill to get Peja circa 2007/08 right about now. Him and RyNo on the wings is just UNFAIR. Sadly, nobody in the NBA compares to Peja's volume 3 - PT shooting except... RyNO!!!! LOL

  12. #37
    All World Pelicans78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles, LA
    Posts
    15,731
    We don't need Miller to be like Peja from beyond the arc. Someone who can shoot 37% and defend well. Someone who can complement.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •