Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: N/H Seattle Approves Arena Deal

Yeah, I would guess Kings fans have to be sweating.

Ridiculous statement. They are as someone mentioned the 5th biggest city in North America, provide a huge tv audience considering all of Canada and Buffalo get their games, one of the most multi-cultural cities in the entire world thus providing large global recognition for the NBA and not to mention the fact that Toronto is one most beautiful and exciting cities in the world IMO, and the best place to go to party in the North America outside of Vegas, Miami and NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    Can we get the Raptors out of Toronto. Probably the most irrelevant team in the league.
    Raptors actually have some decent prospects and are starting to look like a respectable team now. Irrelevant maybe, but then again, some people would say the same about the Hornets...
    Last edited by LJ_Grandmama; 09-12-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    "We may raise some eyebrows, but we're not in this to get excited or raise eyebrows." - Monty Williams

If the Bucks are the ones moving, would that be us or Memphis ending up in the eastern conference?

Here is the problem with the Kings. The Maloofs do not want to sell. I would gather that the arena deal in Seattle includes the private investor being the owner of said relocated team.

That never ever works. If an owner is going to sell, they sell before they move. See Bennett, Clay. Bennett bought the Sonics and then moved them, not the other way around. In contrast, look at Memphis. Michael Heisley said he would move and then sell. He moved. Last I checked, he still owns the Grizz.

One of the reasons that the Kings are still in limbo is that the Maloofs do not want to sell, and there is really nowhere for them to go where they maintain ownership. It would not surprise me to learn that they tried to get the league to approve a move to Vegas but were vetoed by the Notorious DJS. Without a place to go they have no choice but to fight it out with the city of Sacramento, who apparently is also doing everything they possibly can to lose their team. It is a disgraceful situation. At least when Shinn was imploding, city and state officials still acted like they wanted to keep the team, which probably helped the Notorious DJS decide to buy the Hornets and hold out for a local owner.

If the Bucks are indeed for sale, then they would be a candidate. Herb Kohl has plenty of money but he is getting old, and maybe his family has no interest in owning the Bucks after he is retired/deceased (Thank you, Rita Benson LeBlanc BTW). So, if they are for sale, and the lease with the Kohl Center is get-outable, then they would be a candidate. But the Kings I do not think are a candidate. If they could move in a manner of their choosing, they would have.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cki3915 View Post
    Here is the problem with the Kings. The Maloofs do not want to sell. I would gather that the arena deal in Seattle includes the private investor being the owner of said relocated team.

That never ever works. If an owner is going to sell, they sell before they move. See Bennett, Clay. Bennett bought the Sonics and then moved them, not the other way around. In contrast, look at Memphis. Michael Heisley said he would move and then sell. He moved. Last I checked, he still owns the Grizz.

One of the reasons that the Kings are still in limbo is that the Maloofs do not want to sell, and there is really nowhere for them to go where they maintain ownership. It would not surprise me to learn that they tried to get the league to approve a move to Vegas but were vetoed by the Notorious DJS. Without a place to go they have no choice but to fight it out with the city of Sacramento, who apparently is also doing everything they possibly can to lose their team. It is a disgraceful situation. At least when Shinn was imploding, city and state officials still acted like they wanted to keep the team, which probably helped the Notorious DJS decide to buy the Hornets and hold out for a local owner.

If the Bucks are indeed for sale, then they would be a candidate. Herb Kohl has plenty of money but he is getting old, and maybe his family has no interest in owning the Bucks after he is retired/deceased (Thank you, Rita Benson LeBlanc BTW). So, if they are for sale, and the lease with the Kohl Center is get-outable, then they would be a candidate. But the Kings I do not think are a candidate. If they could move in a manner of their choosing, they would have.
    You are correct. From everything I've read on Kings forums about this is that the Maloofs prefer Vegas and have been trying to move there for sometime. However the league just isn't buying into a team in Vegas due to all the stuff that we don't care about but the league does. So they are doing their homework on Anaheim (sp?) Virginia Beach, etc. Just looking. While Seattle is in the race, the Maloofs just don't want to sell, therefore nothing is written in stone as to whether that's where they'll end up.

However, if I made a guess, I would guess that Seattle makes an offer worth way more than the Kings are worth that the Maloof's would have to be crazy to refuse. It'll be interesting as heck to see what all actually ends up happening.
    @DanielVeuleman

Just a small correction about Sacramento: the populace and the government have been doing everything they can to keep the Kings there. The Maloofs want too much.

The city had drafted and approved a plan for a new arena for the Kings. The Maloofs would have only had to pay a pittance for it. However, the Maloofs would not get a share of the profit the building makes on non-Kings events, so they nixed it and changed their tune about Arco not being good enough.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Just a small correction about Sacramento: the populace and the government have been doing everything they can to keep the Kings there. The Maloofs want too much.

The city had drafted and approved a plan for a new arena for the Kings. The Maloofs would have only had to pay a pittance for it. However, the Maloofs would not get a share of the profit the building makes on non-Kings events, so they nixed it and changed their tune about Arco not being good enough.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    I hear what you are saying, and you have a point...but that is a load of coulda woulda shoulda.

I do not believe for a minute that the NBA's objections to Vegas are new. Vegas has always been objectionable as a franchise location, and I'm sure the Maloofs were told early and often that Vegas was a no go.

They (the Maloofs) and the City of Sacramento have been going at it for years and nothing is getting done. In this situation, its everyone's fault.

If Vegas got an NBA team, in the age of the player-driven league, the Las Vegas Kings would be an instant top free agent destination. Not that I like seeing pro teams relocate, but couldn't they just pull the trigger and deal with the fallout later, kinda like the Baltimore Colts in the NFL did?
    asdfghjkl;'

Thread Information