Pelicans Report

Thread: Power Rankings

Power Rankings

BR has New Orleans rated 21 in the league going into training camp. They are also saying the Wizards are better, so take this with a grain of salt.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...g-camp/page/14

Lookout Hugo, we have a new mascot in town.

I dont get it, when someone writes something bad about the hornets you take it with a grain of salt, but when something good about the hornets comes from there its a good rea, da hell?

The Wizards might be better this year.

Wall-Beal-Ariza-Nene is a solid core. Okafor will be a sufficient enough player at the 4 for them to sneak into the playoffs. I think anywhere from a 6-8 seed is achievable for them. While we have the brighter future, they are more built to win now.

Plus they are playing in the East. That is a huge advantage for them.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 09-03-2012 at 02:03 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Wizards will have a better W-L record than us this year.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QPon20 View Post
    We'll see about that.

Take it with a grain of salt because we are better! Whatever yall say, there is a major difference in playing in the west and east. And power rankings shouldn't be about just w-l records.

Billy bob, first off I didnt even post that other one, and also, these are completely different articles. One is a power ranking and the other is an analysis

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFan1 View Post
    Take it with a grain of salt because we are better! Whatever yall say, there is a major difference in playing in the west and east. And power rankings shouldn't be about just w-l records.

Billy bob, first off I didnt even post that other one, and also, these are completely different articles. One is a power ranking and the other is an analysis
    Take it for a grain of salt because it's from FREAKIN BLEACHER REPORT. That site is just as credible as anyone on twitter. 90% or their "articles" are just stupid slideshows. This slideshow (article that isn't even an article) says RYAN BROYLES is the greatest college wr of all time. Please, everyone on HR please stop linking Bleacher Report.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...otball-history

Every once in a while they do something good

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFan1 View Post

A team with a 40-27 record is going to be ranked ahead of a team 27-40 every time dude. As it should be. If you want a more telling kind of power ranking, check out Hollinger's power rankings. They are a bit more unorthodox in the way in which teams are ranked.

Quote Originally Posted by QPon20 View Post
    U must be a bobcats fan then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think we should be so blinded by homerism to not see that a team of Nene-Okafor-Ariza-Beal-Wall has a shot at making the playoffs, especially in the East. Keep in mind that Okafor and Ariza are professionals, and the knuckleheads have mostly left the organization. I don't think they're a good team by any stretch, but they are definitely improved.

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    A team with a 40-27 record is going to be ranked ahead of a team 27-40 every time dude. As it should be. If you want a more telling kind of power ranking, check out Hollinger's power rankings. They are a bit more unorthodox in the way in which teams are ranked.
    We have 5 and a half (EG) people from our roster last year! we have completely upgraded. Y'all are telling me that when the Hornets play the wizards this year, the Wizards will win?

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    I don't think we should be so blinded by homerism to not see that a team of Nene-Okafor-Ariza-Beal-Wall has a shot at making the playoffs, especially in the East. Keep in mind that Okafor and Ariza are professionals, and the knuckleheads have mostly left the organization. I don't think they're a good team by any stretch, but they are definitely improved.
    Yea they have a shot at the Playoffs, and I dont think we do. But you cant use this to compare the two. The Conferences are way to different.

Beal is a little over-hyped but so is Rivers, so take those two out. I would choose gordon over wall, Anderson over nene Davis over Okafor but Ariza over Aminu if no contracts are involved. The Hornets will beat the Wizards.

Beal and Rivers are overhyped, so you can suddenly just take it out? That's funny.

Ok, I'll make this very simple. I'll grade a players' ability to contribute to the team on a scale from +10 to -10 (negatives meaning he's contributing badly to the offense/defense).

Beal is probably a + 3 on O and a + 1 on D. Rivers (in his rookie season) will probably be a -2 on O and a -1 on D.
    Talent wise, Gordon is better right now. But you never know, Wall is entering his 3rd season (right around the time rookies start showing more of their stuff). And Wall CAN do it. His February numbers last year read 19.2 PTS on 14 FGA (48%), 7 FTAs (81.6%) 8.6 TOs (4.1 TOs) 5 REBs, and 1.4 STLs. Those were with knucklehead teammates and w/o a training camp. I think he'll breakout this season (just like Rose did 2 seasons ago) by virtue of a better team around him. I've always thought Wall was a franchise cornerstone waiting to happen.

Gordon is a +7 on O, a + 4 on D. Wall RIGHT NOW is a +2 on O, a -1 on D but he can go all the way to +5 on O and a +2 on D if he does the breakout season I expect from him.

Nene and Anderson production wise (offensively and defensively) are a wash to me. Nene maybe is a +6 on O and a +2 on D. Anderson is a +8 on O and a 0 on D (meaning he neither contributes positively or negatively on D).

Davis and Okafor are probably a wash. With both getting a a + 3 on O and a +6 on D. Never understate the value of a bigman who knows his way around the league. It's also quite possible that Davis would get lower than +3 on O and + 6 on D (on his first year) because he'll experience some growing pains and what not.

Ariza is a -3 to an O and +1 to the D, Aminu is probably a -4 on O and a 0 on D. Of course, there is a chance that Aminu improves (maybe the Olympics helped him).

so if we add all that up, Hornets get anywhere between + 12 on O and a +9 on D (even with a possible Davis meltdown and an Aminu improvement). Wizards get +11 on O and +10 on D and can get as high as +14 on O and +13 on D (depending on Wall's growth).

For the other players, it's basically a wash. Each has 2 significant contributors off the bench (Vasquez and Smith for us, Booker and Seraphin for them) with a bunch of just average, horrible or unproven players.

Of course, on the sideline, I think Monty is a way better coach than Whitman. But I've already taken that into consideration in the "numbers" I gave to the players (i.e. Davis scored a +6 because he'll work in Monty's system, Anderson gets a 0 on D, Gordon gets "only" a +6 on O).

So the Wizards worst case scenario is equal to the Hornets best case scenario. It all hinges on how Wall carries himself over. Let's not kid ourselves on Austin Rivers. He'll probably struggle mightily in his 1st season. A sub-40% FG shooting is to be expected and an A/T ratio of less than is also very possible.

Add to the fact that the Wizards can get into the playoffs and it's pretty clear why they are higher on the power rankings than us.

Lots of commenters with great comments especially these ones "take it with a great of salt because its BR" and "Wizards will have a better W-L record than us".

I just don't agree, but we will see when the Wizards come visit the big easy.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Wizards arn't built to contend like us, but Wizards > Hornets this year, probably by a decent bit. As a matter of fact, I would bet Toronto and Golden State, a couple of other lottery dwellers, to be a more solid squad than us next year. But again, they don't have the ceiling we do.
    Last edited by Mr. West; 09-04-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Wizards arn't built to contend like us, but Wizards > Hornets this year, probably by a decent bit. As a matter of fact, I would Toronto and Golden State, a couple of other lottery dwellers, to be a more solid squad than us next year. But again, they don't have the ceiling we do.
    I agree with every part of this post, from the points you make, to your Jersey Database choices, to your Calvin and Hobbes avatar. Good job!

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    I agree with every part of this post, from the points you make, to your Jersey Database choices, to your Calvin and Hobbes avatar. Good job!
    Thanks man, its great to know that there's more than one of us (us being Calvin and Hobbes fans who will always think of DWest whenever anyone says "And one!").

Thread Information