Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Managing Expectations for Anthony Davis

Quote Originally Posted by MeSoHornets504 View Post
    Well, obviously I'd be happy with Davis if any of the comparisons of him come to fruition. Be it Robinson, Garnett, Hakeem, or Russel.

Bring on the season, so I can stop being anxious and sounding like a fool trying to talk about the Hornets to everyone all the time.

LOL same here man. Im the exact way. The first game (oct 30) ima loose it!!!
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Whos gonna be watching preseason games intensely?

Lookout Hugo, we have a new mascot in town.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFan1 View Post
    Whos gonna be watching preseason games intensely?
    I'm gonna watch the team scrimmage intensely if it's open to the public like it was last year and the year before. Couldn't make last year's one. But I fully intend to be there for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Honestly this was a great read, but the 14/7/1.5 seems a little low to me.
    Here's the list of players who accomplished those same numbers or better last season.
    Andrew Bynum 18.72/11.82/1.93
    Tim Duncan 15.43/8.97/1.52
    Marc Gasol 14.65/8.91/1.86
    Dwight Howard 20.61/14.54/2.15
    Al Jefferson 19.18/9.59/1.66
    Josh Smith 18.77/9.58/1.74
    You're saying that is too low for him? Do you think he is going to put up better stats than those six players his rookie season? Seems doubtful.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Here's the list of players who accomplished those same numbers or better last season.
    You're saying that is too low for him? Do you think he is going to put up better stats than those six players his rookie season? Seems doubtful.
    That's a good point. For AD, though, I believe CP34MVP could be right, at least for blocks and rebounds. I honestly believe AD will get more than a block and a half a game. He has shown that he can be one of the better shot blockers in the league IMMEDIATELY. Points might be spot on, maybe even a little lower. Rebounds, I can't really tell right now. He might not be strong enough to box people out well coming into this season, but it will undoubtedly happen, whether it is sooner or later. But you never know, he might just have that knack for being in the right place at the right time.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

That's a good point. For AD, though, I believe CP34MVP could be right, at least for blocks and rebounds. I honestly believe AD will get more than a block and a half a game. He has shown that he can be one of the better shot blockers in the league IMMEDIATELY. Points might be spot on, maybe even a little lower. Rebounds, I can't really tell right now. He might not be strong enough to box people out well coming into this season, but it will undoubtedly happen, whether it is sooner or later. But you never know, he might just have that knack for being in the right place at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Can Davis be the next Lebron James? Serious question. Based on his rawness and athletic ability, does even a shot to be that good one day ?
    No....

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    No....

It will be fun to watch AD23 Exhibit A (Transformations) to the Best Player Ever!!!!

Only reason people don't think he can is because the impression that the big mean NBA players will throw him around like a rag doll and that he's so raw on offense he won't score outside of alley oops and putbacks.

And they're probably right to an extent. Still think he'll average more than 1.5 blocks a game. Tim Duncan can do that now and he's not half as athletic as Davis is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Only reason people don't think he can is because the impression that the big mean NBA players will throw him around like a rag doll and that he's so raw on offense he won't score outside of alley oops and putbacks.

And they're probably right to an extent. Still think he'll average more than 1.5 blocks a game. Tim Duncan can do that now and he's not half as athletic as Davis is right now.
    I would add spot up shooting to Davis' repertoire in addition to alley oops and putbacks.

We know he was a great shot blocker in college, but I think he'll need some time to adjust to the overall huge leap in physical talent he'll be facing at the next level before becoming a premier shot blocker if ever. When you're in a league what guy like Derrick Favors coming off the bench it's a whole other world of talent than being at Kentucky.

Just think Howard is the greatest specimen 6'10 or above in the league right now by far and he only averaging 2.15 BPG's.

I'd agree with you if he were just blocking shots at the rim in college. But he was blocking jumpshots and 3pters. Blocking shots is about timing as much as it is about length and athleticism.

Thread Information