Managing Expectations for Anthony Davis
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-anthony-davis

Scouting Report Analysis
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...medium=twitter
    "The greatest threat to the domination is the equality."

Good reads
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Overt View Post
    Two nice articles of Bleacher Report:

Managing Expectations for Anthony Davis
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-anthony-davis

Scouting Report Analysis
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...medium=twitter
    Very impressed with the scouting report analysis. Sound work from BR. Never thought I'd see that.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

...That experience, along with the rampant losing he's bound to encounter in New Orleans, could weigh on his confidence and make the task of realizing his full potential that much more difficult.
    Was the use of the phrase "rampant losing" necessary?
    "We may raise some eyebrows, but we're not in this to get excited or raise eyebrows." - Monty Williams

People keep saying Kevin Garnett, but I see more of David Robinson. Garnett was always a good defender, an intelligent defender, but he has never been a game changer that alters 10-12 shots a game at the rim.He's averaged 1.5 blocks per game over his career, while I think Davis averages nearly twice that over his.

Robinson, like Davis, was a high school guard and did the majority of his damage offensively utilizing his athleticism and face-up game. The more and more I pour over the tape of D-Rob, the more I see what Anthony Davis will become. Robinson didn't come into the league until he was a 24 year old man, so Davis won't have the immediate impact Robinson did, but I expect their primes to be very similar.
    @mcnamara247

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Think it's interesting how people continue to assume the dude doesn't have enough offensive game to be effective, "nothing more than Marcus Camby" as one person put it. No matter.

Don't get why expectations need to be managed anyway. Think he'll be the greatest of all time, the only bad thing that'll happen is you're wrong and disappointed. For Davis himself? So long as he works his gluts off to make it happen, not a problem there either.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    People keep saying Kevin Garnett, but I see more of David Robinson. Garnett was always a good defender, an intelligent defender, but he has never been a game changer that alters 10-12 shots a game at the rim.He's averaged 1.5 blocks per game over his career, while I think Davis averages nearly twice that over his.

Robinson, like Davis, was a high school guard and did the majority of his damage offensively utilizing his athleticism and face-up game. The more and more I pour over the tape of D-Rob, the more I see what Anthony Davis will become. Robinson didn't come into the league until he was a 24 year old man, so Davis won't have the immediate impact Robinson did, but I expect their primes to be very similar.
    Robinson didn't play highschool ball as aguard. While he shot up by his senior year like Davis, he was added on the team after his spurt and played well after it, I don't think he ever was a guard.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Garnett was one of the best defenders the league has ever seen. He could guard both forward positions and center. Just extremely versatile and capable. He was an absolute game changer on defense while also being fantastic on offense. Even at this age, he is the defensive anchor for the Celtics. If he gets injured or declines more, expect the Celtics to start dropping down in defensive rankings.

Robinson is an even better defender, but not quite as good of an offensive threat. If Davis turns out like either one of these guys, he will be the best player this franchise has ever had.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Honestly this was a great read, but the 14/7/1.5 seems a little low to me.

I expect Davis to be more like Robinson compared to Garnett.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Garnett was one of the best defenders the league has ever seen. He could guard both forward positions and center. Just extremely versatile and capable. He was an absolute game changer on defense while also being fantastic on offense. Even at this age, he is the defensive anchor for the Celtics. If he gets injured or declines more, expect the Celtics to start dropping down in defensive rankings.

Robinson is an even better defender, but not quite as good of an offensive threat. If Davis turns out like either one of these guys, he will be the best player this franchise has ever had.
    Robinson not as good as an offensive threat as Garnett???

Sorry, I have to say something about that. Maybe you are remembering post Duncan David Robinson, but "in his prime" David Robinson was a top 3 scorer in the league multiple times- averaging nearly 27 PPG in his first 7 seasons in the league. Meanwhile, KG's career high was 24.2 PPG, a number D-Rob eclipsed 5 times, including the season he led the NBA in scoring at 29.8 PPG.

In his prime David Robinson was superior in every aspect of the game, with the exception of passing from the low post, and I see Davis as more Robinson than KG. Not a slight to KG at all- top 25 player of all-time- but I fully expect AD to be one of those once in a generation guys when it is all said and done that people talk about as a top-10 All-Timer. And if you check the 'In the NO' podcast, I have been saying that since December of 2011, so this is not homer speak

I think Robinson was a much better offensive player than Garnett.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I think Robinson was a much better offensive player than Garnett.
    I am willing to concede that point. I mainly just wanted to point out that Garnett is indeed a game changer on defense.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    I didn't know David Robinson scored 71 in a game. And yeah AD will be amazing it's a reason why I screamed like idk what when we got him. I mean....how many times have you heard someone compare any player to KG and Robinson? That's good enough for me lol I don't even care to argue I just want to see him in a hornets jersey now.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    Honestly this was a great read, but the 14/7/1.5 seems a little low to me.
    It's better to be underwhelmed now then overwhelmed in the season than to be overwhelmed now only to be underwhelmed in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    I didn't know David Robinson scored 71 in a game. And yeah AD will be amazing it's a reason why I screamed like idk what when we got him. I mean....how many times have you heard someone compare any player to KG and Robinson? That's good enough for me lol I don't even care to argue I just want to see him in a hornets jersey now.
    It was a "scripted" 71. He did it to win the scoring championship that year over shaq (I think) who was like or 3 full points ahead of him. Spurs fed him the ball and he kept scoring it.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    It was a "scripted" 71. He did it to win the scoring championship that year over shaq (I think) who was like or 3 full points ahead of him. Spurs fed him the ball and he kept scoring it.
    lol now it makes sense. I thought that was weird because I never heard of him scoring that much.

Robinson was a big time scorer.

Both Robinson and Garnett were great offensive players in their prime. A few points per game doesn't change that. They had a fantastic run in Minnesota.

Davis is so raw on that end I wouldn't predict him being like either. If he develops a top notch offensive game, it'll be his very own.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Both Robinson and Garnett were great offensive players in their prime. A few points per game doesn't change that. They had a fantastic run in Minnesota.

Davis is so raw on that end I wouldn't predict him being like either. If he develops a top notch offensive game, it'll be his very own.
    Strongly agree with this. Robinson was more a power guy and Garnett is as about as offensively skilled as a scoring big can get. I think if Davis becomes a big time scoring threat it will be more based on his quickness/athleticism than force or skill.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Strongly agree with this. Robinson was more a power guy and Garnett is as about as offensively skilled as a scoring big can get. I think if Davis becomes a big time scoring threat it will be more based on his quickness/athleticism than force or skill.
    Can Davis be the next Lebron James? Serious question. Based on his rawness and athletic ability, does even a shot to be that good one day ?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Can Davis be the next Lebron James? Serious question. Based on his rawness and athletic ability, does even a shot to be that good one day ?
    Not the same physical monster that Lebron is IMO. LeBron has the highest ceiling ever in the NBA based purely on his body. will be be the best? who knows, i doubt it.

Well, obviously I'd be happy with Davis if any of the comparisons of him come to fruition. Be it Robinson, Garnett, Hakeem, or Russel.

Bring on the season, so I can stop being anxious and sounding like a fool trying to talk about the Hornets to everyone all the time.

I think Anthony Davis will be like Anthony Davis five years from now. Maybe even 10 years from now, if he reaches his ceiling.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    When you have players as raw, tall, long, and athletic as Davis it's hard to say with their full potential is. However I don't think he'll be anywhere close to LeBron. James is all three things power, skill, and athleticism. It's hard to imagine Davis being a transcendent player relying heavily on athletic ability.

Thread Information