Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sources: Kings moving to Virgina a possibility

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Rumor Sources: Kings moving to Virgina a possibility

http://insidebiz.com/news/sources-sa...ena-deal-works

The owners of the Sacramento Kings, an NBA franchise, and officials from Philadelphia-based Comcast-Spectacor are expected to be in Virginia Beach Tuesday to propose moving the team to the resort city and for Comcast to help build and lease a new pro sports arena.

A deal between the Maloof family, which owns the Sacramento Kings, and the city of Sacramento for a $391 million entertainment complex fell apart three months ago and it has been reported that the owners are looking for a city for their franchise.

Media giant Comcast will guarantee a 25-year lease on a new arena, supposedly for naming rights and for broadcasting the games, sources said. Comcast owns NBC and Global Spectrum, which operates arenas and stadiums across the country including the Ted Constant Convocation Center at Old Dominion University.

City officials and the Maloof family are expected to announce Wednesday that the Kings will land in Virginia Beach, sources said.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 08-23-2012 at 02:42 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm so glad we're beyond this kinda stuff now.

If that happened, I don't think we would be the smallest market anymore.

Ya really, Virginia(?!?!?!)
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

Nose Bleed Section 4 Life! CheapSeats's Avatar
    If they move, its nice to see a "small market" team move another "small market".

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    If that happened, I don't think we would be the smallest market anymore.
    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Looked it up, saw Virginia Beach is in 43rd-ranked TV market. OKC is 44th. But still can't imagine it has biz community to support this.
    bigger than OKC

And this is coming from a Hampton Roads, Va website citing city officials and the Maloofs are expected to announce that the Kings will land in VA Beach. Don't the BOG have to approve such?

Would the Kings steal Bobcats fans (yes, they do have fans)? They would be awfully close to each other.

I have a few cousins in VA Beach, I wanna hear what they think about this.

Virginia? Really?

Gotta love the Maloofs. The complex deal fell apart because the city was offering to fund the building of the complex, but the Maloofs wanted exclusive rights to run it and get a cut of any event taking place in the complex.

Even Shinn was a better owner than those goofs.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

If this does happen it means a shift in conferences. Does this mean adding two teams to get the 32 team design like the NFL? Seattle and Kansas city?

Would they have to move a team like Milwaukee, Chicago, or Indiana to the west?

I just got back from Virginia Beach the other week and I really didn't think much about it. I highly doubt they would support an NBA team

More then likely they would gerrymander Atlanta with its lack of serious rivalry to the west and keep the strong Bulls-Bucks-Pacers intact.

I graduated HS from Va Beach. If this goes through, they should do fine. Hampton Roads has a population between 1.5-2 million. (OKC pop is like 500k). They have a AAA baseball team and a minor league (AAA equivalent) hockey team that just won the chamionship. Both teams have great fan support.

The only thing that would worry me is the proposed stadium location, which would be literally where the interstate ends (going one way). Not really ideal.

this sounds like wishful thinking for Virginia Beach, there is a better shot at them moving back to Kansas City when they already have a NBA ready stadium in the Sprint Center

Kings deny Virginia report

Owners of the Sacramento Kings denied a report that the team is in talks to move to Virginia Beach, Va.

The Hampton Roads Business Journal in Norfolk, Va., cited unnamed sources as saying that Kings ownership and officials from Comcast and concert promoter Live Nation are supposed to descend on Virginia Beach Tuesday to discuss a new stadium and relocation of the NBA franchise.

"We haven't talked to Virginia Beach," Joe Maloof told CBS13 in Sacramento.

Kings owners Joe, Gavin and George Maloof pulled out of a plan to help finance an arena in Sacramento earlier this year, saying it didn't make financial sense for the franchise.

The team has been tied to discussion in Anaheim, Calif., as well as other cities.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/82...-move-virginia

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    hmmm, I will adjust my title to say rumor. Any reason the owners would deny this just until the deal is done?

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Virginia Beach may be small but there's a lot of money flowing through it. Moreover, their television market would be larger than the confines of the city limits much like the Hornets will market to the entire Gulf South.

Quote Originally Posted by CheapSeats View Post
    If this does happen it means a shift in conferences. Does this mean adding two teams to get the 32 team design like the NFL? Seattle and Kansas city?
    I don't really see this happening as you don't have the same divisional playoff system in the NBA. It's just top eight teams in each conference so an even balance across divisions is sort of meaningless.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 08-23-2012 at 03:02 PM.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

Funny thing is that Shinn was very interested in moving the Hornets to Norfolk, VA (not far from Va Beach) if things did not work out in NOLA after Katrina.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    I personally would like the team to stay in Sacramento, I'll try I help them if I can.
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

I'm definitely sympathetic to fans in Sacramento. Those are some good fans, and they didn't do anything wrong, and they might lose their team because of this. Just really unfortunate.

Virginia Squires?? Maybe, who knows.

Kansas City couldn't support a NBA team with already the Royals and Chiefs and a strong MLS franchise. Too much competition. Virginia Beach would offer no competition whatsoever to the Kings. I could see a team getting better support there compared to KC.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    I'm definitely sympathetic to fans in Sacramento. Those are some good fans, and they didn't do anything wrong, and they might lose their team because of this. Just really unfortunate.
    This. Sacramento doesn't deserve what the Maloof's are putting them through.
    @DanielVeuleman

I don't think Virginia Beach would even get approved if this was even a possibility. NBA would probably rather have a team in K.C. or Seattle

Thread Information