Pelicans Report

Thread: Trading Vasquez at the end of the season.

Trading Vasquez at the end of the season.

The debate about who should start in the point guard position this year for the Hornets has been repeatedly posted in several threads recently, but there is an aspect of the situation that has not been discussed at all. What are the consequences for potential trades next year of starting Vasquez or Rivers? The way I see the future plan of the team is developing Rivers so he becomes the long term starting point guard of the team. But I don’t think Vasquez will be the long term second guard as that may be relatively expensive for the team. So what about this scenario: Vasquez starts this year for pretty much all season and posts something like 13 PPG, 8 APG and 2TOPG (this is slightly optimistic but possible) while Rivers plays about 22 MPG mainly as back up PG and some time as second guard and develops nicely so he is ready to be a starting point guard the following season. If this scenario comes through, then we will be in a really sweet spot for next off season as we would have the starting PG position covered by a developed Rivers and we would have a 26 years old Vasquez that with the numbers I mentioned as a full year starting PG would be very attractive for different teams so we can trade him for whatever we need at the time.
    What do you guys think?

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Maybe if somebody offered a darn solid starting SF on a good contract, but overall I think Gravy has a spot on this team for the future.
    @DanielVeuleman

I dont think we will trade him because he is very cheap...

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I agree with mr west and hf97, Vasquez is a cheap pg who has played well for us. Also Rivers' development is a big factor.

Yea Vasquez isnt going to be getting any pay raises. Whats he making this year? Around 3 mill?

if his value is high absolutely trade him. good player, but not the long term answer at PG

He is a great backup though. You wont get a starter for him so if its not a lottery first round i wouldn't do it.

Whats he making this year? Around 3 mill?[/QUOTE]
    I actually don't know, he came in with a year left of a two years deal at minimum salary with Memphis, I don't know how much we are giving him for this season. Does anyone knows?

2012-13: $1,191,240.
    2013-14: $2,150,188.
    2014-15: $3,203,780 [Team Option].
    2015-16: RFA

Looks like we have for 3 years and then some! Hopefully he will always be a Hornet.

Aminu:
    2012-13: $2,947,800.
    2013-14: $3,749,602. {Team Option}
    2014-15: RFA

Henry:
    $2,323,200.
    2013-14: $3,201,369.
    2014-15: $4,405,083.
    2015-16: RFA

Smith:
    2012-13: $2,500,000.
    2013-14: $3,500,000.
    2014-15: UFA

No one else is updated haha. Such a new team!

I just don't see the point in trading a young PG on a rookie salary if he is averaging a near double-double. We traded for him, so we obviously like him, and we developed him. Demps and Monty love him. It would have to be a damn good offer for us to trade him, IMO.

I think we (as we should be in my opinion) are very high on Gravy. I think he is under-rated by many on this board. Granted he is OVER-RATED by many as well....
    Say Rivers becomes the starting PG, you can do A LOT worse then Gravy as a backup... Antonio Daniels comes to mind........
    Rivers is very raw. I personally don't foresee him starting this season. I could be wrong but i think he'll be a project for at least a year or two.
    I love him but in all honesty he is a project. He has never played the position before so its a pretty steep learning curve.

The more important question is how is Vasques going to put up 13 and 8 in 26 minutes with Rivers playing 22 minutes at backup point like you said. Longterm I think Vasques is the perfect energy backup pg who can run a team. He's not the type of player that's going to have a lot of trade value. I'd hang on to him.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    The more important question is how is Vasques going to put up 13 and 8 in 26 minutes with Rivers playing 22 minutes at backup point like you said. .
    I did mentioned that Rivers would also have some minutes in second guard, so I am imagining something like 18 min in PG and 6 in SG with Vasquez Getting about 30 MPG

Vasquez is still developing his game also, but he is further along than Rivers and is a very solid pg, who knows Monty system and fits in well with this team, also he is inexpensive and can play sg and pg when needed. I say he brings alot to the table and should not be traded.

Vasques played 26 minutes last season and put up 9 points and 5.5 assists
    even with improvement you're looking at about 11 points 7 assists max in 30 min
    http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4291/greivis-vasquez

Don't see any point in trading him, he's a good pass first Point whose jumper looks to have improved. Just check the Venezuela Mexico game. Next to Eric Gordon he will be a good matchup. IF and I mean IF!!!! Rivers pans out as a decent player who can play both 1/2 he would be a perfect Jason Terry/ Manu type guy off the bench. Comes in and offers scoring from either position, which in the NBA, not alot of 2nd unit players can do. If Gravy goes for 13/8 this year and we can extend him for a reasonable price I'd be all for it. The guy leaves everything on the court and plays with more heart than possibly anyone in the NBA, you can't teach that.

The amount of times I saw D-leaguers and end of benchers fumble his passes infront of an open hoop, or miss layups on a would-be assist. With some quality guys like Anderson, Davis and Gordon around making those catches and shots, his assists will definetly go up even if he doesnt improve himself.

These are misleading stats. These where his numbers for all season. As a starter he played 26 games score 12 points t assists in 32 minutes. Going form there to 13 and 8 in 30 min with such a better group of people around him seams very logical to me

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by carpo_07 View Post
    Don't see any point in trading him, he's a good pass first Point whose jumper looks to have improved. Just check the Venezuela Mexico game. Next to Eric Gordon he will be a good matchup. IF and I mean IF!!!! Rivers pans out as a decent player who can play both 1/2 he would be a perfect Jason Terry/ Manu type guy off the bench. Comes in and offers scoring from either position, which in the NBA, not alot of 2nd unit players can do. If Gravy goes for 13/8 this year and we can extend him for a reasonable price I'd be all for it. The guy leaves everything on the court and plays with more heart than possibly anyone in the NBA, you can't teach that.
    I don't understand why everybody is so desperate to get rid of the guy. Vasques is a true point guard. Rivers is a combo guard like Terry, Mayo or Pargo. He has never really played point guard before so that won't be an easy transition to make. Being a combo guard is not a bad thing. I think it suits him perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by DC-Hornet View Post
    I don't understand why everybody is so desperate to get rid of the guy.
    I just wanted to clarify that even when I started the thread, I am in no way in favor of trading Vasquez, unless a really beneficial deal was to happen. my main point was to highlight that perhaps giving Vasquez a full season as a starter, and if he posted the stats I mention then we would be in a better overall situation than if he is kept as a second unit guard this year.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by morsatun View Post
    I just wanted to clarify that even when I started the thread, I am in no way in favor of trading Vasquez, unless a really beneficial deal was to happen. my main point was to highlight that perhaps giving Vasquez a full season as a starter, and if he posted the stats I mention then we would be in a better overall situation than if he is kept as a second unit guard this year.
    Ok. I misunderstood. However, I do see a lot of other fans insisting that Rivers is the answer. I can't see it. Making the transition from college SG to NBA PG ain't easy. Westbrook is one of the few to have made it work.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Like morsaturn mentioned, these are misleading stats. But just think about the caliber of players Vasquez was playing with last season. You cannot honestly say that he will not be playing with clearly more talented guys this year.

Qué no.

Thread Information