Pelicans Report

Thread: Our new backcourt

Our new backcourt

I have a few questions guys. I know some points have already been discussed but I hope to add a little something to this debate with these questions. I guess it's a "Boom or Bust" thread that I'm trying to start but I put my brain and heart into it .

Do you guys see a Rivers/Gordon backcourt playing like the ex-GSW backcourt Curry/Ellis?
    I haven't watched GSW enough but I remember some games with Ellis and Curry combined for 50 pts or more.
    Do you see that happening in NOLA?
    Was this ex-GSW backcourt work out well in terms of Wins?

We won't be a "Run and Gun" team, and since we are playing defense.
    I definitely see our offense being much more explosive with Rivers and EG, so Monty should make sure these 2 get enough PT on the floor together to create that chemistry that we are hoping for. I'm not opening another thread on "Rivers should start", I'm just saying that Vasquez should be able to facilitate the offense of the second unit since he is the better passer, to make sure our points production doesn't drop that much when the starters take a break. I expect the Vasquez/Mason backcourt on the floor being a real threat from 3. Monty last season put Jack on the second unit to boost the second unit. But again, Rivers needs time...

It's only speculation, I'm not in Monty's head and I'm not a NBA coach either.

What do y'all think?
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

Hopefully we can have more chemistry than they had, but its a good comparison. Ellis and Gordon are like the same except Gordon is thicker. I'm pretty sure that Curry always played point guard but his dad was in the NBA like Austin's, but Austin's dad is also a coach. I think Rivers will shock a lot of people, he can play point.

BUT DON'T JUDGE HIM OFF HIS ROOKIE SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, I'll be patient I know he needs time. I expect solid numbers from him though at least as a scorer maybe between 12 and 15 points depending on the PT he receives.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFan1 View Post
    BUT DON'T JUDGE HIM OFF HIS ROOKIE SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Agreed. It will be a struggle early on.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Think Rivers/Gordon backcourt should be much better because Gordon is already proclaimed by Monty as a good defender. And Rivers has the quickness and size to follow suit. Now will they both score as prolifically? One can only hope...

I think Rivers starts from day one along with Gordon, to give us more scoring on the first team. Our second unit is loaded with scorers, Vasquez, Mason, Anderson, J Smith, Henry, and Miller can score, so i believe you have to have Rivers starting to help with the scoring for the first team. Davis will get some put back baskets, Lopez and Aminu will mostly give you rebounding and defense so i say Rivers and Gordon will carry alot of the scoring load for the starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Liltiger View Post
    I think Rivers starts from day one along with Gordon, to give us more scoring on the first team. Our second unit is loaded with scorers, Vasquez, Mason, Anderson, J Smith, Henry, and Miller can score, so i believe you have to have Rivers starting to help with the scoring for the first team. Davis will get some put back baskets, Lopez and Aminu will mostly give you rebounding and defense so i say Rivers and Gordon will carry alot of the scoring load for the starters.
    You realize that there are no scorerers on your list of the second unit (with the possible exception of X if he reaches his ceiling, which is very unlikely)?

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    You realize that there are no scorerers on your list of the second unit (with the possible exception of X if he reaches his ceiling, which is very unlikely)?
    I think he meant to say shooters. Not sure that Anderson is in the 2nd lineup, but that's a moot point because Lopez can't score either. Still, with that lineup, Vasquez might actually be better to be surrounded by shooters because he is a very good creator for others. It could work out like that.

Scoring is all encompassing. Rivers (still unproven, but we're basing this off of college performance) and Gordon can score because they can do it in a variety of ways. Both can create their own shot. Anderson, until he proves that he has a post-game, is purely a shooter and not a scorer.

Jason Smith is a scorer! A big one!

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I think he meant to say shooters. Not sure that Anderson is in the 2nd lineup, but that's a moot point because Lopez can't score either.

Scoring is all encompassing. Rivers (still unproven, but we're basing this off of college performance) and Gordon can score because they can do it in a variety of ways. Both can create their own shot. Anderson, until he proves that he has a post-game, is purely a shooter and not a scorer.
    Yes. Thank you for clarifying my point

PG: Austin Rivers
    SG: Eric Gordon
    SF: Al-Farouq Aminu
    PF: Ryan Anderson
    C: Anthony Davis

That is a damn good line-up.

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    PG: Austin Rivers
    SG: Eric Gordon
    SF: Al-Farouq Aminu
    PF: Ryan Anderson
    C: Anthony Davis

That is a damn good line-up.
    ...that can run on the court with any team.

Thread Information