.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 60

Thread: Xavier Henry at SF

  1. #1

    Xavier Henry at SF

    OK everyone I know were not all Xavier Henry fans, but lets take a step back. Despite being slightly undersized, SF is a perfect position for him. He can get to the free throw line, can handle the ball well for a SF, can get to the rim easy for a SF, and he has a lot of upside. I know he is a hard worker, but this past year was hard for him. SO, if he plays admirably well this season at SF, I can see us not picking up his option but doing a Jason Smith, turning it into another contract. But in this case, it would be cheaper. Thoughts?

    P.S. I will now brainwash you with some videos.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re1ctj_VYLQ

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIxie...feature=relmfu

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5bTb2Meal4

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PENu1s7jt6c

  2. #2
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,223
    Not a lot of upside but upside
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

  3. #3
    Pretty cool. Mr. West's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Round Shreveport
    Posts
    3,492
    I think that his last chance in this league is at SF. He has underperformed considerably at SG. Much like Aminu, this is his last chance to turn it around before grabbing the bust lable. However, most people arn't nearly as optimistic about X. I am one of those people.
    @DanielVeuleman

  4. #4
    Back Door Man RUFshreve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Shreveport
    Posts
    740
    X just can't seem to consistently hit the open shot. I don't have much faith in him anymore.

  5. #5
    I don't understand the X hate. Last year was his rookie year, and he did well IMO - especially considering he was only 20 years old. He can shoot the 3 - over 41% last year (less than a shot per game, but still), so I don't understand why people don't think he can. He did well in summer league for those that actually watched the game. Did he set the world on fire? No. But he played well and did so in spite of an injury that required surgery immediately after summer league ended.

    The kid just turned 21, and this will be his 2nd year in the league, so I don't understand the hatred. Some people need to pump the breaks and remember that he needs time. Am I saying he is going to set the world on fire? No. I'm not. But it's possible. The point is that we just don't know yet because he is only 21, so chill.

    And by the way, SF is definitely his best position, IMO.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I don't understand the X hate. Last year was his rookie year, and he did well IMO - especially considering he was only 20 years old. He can shoot the 3 - over 41% last year (less than a shot per game, but still), so I don't understand why people don't think he can. He did well in summer league for those that actually watched the game. Did he set the world on fire? No. But he played well and did so in spite of an injury that required surgery immediately after summer league ended.

    The kid just turned 21, and this will be his 2nd year in the league, so I don't understand the hatred. Some people need to pump the breaks and remember that he needs time. Am I saying he is going to set the world on fire? No. I'm not. But it's possible. The point is that we just don't know yet because he is only 21, so chill.

    And by the way, SF is definitely his best position, IMO.
    Great post! Exactly what I was thinking.

  7. #7
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Silverfoxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,857
    X will avg 14 ppg this season and become fan favortie with his happy face and loveable free throws.
    True Love

  8. #8
    The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    BallSoHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13,713
    FINALLY A TOPIC THAT HASNT BEEN DISCUSSED!!!!

  9. #9
    The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    BallSoHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13,713
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I don't understand the X hate. Last year was his rookie year, and he did well IMO - especially considering he was only 20 years old. He can shoot the 3 - over 41% last year (less than a shot per game, but still), so I don't understand why people don't think he can. He did well in summer league for those that actually watched the game. Did he set the world on fire? No. But he played well and did so in spite of an injury that required surgery immediately after summer league ended.

    The kid just turned 21, and this will be his 2nd year in the league, so I don't understand the hatred. Some people need to pump the breaks and remember that he needs time. Am I saying he is going to set the world on fire? No. I'm not. But it's possible. The point is that we just don't know yet because he is only 21, so chill.

    And by the way, SF is definitely his best position, IMO.
    Uhh it was his second year.

  10. #10
    I think he can be a solid player, he needs to work on that jumper and continue to play hard on both ends of the floor. I'm not giving up on a 21 years old guy who has struggled with injuries on his first years in the league. These injuries kept him from accumulating significant minutes on the floor. X had earn a starting spot with the Grizz in his first year.
    I think X has a chance this year at SF ! It's on him ! He has some upside let's not forget that, and Monty is his coach.

    Do I need to add that I'm a fan of X? Lol
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Uhh it was his second year.
    Does his first year count if he missed the entire season? You know the answer to that... I shouldn't have to address it.

  12. #12
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,562
    I wouldn't count playing in 38 games missing the entire season, but he missed significant time. And He attempted 17 3s, that isn't enough to justify the 41%, he cant "shoot the 3". He shot around 21% from their the year before.

  13. #13
    The Mad Titan    Contributor   
    BallSoHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13,713
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Does his first year count if he missed the entire season? You know the answer to that... I shouldn't have to address it.
    He played in 7 more games this season than his rookie year. Did this season not count as well?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    I wouldn't count playing in 38 games missing the entire season, but he missed significant time. And He attempted 17 3s, that isn't enough to justify the 41%, he cant "shoot the 3". He shot around 21% from their the year before.
    Is it enough to justify the people saying that he is a bad 3-point shooter?

    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    He played in 7 more games this season than his rookie year. Did this season not count as well?
    The guy played 83 total games between this year and last year - in a very limited role. That equates to 1 rookie season, IMO. And he was injured, so he couldn't practice, which makes it even worse. That is how I view it anyway.

  15. #15
    The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    10,562
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Is it enough to justify the people saying that he is a bad 3-point shooter?
    Mabye, maybe not. His rookie year he went 2-17, last year 7-17, pick somewhere in the middle. I think people say he is a bad shooter because for his career from the field he is shooting just under 40% at 39.9 - that is not encouraging.

    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    The guy played 83 total games between this year and last year - in a very limited role. That equates to 1 rookie season, IMO. And he was injured, so he couldn't practice, which makes it even worse. That is how I view it anyway
    I just don't get this thought process, is eric gordon going into his 3rd season because he has missed a possible 105 games? Henry has had 2 years of training camps/practices/workouts/meetings. Should be seeing some kind of improvement. I get what your overall point is, but also being injured and missing half of each of your first 2 years isnt assuring.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 08-20-2012 at 09:13 PM.

  16. #16
    I'm really excited about X. He is one of the big reasons I'm a Hornets' fan. I'm expecting big things from the guy. Wouldn't be surprised if he turns it on and steals the starting SF position.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    The guy played 83 total games between this year and last year - in a very limited role. That equates to 1 rookie season, IMO. And he was injured, so he couldn't practice, which makes it even worse. That is how I view it anyway.
    just because he wasn't playing in games doesn't mean he wasn't with the team, watching practice, watching film, working with coaches, working on stuff that wouldn't be hindered by his injury, etc. etc. Regardless of injuries he has been in the nba with lots of time/chances to develop his game and learn the nba game. you can't just not count a year because he only played in half the games, that isn't how it works.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Mabye, maybe not. His rookie year he went 2-17, last year 7-17, pick somewhere in the middle. I think people say he is a bad shooter because for his career from the field he is shooting just under 40% at 39.9 - that is not encouraging.



    I just don't get this thought process, is eric gordon going into his 3rd season because he has missed a possible 105 games? Henry has had 2 years of training camps/practices/workouts/meetings. Should be seeing some kind of improvement. I get what your overall point is, but also being injured and missing half of each of your first 2 years isnt assuring.
    First part, you have to watch Xavier play. Stop looking at the box score. What does he do well? Do you even know? Or do you just know he shoots around 40% from the field? (Just so you know, that was rhetorical, and I'm not calling you out or anything)

    The fact of the matter is that Henry can get to the rim with ease, and he can hit the open 3. He can play defense, and he is a very good rebounder for his size (likely because he is so strong and smart on the floor). If you watch him on the court, you can tell that he has a very good basketball I.Q. as well. There is a lot to like about him.

    Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    just because he wasn't playing in games doesn't mean he wasn't with the team, watching practice, watching film, working with coaches, working on stuff that wouldn't be hindered by his injury, etc. etc. Regardless of injuries he has been in the nba with lots of time/chances to develop his game and learn the nba game. you can't just not count a year because he only played in half the games, that isn't how it works.
    Second part, and this goes for both of you guys, games played matter much more for a 1st or 2nd year play than they do for a 5th year player. EJ misses half a season last year, it doesn't effect his growth as a player nearly as much as it effects Henry missing half of his 1st and 2nd season. And watching practice and film only get you so far. Young guys like Xavier and Aminu need reps. They need to be on the court, whether that be in practice or in the game, and Henry couldn't do that for 2 halves of a season (or 1 full season) at the beginning of his career - that plays a big toll.

    Give it some time. Monty singled him out in summer league as part of our young core moving forward, and he stopped playing Ariza towards the end of last season to get Henry (and Aminu) more minutes.

  19. #19
    Pretty cool. Mr. West's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Round Shreveport
    Posts
    3,492
    I've watched X too and I disagree. I saw hesitation, no confidence and an overall lack of a distinctive skill set. Below average at everything is the label I would throw his way at the end of last season without looking at a single stat.

    However maybe he'll get better next year. I will hold off judgement on him for one more year, but another year like last and I'd imagine he finds a home in the D League, personally.

  20. #20
    he looked heavy as of recent

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Does his first year count if he missed the entire season? You know the answer to that... I shouldn't have to address it.
    Does Blake's count?

  22. #22
    I will never understand how a "shooter" like Henry comes into the league can completely forget how to shoot. We're talking about every single category including Free Throws. It's one of the stranger things I've seen.

  23. #23
    Starter CarnbY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3nDX30 View Post
    he looked heavy as of recent
    Yeah, which is why I agree that he should probably play SF, he's become too slow and lumbering to keep up with SG's.

    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213
    The fact of the matter is that Henry can get to the rim with ease
    I wouldn't exactly say that, more like he can barrel into a defender near the rim and throw up a prayer with ease. He's too slow to get around anyone so his drives become very predictable. It did get him quite a few free-throws in summer league though.

    I like the guy and was hoping the Hornets would draft him two years ago, but even though he's still young I don't see him improving much. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong!

  24. #24
    Gradually in there sophomore year you can tell if they have potential or what.. Xavier didn't show much potential imo.
    While on the same note grevis shows a lot of potential in becoming a solid player.

  25. #25
    Ked' sme sami som tak rád.. Kurgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Italia/Žilina/Praha
    Posts
    3,000
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I don't understand the X hate. Last year was his rookie year, and he did well IMO - especially considering he was only 20 years old. He can shoot the 3 - over 41% last year (less than a shot per game, but still), so I don't understand why people don't think he can. He did well in summer league for those that actually watched the game. Did he set the world on fire? No. But he played well and did so in spite of an injury that required surgery immediately after summer league ended.

    The kid just turned 21, and this will be his 2nd year in the league, so I don't understand the hatred. Some people need to pump the breaks and remember that he needs time. Am I saying he is going to set the world on fire? No. I'm not. But it's possible. The point is that we just don't know yet because he is only 21, so chill.

    And by the way, SF is definitely his best position, IMO.
    This. Thanks.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •