Pelicans Report

Thread: Hakim Warrick may see some playing time at small forward this season.

Hakim Warrick may see some playing time at small forward this season.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1142/hakim-warrick
    With just Al-Farouq Aminu and rookie Darius Miller as the current SF's on the roster, Warrick may see some time at SF given the depth along the frontline. We suspect Ryan Anderson could also see some time at SF as well if the Hornets want to use big lineups that feature Anthony Davis and one of Robin Lopez or Jason Smith at center. Regardless, we don't see Warrick accruing any sort of sustainable fantasy value.

http://www.nba.com/hornets/news/new-...rleans-hornets
    Last edited by All Metro; 08-20-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    SIGN A SF

He might, but overall I don't see him getting much playing time at all, unless Monty can teach him a few things. The guy can jump out of the building, but nothing much more than that.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    He def. will, unless injury, I don't see him playing anywhere else.

And in response to raff I actually think he gets PT. Offensively, there aren't many backups in the league that can stop Warrick. Aminu's weakness (offense) is Warrick's strength. I want to get miller minutes but he may be the one not seeing the floor too often.

Geaux Hornets! Contributor PrepP's Avatar
    Imagine a lineup of Vasquez - Gordon - Davis - Smith - Lopez. Do you guys think we might see this lineup any this season? So much versatility with our roster. I really like that. Monty should be able to match up with just about anything with this roster.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrepP View Post
    Imagine a lineup of Vasquez - Gordon - Davis - Smith - Lopez. Do you guys think we might see this lineup any this season? So much versatility with our roster. I really like that. Monty should be able to match up with just about anything with this roster.
    Think that line up is missing Anderson. Probably swap him for Smith and that might just be our starting line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Think that line up is missing Anderson. Probably swap him for Smith and that might just be our starting line up.
    Davis starts at SF???????

Dude, that picture of the players is awesome.

I don't think we will see that line-up, but we probably will see Vasquez, Gordon, Anderson, Davis and Lopez playing together from time to time, which would still leave us a nice bench.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Never trust a report that blatantly leaves out a player. Xavier Henry will play SF, giving the Hornets three SF's, plus Ryan Anderson in spot duty. There are less people in Warrick's way at his natural position of PF.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Never trust a report that blatantly leaves out a player.
    I agree, and honestly, I forgot about him too before you mentioned it. I think that is the problem.

Warrick would be an awful SF. He can't score from the perimeter and he can't defend perimeter players. He would be an abomination from the wing.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Warrick would be an awful SF. He can't score from the perimeter and he can't defend perimeter players. He would be an abomination from the wing.
    Agreed. The only way this could work is if the team plays zone which I hope thats the case.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Davis starts at SF???????
    Doesn't matter. Davis, Anderson. It's to our benefit to play our best players and let matchups work themselves out.

Doesn't matter. Davis, Anderson. It's to our benefit to play our best players and let matchups work themselves out.
    It does matter because it doesn't work like that. There will be matchups where that line wouldnt produce as well. Your best players aren't always your starting 5.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    It does matter because it doesn't work like that. There will be matchups where that line wouldnt produce as well. Your best players aren't always your starting 5.
    I'm not saying you take that lineup against the Heat or Thunder. But on average? It's not like a team will forget their whole strategy and say "You know, they have Davis Anderson and Lopez out there. Let's attack them with our 3, even though he's not really a go to guy."

Besides, they have to guard us too. What are they going to do when Davis does "play SF" and we run a pick and roll with him and Gordon?

I'm not saying you take that lineup against the Heat or Thunder. But on average? It's not like a team will forget their whole strategy and say "You know, they have Davis Anderson and Lopez out there. Let's attack them with our 3, even though he's not really a go to guy."

Besides, they have to guard us too. What are they going to do when Davis does "play SF" and we run a pick and roll with him and Gordon?
    It isnt really about offense, im not worried about that. when you start getting into potential lineups its mainly about the defensive end. On offense, we cannot dictate who will guard our guys (ex. If the lakers want to, they can put howard on davis). On defense, we can control who plays what position, so if we want davis to play sf, he can, on the defensive end.

You are absolutely right, they would have to defend us, but teams that put smaller, faster guys on the floor would hurt that lineup even with that length. I want our bigs to play big, and i dont want davis anywhere near the wing, pretty much eliminating his (team-helping, not 1 on 1) shot blocking/rebounding talents.

Don't think we'd play man to man with a line up like that.

Not to mention that if we really are going to be bound by calling things by positions, it'd be Anderson who does the majority of guarding the wing in that particular lineup.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 08-20-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Don't think we'd play man to man with a line up like that.
    Probably not, but there are isolations and certain plays the offense can run to attack that. I love our size/flexibility of our players now that allows us to even talk about situations and lineups like this. Most teams to not have that luxury.

Ain't it man? I don't even totally agree with what I'm saying. Just talkin' cuz we're in that summer doldrums period between Summer League and the start of training camps and mild debate passes the time while I kick writer's block in the teeth.

Ain't it man? I don't even totally agree with what I'm saying. Just talkin' cuz we're in that summer doldrums period between Summer League and the start of training camps and mild debate passes the time while I kick writer's block in the teeth.
    I totally get what you were saying and am not opposed to it, I was just saying my opinion and what I think is more realistic. Your proposed lineup would give defenses headaches though.

We need to go all zone this year.

Davis was a stud when playing the zone center in the Olympics.

Could New Orleans Hornets rookie power forward Anthony Davis see some action at small forward this year?

On the surface, it would appear that players such as Al-Farouq Aminu and rookie Darius Miller would be the team's primary option this season at the small forward position, or even veteran acquisition Ryan Anderson.

But Hornets Coach Monty Williams offered an intriguing candidate as a possible part of the position's rotation on Tuesday: Anthony Davis.

In saying that no one has yet to step up and dominate the battle for the position, Williams said if the Hornets went to a big lineup, Davis could play the three.

"Anthony moreso than Ryan," Williams said. "The more I watch those guys play, Anthony has the skill set where he can play the wing a little bit. Ryan is really good at playing the four and learning those sets should be easier for him. But we don't know."
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss..._river_default

Thread Information