Pelicans Report

Thread: Bower new 76ers Gm? {edited-speculation}

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Bower new 76ers Gm? {edited-speculation}

John Mitchell: Sixer brass to interview Boston's Mike Zarren (1st interview) & Jeff Bower (2nd int.) for GM job in 1st part of week - league source
    Man if Bower gets that job, the 76ers organization will go down the drain.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    Seems like he's been in the running for a lot of jobs lately. Clearly FOs see something in him...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Seems like he's been in the running for a lot of jobs lately. Clearly FOs see something in him...
    Why do you think none of them have hired him yet? This is what, his 3rd or 4th team that he's been in the running for?

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I'm sure he's getting the interviews for his experience. He's not getting the jobs because he's Bower.

Aren't you guys being a little hard on bower? I mean those teams that got destructed it came from Shinn to blow it up. I blame Shinn for those teams struggles more so than bower. I mean he did agree to some bad deals early with Posey/ Mo Pete but he was trying to build around a superstar who was on his way out in Paul. In Philly his situation would be much more ideal than what we had.

Escaped monkey island! all2neat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Man if Bower gets that job, the 76ers organization will go down the drain.
    It's not exactly out of the drain so much either. At best it's on the seat.

They were the 8th seed in the east, and the only reason they moved on to the second round was because of the injury to Rose.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Wait, so they acquired Bynum without a true GM?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets05 View Post
    Aren't you guys being a little hard on bower?
    There is a reason Bower hasn't been able to land another GM job since New Orleans.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 08-20-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets05 View Post
    Aren't you guys being a little hard on bower? I mean those teams that got destructed it came from Shinn to blow it up. I blame Shinn for those teams struggles more so than bower. I mean he did agree to some bad deals early with Posey/ Mo Pete but he was trying to build around a superstar who was on his way out in Paul. In Philly his situation would be much more ideal than what we had.
    I don't think Paul was considered to be on his way out back in 07.

The guy could have learned something since the last time he has run a club. I'm sure tons of people here have gotten better at their jobs since then. The fact is, you don't know what Shinn told him to do or not. I don't think i'd hire him, but if they're looking for a GM to be a drone who does exactly what the owner wants, the Bower is good at that. If we're talking about an owner that tells their GM to "build a contender and I don't care how" Bower's terrible for the job.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

If GM's do what their owners/bosses tell them, why do they get fired so often? If they are simply 'yes men', why do they get fired so often?

Bower doesn't get a pass. If people can clown, Billy King, Billy Knight, etc, Bower can get it too.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    If GM's do what their owners/bosses tell them, why do they get fired so often? If they are simply 'yes men', why do they get fired so often?

Bower doesn't get a pass. If people can clown, Billy King, Billy Knight, etc, Bower can get it too.
    I think all teams require an owners sign-off, but I think a lot of GMs have different directives. Bower could have been given different directives. Again, i'm not saying he's a great GM, all i'm saying is he could have gotten better, and we don't know the full story. But all of those GMs deserved to be clowned honestly. Billy King has done a lot better job under the nets than the previous teams.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post

Also i never said ALL GMs? So that's WHY they get fired so often, because not all owners want a pet as a GM, but some do. Look at the trailblazers.

Thread Information