Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ibaka signs extension for 12 mil per

Ibaka signs extension for 12 mil per

Ibaka signed an extension with the Thunder for 4 years, 48 million. I feel that is overpaying for them, but it makes me feel better about the Anderson contract.

Serge Ibaka agrees to extension

The Oklahoma City Thunder have locked up another of their core players by agreeing to a contract extension with center Serge Ibaka, according to a report.

Ibaka agreed to a four-year deal worth $48 million, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Considered an above-average defensive player, Ibaka would've been eligible to become a restricted free agent next summer.

Ibaka would be the latest member of the Western Conference champion Thunder to reach a long-term extension, joining Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

The 6-foot-10 Ibaka, who just completed his third season, averaged 9.5 points, 7.5 rebounds and 3.6 blocks this past season. He also was a member of Spain's silver medal-winning team at the London Olympics.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/82...tension-report
    Wonder if they're still gonna keep Harden? With the Lakers forming another super team out West IMO the Thunder have no choice but to keep Harden now to remain in title contention. They can't afford to take a step back in hopes that they can find someone cheaper to fill Harden's shoes if he were to depart the team via free agency.

12 million isn't overpaid for what he does in OKC or any title contender, but he wouldn't be worth it elsewhere.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    This is about what I'd expect him to make... but I was expecting Harden to get an extension before Ibaka. Wonder what this means for Harden.

He should have waited. He could have gotten alot more in the open market. Dumb move by his agent for allowing him to sign early.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    He should have waited. He could have gotten alot more in the open market. Dumb move by his agent for allowing him to sign early.
    He could have gotten more in the open market? Like 2 mil more if he got the max right? Not really that stupid.

He may not have wanted to go anywhere else.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Luke's Hornets View Post
    He could have gotten more in the open market? Like 2 mil more if he got the max right? Not really that stupid.

2 mil more? More like 10 million more. He may not have wanted to go elsewhere but that's not a good enougj reason to not to test the market Ala Harden.

2 mil more? More like 10 million more. He may not have wanted to go elsewhere but that's not a good enougj reason to not to test the market Ala Harden.
    8 mil if you count all 4 years? I thought only the team with birds rights could offer the 5 year deal.

But that's not the point, He is on a contender where his skills are suited. Ibaka could not be the man on another team.
    This is the right move for him, nothing "stupid" about it. It's a guarantee, he gets his money now instead of having to prove he is worth a max deal.

I seen McNamara saying this also, actually he was more crying because he thought the thunder would break up. lol

8 mil if you count all 4 years? I thought only the team with birds rights could offer the 5 year deal.

But that's not the point, He is on a contender where his skills are suited. Ibaka could not be the man on another team.
    This is the right move for him, nothing "stupid" about it. It's a guarantee, he gets his money now instead of having to prove he is worth a max deal.
    Wrong. The max he can receive over 4 years is 58 million. So 10 million was what he lost out on because he took a "discount". It doesn't matter what you think he could or couldn't be on another team. The fact of the matter is, he could have gotten a lot more in the open market.

I seen McNamara saying this also, actually he was more crying because he thought the thunder would break up. lol
    It doesn't matter what your boy thinks. It makes it harder for them to retain Harden because it'll cost them 25+ mil in luxury taxes per year to retain him.

It doesn't matter what your boy thinks. It makes it harder for them to retain Harden because it'll cost them 25+ mil in luxury taxes per year to retain him.
    Believe me he is not my boy. He was on your side. I was just pointing out he was agreeing with you.

Wrong. The max he can receive over 4 years is 58 million. So 10 million was what he lost out on because he took a "discount". It doesn't matter what you think he could or couldn't be on another team. The fact of the matter is, he could have gotten a lot more in the open market.
    You can't be serious with this. The guys is getting paid like 3 mil a year now. He took a 12 mil a year contract now instead of playing out another year for 2 mil more a year or so. If you call dumb not gambling on your play to decline or having an injury and taking the money now, not to mention playing where he is already settled. Then yea he is Dump.

You can't be serious with this. The guys is getting paid like 3 mil a year now. He took a 12 mil a year contract now instead of playing out another year for 2 mil more a year or so. If you call dumb not gambling on your play to decline or having an injury and taking the money now, not to mention playing where he is already settled. Then yea he is Dump.
    You mean like Gordon, Hibbert, or even Batum this past year?

obviously by him taking a cut they are trying to seal them both. they will probably amnesty perkins and cut a few players

I don't think Ibaka was that dumb. He was gonna get a max offer outside of OKC. He doesn't have that kind of talent. Plus 12 million a year is fair as well. He's a guy who runs the floor, makes an open jumper and blocks shots.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetsFan1 View Post
    obviously by him taking a cut they are trying to seal them both. they will probably amnesty perkins and cut a few players
    I would completely agree......... if the one team that can now beat them in the West didn't just sign Dwight Howard, who will dominate the Thunder unless they have the one player that's been known to shut him down - Kendrick Perkins.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterrich View Post
    I would completely agree......... if the one team that can now beat them in the West didn't just sign Dwight Howard, who will dominate the Thunder unless they have the one player that's been known to shut him down - Kendrick Perkins.
    The long-term problem for the Thunder is they'll be unable to retain their "Dwight Stopper" in Perkins, and resign Harden, at the same time. Perkins is going to have to go, unless Harden takes a substantial paycut. Of course, retaining Harden is more important, but they will basically be back to their beginning stages in terms of being unable to beat any team with a post presence.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

No way he would get a max deal he isn't all that now
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    No way he would get a max deal he isn't all that now
    He doesn't have to be. Bigs with athleticism and coordination who defends don't grow on trees. Bigs who has potential and has shown the capacity to grow on offense and defense will always get the benefit of the doubt. If he's receiving an offer from OKC for 48mil now, that will be his starting point on the open market and would take close to the max or the max to make OKC think twice... especially with Harden's contract around the corner as well.

I'm just not sure how it works now with Harden... 3 years down the road, between Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, and Harden, they are looking at upwards of $63 million just for those 4 players... Then, they have to add 9 players to that. Doesn't seem possible.

He doesn't have to be. Bigs with athleticism and coordination who defends don't grow on trees. Bigs who has potential and has shown the capacity to grow on offense and defense will always get the benefit of the doubt. If he's receiving an offer from OKC for 48mil now, that will be his starting point on the open market and would take close to the max or the max to make OKC think twice... especially with Harden's contract around the corner as well.
    I know but still anyone paying a max deal for Ibaka is crazy, max deals are going out like they are nothing.. ala Eric Gordon

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    I know but still anyone paying a max deal for Ibaka is crazy, max deals are going out like they are nothing.. ala Eric Gordon
    But athletic bigs are so rare they always get overpaid. Especially if their restricted, because who's going to let a young talented big like that walk for nothing if their not overpaid? I mean have you ever heard of an UNDERPAID big? Guys like Deandre Jordan and NeNe are making huge money and haven't really proven anything. Ibaka has proven he's an elite shot blocker and is still only 22. No doubt someone would have offered him a max. He's making less than Nicholas Batum!! Either his agent is an idiot or they somehow talked him into taking a pay cut to try and keep the core together, but that still looks tough with the new lux. tax penalties.

The weird thing is I would rather have Javale over Ibaka on our team.

Thread Information