Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Austin Rivers will not be the Hornets 6th man.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorpens View Post
    Ok but when he win dont say i didnt see it coming
    I'm sure you see lots of things...

He got beat up enough after 2 games in Summer League to need to sit out the last 3 games. He's young and still has a lot of maturing/growing to do both physically and mentally. I think one of the 247 podcasts pointed out that Tony Parker took about 3 years before he became trusted enough to earn starters minutes.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Perhaps by mid to late season Rivers could be starting IF he transitions well to the NBA and shows he can set up team mates. Right now I think hes best suited to just be aggressive on offense with the second unit.
    I completely agree. I don't want to throw him to the wolves too early. I can see him starting around January or February if he develops correctly.

I honestly don't see the point of Vasquez starting. This team is rebuilding and not in contention so I don't see the reasoning of stunting Rivers development by giving Vasquez more minutes over him when Rivers is the better talent?

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Nate View Post
    I honestly don't see the point of Vasquez starting. This team is rebuilding and not in contention so I don't see the reasoning of stunting Rivers development by giving Vasquez more minutes over him when Rivers is the better talent?
    Playing Rivers 20+ minutes per game is not going to stunt his development. Playing him more minutes than he's earned can stunt his development both from an injury standpoint and from picking up bad habits by Monty not yanking him when he screws up.

Vasquez is the better player right now and the team will try to win early in the season as well as develop players. Rivers still needs to work on things and will make it easier coming off the bench. Throwing him into the fire would be a mistake.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Playing Rivers 20+ minutes per game is not going to stunt his development. Playing him more minutes than he's earned can stunt his development both from an injury standpoint and from picking up bad habits by Monty not yanking him when he screws up.
    The only thing proven from that method is that it hurts a young players confidence in knowing he's going to get pulled as soon as he makes one mistake. The best way to let young players learn is to let them play through their mistakes by letting them recognize and try to correct it on the floor. The , "You're gonna get pulled if you take a bad shot or blow a defensive assignment!" method does not work well over the long haul where we end up having to trade the player to another team for them to really blossom. Don't see the point of that of a short leash on young players when this team is rebuilding and not in contention?

Starting him too early will make it alot more difficult to get rid of some of the bad habits he has. Easier to develop him off the bench where there isn't as much pressure. Plus, Vasquez is a solid PG who is young as well. He's ahead of Rivers right now and deserves to start over him. Starting Rivers right away and letting him struggle early and often will affect his confidence.

I get off line for like 7 hours and yall go crazy about my last post. I know kemba was awful last year but i thought he would win it. Norris cole is terrible because he hasn't had a training camp yet. Did you see him in the finals??? He was a gem that we found in the late first round
    Ballin

Quote Originally Posted by Razorpens View Post
    I get off line for like 7 hours and yall go crazy about my last post. I know kemba was awful last year but i thought he would win it. Norris cole is terrible because he hasn't had a training camp yet. Did you see him in the finals??? He was a gem that we found in the late first round
    Yeah you can get the hell out of here. LOL bandwagon Heat fan coming on here with terrible posts.

I honestly don't see the point of Vasquez starting.
    Right now Vasuqez is the better option; he knows the offense and has experience playing the position. We are grooming Rivers to fill that role, you don't put a guy there if he isn't ready, that is how you truly stunt development. I trust Monty and Demps with whatever decision they make.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 08-17-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Starting him too early will make it alot more difficult to get rid of some of the bad habits he has. Easier to develop him off the bench where there isn't as much pressure. Plus, Vasquez is a solid PG who is young as well. He's ahead of Rivers right now and deserves to start over him. Starting Rivers right away and letting him struggle early and often will affect his confidence.
    That can't be any worse than racking up a whole bunch of DNPs or a few 10-15 minute spurts every other game where he get's pulled for missing a defensive assignment or taking a bad shot.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    Then you don't understand basketball. Right now Vasuqez is the better option; he knows the offense and has experience playing the position. We are grooming Rivers to fill that role, you don't put a guy there if he isn't ready, that is how you truly stunt development. I trust Monty and Demps with whatever decision they make.
    Long term, Vasquez is a career back up. It doesn't take the best basketball mind in the NBA to figure that out bruh.

Yeah you can get the hell out of here. LOL bandwagon Heat fan coming on here with terrible posts.
    lol im not no bandwagon heat fan. Ima fan but no bandwagon and bobcats fan to see kemba

I was at least expecting a source with an absolute statement as the topic.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

That can't be any worse than racking up a whole bunch of DNPs or a few 10-15 minute spurts every other game where he get's pulled for missing a defensive assignment or taking a bad shot.
    He's not gonna be getting alot of DNPs. He's the backup PG and will get more minutes when he deserves it. He hasn't proven he deserves a starting job right now.

He's not gonna be getting alot of DNPs. He's the backup PG and will get more minutes when he deserves it. He hasn't proven he deserves a starting job right now.
    No doubt...

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Its called earning your roll. Vasquez has paid his dues and is the better option at the moment.
    @DanielVeuleman

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    The dude couldn't handle summer league at this point, physically so why would he be allowed to start?

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Long term, Vasquez is a career back up. It doesn't take the best basketball mind in the NBA to figure that out bruh.
    How can you say that about someone who hasn't even reached their peak potentially? He has been in the nba 2 years. Last year Vasuqez showed he can be a starter and earned to at least start this season out as the 1st PG, bruh.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 08-17-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Thought this thread was appropriate:

Who is suggesting that. He'll be the 3rd guard in the rotation and probably get 20+ minutes. You seem to think Monty will give him the Marcus Thornton treatment. Gerry V dropped a little inside info on this weeks 247 podcast and basically said that he questioned Monty and did things the way he wanted to do them. He even compared him to JR Smith. You will not see a similar attitude problem with Rivers.

Besides, there are players other than Austin Rivers on the roster, and it'll probably be better for their development to play with someone who can set up and run a conventional offense. Rivers is certainly not that right now, and he's a long way from being that. For guys like Aminu and especially Davis to develop, they need someone who can get them the ball in places where they can be effective. Austin River was a poor passer in college, and Vasquez assists at one of the better rates in the NBA. It's not like he's some ancient, on his last legs vet, either. He's gotten better over the past two years and he showed real improvement on his jumpshot in international play. Rivers will get enough minutes to develop regardless due to the lack of a 4th guy who will demand them, but it makes no sense to me to put him in the starting lineup ahead of a better player who understands how to get teammates involved. Maybe Rivers develops that, but most smart objective observers recognize the Rivers-to-PG project has a long way to go, if he ever gets there.

Make sure to bump this thread when he starts opening day gezzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Nola7 View Post
    Make sure to bump this thread when he starts opening day gezzzzzzz
    I wouldn't be upset with that at all, because that would mean that he has progressed as a point guard and earned it.

Its my opinion that Austin Rivers will not be "The Standard" 6th man for the Hornets.

More time has been spent on this thread talking about whether or not Rivers will start over Vazquez. There's a chance that Rivers starts, and if he does he wouldn be the Hornet's 6th man. Done and done.

If Vazquez starts he will facilitate the offense. He'll line up the plays, penetrate and kick out the ball, run the picks and reset broken plays.
    Eric Gordon will execute the offense. He'll catch and shoot, create his own shot and draw the defense.
    Gordon is the best player for the Hornets. He will not be the first Hornet going to the bench.
    Vazquez will be instrumental to the first quarter offense. If Rivers comes in for Vazquez he will alter the way the offense operates, especially since he is modeling himself after Westbrook an attacking high volume shooting point guard. To alter the offense so drastically so early is risky. I doubt that will be a regular rotation for the Hornets.
    They might take out Aminu and put in Rivers creating a 3 guard line up. "Going Small" That could leave the Hornets vulnerable to defensive mismatches, which makes it unlikely to be regular procedure.

The biggest question about the Horneys starting line up isn't at the point its at center. Anthony Davis is a better player than Lopez but he might not be able to match up against some of the big men in the league. The Hornets will probably vary their line up a bit. Which means if their line up isn't working at first they might have to adjust. This change up will mainly occur at the forward and center position. This also makes it highly unlikely that Rivers comes in consistenrly as the 6th man.
    On top of everything I've said, if Rivers comes off the bench he will have a lot of competition for that 6th spot. He could be going up against the likes of Anderson, Lopez, Smith, Mason jr, Aminu, and all of those people have one thing Rivers doesn't, experience playing in the NBA.

I've layed out a persuasive argument. For all those unhappy that I titled this thread like it was fact and not opinion I say, "You are right, but I challenge you to defeat my opinion with your own."
    Last edited by cavernity; 08-17-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Thread Information