Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Austin Rivers will not be the Hornets 6th man.

Austin Rivers will not be the Hornets 6th man.

Austin River's placement on the depth chart is predetermined by the teams make up.

Rivers might beat out Vasquez for the starting spot. In that case he will start and not come off the bench as the 6th man.

If he doesn't win the starting position the 2 most likely starting line ups will be:
    Vasquez, Gordon, Anderson, Davis, Lopez; or
    Vasquez, Gordon, Aminu, Anderson, Davis
    (I don't see them giving Anderson all that money to not start.)

In either of those two line ups they will bring in the sixth man after 8 minutes or so. I highly doubt the first person they switch out will be the point guard. Aminu or Lopez will probably be the first person rotated out. Neither of them are likely to be replaced by Austin Rivers.
    So because of the situation, I think that Austin will be number 7 off the bench, even if he is number 6 in our hearts.

Rivers shouldn't start yet. He isn't ready, and Monty and Demps don't want to rush him into this. He'll come off the bench. Vasquez will start. Rivers will absolutely be our 6th man.

You have a source or link where Monty said he's not to back that statement up?

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Rivers shouldn't start yet. He isn't ready, and Monty and Demps don't want to rush him into this. He'll come off the bench. Vasquez will start. Rivers will absolutely be our 6th man.
    He will start. He more than capable of taking the starting job from Vazquez before the season starts.
    Ballin

Quote Originally Posted by Razorpens View Post
    He will start. He more than capable of taking the starting job from Vazquez before the season starts.
    Your way off base. He has potential, but he won't take the job away from Vasquez in preseason. Vasquez is more polished right now. Stop fooling yourself.

He will be the backup PG and Mason Jr. will come off the bench as well as a backup SG/PG.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

If you look at last season. Most of the teams that had a point guard as a 6th man first rotated him in at the 2 and then slid him over to the point once he had time to transition into the offense. I just don't see Eric Gordon being the first starter off the court for the Hornets.

Why can't they bring in Rivers for Aminu and just play 3 guards? Vasquez is 6'6 211 lbs and can easily guard most SFs not named Lebron. I have a feeling we'll see a lot of 3 guard lineups with Anderson and Davis because it will allow us to space the floor with 4 shooters and pick and roll options with anyone handling the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Your way off base. He has potential, but he won't take the job away from Vasquez in preseason. Vasquez is more polished right now. Stop fooling yourself.

He will be the backup PG and Mason Jr. will come off the bench as well as a backup SG/PG.
    Will see. Bet he get ROY

Will see. Bet he get ROY
    And I invented the Benson Boogie.

And I invented the Benson Boogie.
    Ok but when he win dont say i didnt see it coming

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetshornets View Post
    Why can't they bring in Rivers for Aminu and just play 3 guards? Vasquez is 6'6 211 lbs and can easily guard most SFs not named Lebron. I have a feeling we'll see a lot of 3 guard lineups with Anderson and Davis because it will allow us to space the floor with 4 shooters and pick and roll options with anyone handling the ball.
    Honestly the whole 5 on the court will be able to shoot. Vasquez shot is iffy, but it seems like he improved.
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

I'm one of the biggest Rivers fans on this board, and I wanted us to draft him months and months before the actual draft happened. That said, he isn't ready to start yet. Vasquez knows the offense, and he has played in the league for a couple of years now. Rivers will get his minutes off the bench, but Monty won't throw him in the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by cavernity View Post
    If you look at last season. Most of the teams that had a point guard as a 6th man first rotated him in at the 2 and then slid him over to the point once he had time to transition into the offense. I just don't see Eric Gordon being the first starter off the court for the Hornets.
    Vasquez would come off the floor, and Rivers would run the point. There isn't a rule that your SG has to be the 1st off the bench.

I'm one of the biggest Rivers fans on this board, and I wanted us to draft him months and months before the actual draft happened. That said, he isn't ready to start yet. Vasquez knows the offense, and he has played in the league for a couple of years now. Rivers will get his minutes off the bench, but Monty won't throw him in the fire.

Yeh i know, im hyping him up to much lol.
    Lets hope he continues to make the transition to PG

Vasquez would come off the floor, and Rivers would run the point. There isn't a rule that your SG has to be the 1st off the bench.

Ha, a bit, but Rivers deserves the hype, IMO. He has some elite tools/intangibles to work with, but he is playing a different position in the NBA than he played in college, and that transition takes time. He'll have his growing pains this year (and perhaps next year too), but there is little doubt in my mind that he won't become what we hope he will become. I expect big things from him - great attitude/work ethic, and he has a great relationship with Monty - almost father/son.

If Rivers end up as a starter early in the season, there's 2 line of thought that comes to mind: Vasquez is injured or Vasquez regresses as a starter. Rivers has a lot to learn before he is ready to take command of an NBA team as a point guard. From what we've seen of him professionally, there will be at least be transition period before he's ready.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cavernity View Post
    Austin River's placement on the depth chart is predetermined by the teams make up.

Rivers might beat out Vasquez for the starting spot. In that case he will start and not come off the bench as the 6th man.

If he doesn't win the starting position the 2 most likely starting line ups will be:
    Vasquez, Gordon, Anderson, Davis, Lopez; or
    Vasquez, Gordon, Aminu, Anderson, Davis
    (I don't see them giving Anderson all that money to not start.)

In either of those two line ups they will bring in the sixth man after 8 minutes or so. I highly doubt the first person they switch out will be the point guard. Aminu or Lopez will probably be the first person rotated out. Neither of them are likely to be replaced by Austin Rivers.
    So because of the situation, I think that Austin will be number 7 off the bench, even if he is number 6 in our hearts.
    Will he play both the 1 and the 2 spot?

Will see. Bet he get ROY
    I'm willing to take that bet. How much you want to pay me?

Quote Originally Posted by thefuture View Post
    I'm willing to take that bet. How much you want to pay me?
    **** i don't have that much faith in him but i was right about norris cole before he even played in the NBA. I hyped him up so much for ROY and kemba

**** i don't have that much faith in him but i was right about norris cole before he even played in the NBA. I hyped him up so much for ROY and kemba
    You were dead wrong about Kemba. He was awful last year.

You were dead wrong about Kemba. He was awful last year.
    Cole was really bad, too, so I don't know what he is trying to brag about.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Cole was really bad, too, so I don't know what he is trying to brag about.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Come on! Cole had, like, that one good game or something.

Does this mean we shouldn't take your word for it?
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    The title seems as though it is fact, but the entire original post is opinion. Just pure speculation.

Last time I checked Norris Cole didn't win the ROY

Perhaps by mid to late season Rivers could be starting IF he transitions well to the NBA and shows he can set up team mates. Right now I think hes best suited to just be aggressive on offense with the second unit.

Thread Information