Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Davis vs. Garnett

Davis vs. Garnett

John Reid just tweeted this, and I know a lot of people have compared him to Garnett, but I really think this is who he will most likely compare to when all is said and done - perhaps with better defense as well.

Garnett (in high school): averaged 25.2 points, 18 rebounds,and 6.5 blocks.

Davis (in high school): averaged 32 points, 22 rebounds and 7 blocks.

We all know how Davis dominated the college game (hard to compare because Garnett jumped straight to the pros), so it's a little hard to compare in that way. Davis also did well with the Olympic team - something to think about (he has a head start on Garnett in that respect). I'm too young to remember Garnett's early days in the league, but I've also heard a lot of talk that Davis is Garnett meets Bill Russel (also too young to remember). I was hoping some of you may shed some light on the comparisons. Thanks.

I would love that, but that is just me
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

You know I was one of the ones making the comparison, so I agree.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

i just dont see davis having 30- 40 point games.. probably the best comparison though

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    I would love that, but that is just me
    vinny i saw you posting on espn on the monty article.. those people are ****ing idiots

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    vinny i saw you posting on espn on the monty article.. those people are ****ing idiots
    Yeah its embarrassing honestly, people are ****ing stupid, so I had to put my two cents in there

Garnett is slightly taller and has better offensive instincts but Davis is a much better athlete and has a more quiet demeanor with better defensive ability and that's where I think the Bill Russell comparisons come into play. Offensively Garnett and Davis have similar moves, they both often go to the quick fadeaway off the block, they both use quickness to blow by their defenders in the face up game and are threats to pull up in mid range. I think Davis will be the better player but I doubt he'll score like Garnett did.

Hopefully Davis gets a nasty post game like KG
    Twitter:SdotPaul504
    XboxLive:HHUxPresident
    Teams:New Orleans Hornets(Pelicans) & Houston Texans

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    Garnett is slightly taller and has better offensive instincts but Davis is a much better athlete and has a more quiet demeanor with better defensive ability and that's where I think the Bill Russell comparisons come into play. Offensively Garnett and Davis have similar moves, they both often go to the quick fadeaway off the block, they both use quickness to blow by their defenders in the face up game and are threats to pull up in mid range. I think Davis will be the better player but I doubt he'll score like Garnett did.
    Uhhh... if Davis is near the same level defender Garnett used to be, he will be DPotY for like a decade straight. I would hold off on making that arguement for a while. I'm just hoping Davis will be something like a cross between Chandler and Ibaka on defense. Even that will be a high bar for him to reach.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    People could very well be underestimating Davis's offensive game. They assume that because he's slim he won't score in the post or that his jumper isn't there cuz he didn't shoot it very well in college percentage wise, and I can totally feel why.

But when I watch his games later in the season at Kentucky, and I see him shot hook shots with his left AND right hand. I see him in the Olympics pull a solid turnaround shot that misses short but was dead on, I see that 4 point play.

No telling just how good his offense can be, even right off the bat. Already shows a great shooting form. His release ain't as quick as you may like, but it's already quicker than Garnet's catapulting style.

So damn amped to see what Davis can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny6420 View Post
    Yeah its embarrassing honestly, people are ****ing stupid, so I had to put my two cents in there
    Wait, what? Oh, I gotta see this...

nothing wrong with high expectations, there weren't a lot of expectations for Irving look where he's at already. There hasn't been this kind of hype around a kid since Lebron and maybe Oden...

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    People could very well be underestimating Davis's offensive game. They assume that because he's slim he won't score in the post or that his jumper isn't there cuz he didn't shoot it very well in college percentage wise, and I can totally feel why.

But when I watch his games later in the season at Kentucky, and I see him shot hook shots with his left AND right hand. I see him in the Olympics pull a solid turnaround shot that misses short but was dead on, I see that 4 point play.

No telling just how good his offense can be, even right off the bat. Already shows a great shooting form. His release ain't as quick as you may like, but it's already quicker than Garnet's catapulting style.

So damn amped to see what Davis can do.

Wait, what? Oh, I gotta see this...
    Yeah.... its bad

In 2 years I see Davis as an 18 14 and 3 guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    In 2 years I see Davis as an 18 14 and 3 guy
    That would be pretty sweet. Im hoping Rivers can get to like 18 - 20 ppg, 5 - 7 apg, 40% 3p. That would be crucial

Hopefully we can get more of this intensity from aminu

Quote Originally Posted by SdotPaul504 View Post
    That would be pretty sweet. Im hoping Rivers can get to like 18 - 20 ppg, 5 - 7 apg, 40% 3p. That would be crucial
    And they thought I had high expectations from Davis... to be honest if Rivers averages 17 and 6 with moderate shooting numbers that'll be a lot more than I expected from him.

Not sure what I expect from Rivers. I fear something about him. I don't know what it is, but he makes me very wary for some reason and I can't explain it. I sense greatness and failure. He's wreathed in a lot of one of them. I don't know which is stronger.

No matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Not sure what I expect from Rivers. I fear something about him. I don't know what it is, but he makes me very wary for some reason and I can't explain it. I sense greatness and failure. He's wreathed in a lot of one of them. I don't know which is stronger.

No matter.
    Yoda is that you?

I'm literally watchin' the Red Letter Media Star Wars prequel reviews right now. So I'm kinda on a Star Wars tick right now.

So that clip is friggin' hilarious to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post

John Reid just tweeted this, and I know a lot of people have compared him to Garnett, but I really think this is who he will most likely compare to when all is said and done - perhaps with better defense as well.

Garnett (in high school): averaged 25.2 points, 18 rebounds,and 6.5 blocks.

Davis (in high school): averaged 32 points, 22 rebounds and 7 blocks.

We all know how Davis dominated the college game (hard to compare because Garnett jumped straight to the pros), so it's a little hard to compare in that way. Davis also did well with the Olympic team - something to think about (he has a head start on Garnett in that respect). I'm too young to remember Garnett's early days in the league, but I've also heard a lot of talk that Davis is Garnett meets Bill Russel (also too young to remember). I was hoping some of you may shed some light on the comparisons. Thanks.
    To be fair in High School, Davis played on a crappy team with no other good players and he played in a crappy division. Garnett probably played against better competition.
    HR Sim League Orlando Magic

PG: Luke Ridnour, Delonte West, Greg Minor

SG: Andre Iguodala, Mickael Pietrus

SF: Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Boris Diaw

PF: Charlie Villanueva, Ian Mahinimi, Amir Johnson

C: Eddy Curry, Mamadou Ndiaye, Adam Parada

I think Brandon Jennings is a decent projection for what Rivers could be at his best...something around 15-16 ppg, 4-5 apg, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    I think Brandon Jennings is a decent projection for what Rivers could be at his best...something around 15-16 ppg, 4-5 apg, etc.
    Rivers has better physical gifts than Jennings, so I think he could do a little better than that. Also, the whole defense thing.

And they thought I had high expectations from Davis... to be honest if Rivers averages 17 and 6 with moderate shooting numbers that'll be a lot more than I expected from him.
    That's why I said "hoping"! It's not like he cant do it. Do has all the tools to be that but I'm talking in the future after his development

Yoda is that you?
    lol I hope he can defend Durant at times and maybe one day beable to shut him down
    Ballin

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Rivers has better physical gifts than Jennings, so I think he could do a little better than that. Also, the whole defense thing.
    Fair points. I guess what I was also thinking but didn't state was I expect Rivers' fg% to be crazy low his first few years in the league. That made me think of volume scorers at the point, and that made me think of Jennings.

Thread Information