36 42.86%
  • Football

32 38.10%
  • Ride the fence and say both

16 19.05%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: B-Ball vs. Pigskin

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    For once, I agree with ^^^^^ on the NBA season. I definately think it needs to be shortened.

I like both, but I'm leaning towards football.

I think with the Saints winning the Super Bowl the way they did, while having a positive influence on the comunity after Katrina, it makes it hard to NOT be a "football town." However, I was a huge fan of Bird v Magic, and Knicks v Bulls in the 90's

I love the Hornets but I ******* hate the NBA (odd, I know). Can't stand the "star environment" they have setup.

So it's soccer, football, then Hornets for me.

Wait you hate the star environment of the NBA but you like Soccer... There's no salary cap in that whatsoever, 100% star environment.

On a permanent Holiday! Purple Haze's Avatar
    Football, both college and NFL have the edge for me, but I also love college and NBA basketball. I don't really rank them in the same catagory, though. The year just kind of moves from one to the other, and it's AWESOME.
    Wherehappens.

I know I'm going to offend people here by stating the facts: the Saints had a terrible history until 5 years ago when they finally put the pieces together. If New Orleans is a "football town", that has to be in large part due to LSU, correct?
    Old fan. Tired fan. I want to believe.

I'm pretty much with Patrick Jr. on this one. I grew up liking all sports with baseball being my primary passion, but I loved them all. Of course, I am likely much older than most here, since my heroes growing up were Mickey Mantle, Bill Russell and Roger Staubach.

Although I am originally from northeast Texas (Colt .45/Astros fan), I lived in Oklahoma City (the .89ers were an Astros farm team) for a while so I got to see Jim Wynn, Joe Morgan, Rusty Staub and others play minor league ball. I moved to St. Louis and enjoyed seeing Roger Maris, Lou Brock, Steve Carlton, Bob Gibson, Tim McCarver, and the other Cardinals win a couple of World Series in the 60s. In high school, we moved to Mississippi, where I went to school with a guy who would later play for the Braves, so thanks to him and TBS, I have followed the Braves ever since, going to spring training in Florida some years.

I grew up a Celtics fan as many who were young in the 60s were, and I enjoyed college basketball too (it was the days of Lew Alcindor and Elvin Hayes, of course). But I preferred the NBA to college. It was a smaller league then, so it was so easy to appreciate the skills of Jerry West, Walt Frazier, Wilt Chamberlain, etc., while hating their teams. My interest in the NBA waned through the years, until Bird and Magic rekindled my enjoyment of the pro game. I still enjoy the game, but it's not the same. The regular season is too long and the players, while skilled, just don't generate the passion in me the way they used to. I admit that my interest in the NBA increased when New Orleans got the Hornets, but I wasn't yet all in with the team. Call me a bandwagon fan if you like, but until Benson bought the team and I knew they would stay here, I didn't want to fully commit to them. I am hopeful that my appreciation of the Hornets/whatever they will soon be will follow a similar path that I took with the Saints.

I was always a college football fan growing up, especially Texas football, but my having lived in 11 states over the years, I picked up allegiances to a number of college programs. None of them match what I have experienced as a fan of the New Orleans Saints. Growing up a Cowboy fan (I know), I couldn't imagine pulling for another team. I started rooting for the Saints as my second team after moving to Mississippi in 1969, but my best friend in college went to Abramson and his influence led me to become a die hard Saints fan in the early 70s. Now no team or city holds my allegiance like New Orleans, especially since my mom moved to Kenner in the 80s.

I say all of this to convey that not every fan of a team comes to them the same way. I have lived all over the country, so I could just as easily been a fan of many different teams. I am a fan of the Saints and Hornets by choice, not birth or residence or family tradition. And you can be a huge fan of the Hornets and not have that take anything away from your support of the Saints and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Hysteria View Post
    I know I'm going to offend people here by stating the facts: the Saints had a terrible history until 5 years ago when they finally put the pieces together. If New Orleans is a "football town", that has to be in large part due to LSU, correct?
    No. The Saints "terrible" period ended with the arrival of Jim Mora and the Dome Patrol in 1986. Saints wouldnt see another losing season until 1994. Even before then, people loved their Saints.

You'd be surprised at how many New Orleanians hate Baton Rouge's LSU.

That being said, basketball has always had a place here and was never completely overshadowed by football. That was the point of this thread anyway.

I'd say a 50/50 split gives the tie to football on a basketball board

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    No. The Saints "terrible" period ended with the arrival of Jim Mora and the Dome Patrol in 1986. Saints wouldnt see another losing season until 1994. Even before then, people loved their Saints.

You'd be surprised at how many New Orleanians hate Baton Rouge's LSU.
    So being a "football town" is really about the Saints? I never would have guessed that.

So, who do New Orleans residents follow in college football if they don't back LSU?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    So being a "football town" is really about the Saints? I never would have guessed that.

So, who do New Orleans residents follow in college football if they don't back LSU?
    High school ball mostly.

Tulane has had their moments in football as recent as when Matt Forte and Mewelde Moore was there. I even remember going to Tulane games in the late 80s when they had Terrance Jones and Marc Zeno. That squad gave LSU trouble and might have beat them a few times...I think. Both Tulane and UNO had their moments in div. 1 basketball. The local talent usually goes out of state. Georgetown got most of it during their John Thompson run in the late 80s/early 90s. Colorado and Florida State used to mine the football talent until Nick Saban finally made inroads in New Orleans recruiting for LSU.

Even with success they don't get consistent support, so yeah...major college sports is a bit of a dead spot unless you don't mind our folks 80 miles northwest.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    Basketball is growing in popularity and football is dying in popularity both on global and local scales. But football is still more popular
    I agree with this mainly because the NFL has cannibalized its self the past 5 yrs. Overexposed and Overreported large market teams and players(Thanks ESPN) and just constant unnecessary coverage ad nauseum.

I also prefer the fact that in basketball you get to enjoy the players careers much longer and if you watch a team like the Lakers prime time you'll prob get to see Kobe play VS The NFL where the Saints vs Packers on MNF looks good on paper but you're one Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers injury away from that being a snoozer.

I can't stand when people have the mentality that because they like one thing they have to hate the other. Saints vs. LSU or Football vs. Basketball, even Rock vs. Hip Hop or NOLA vs. BR it's just silly to me.

Anyway, I grew up loving football and a huge Saints fan, even through the Ditka/Mora years, but I loved to play basketball even though I tried out all 4 years of HS and never made the team. I've started to follow hoops much more recently but football is still my preference. Also, football is undoubtedly king in the US of A. The guy above who said that football is slipping in popularity is delusional. 15,000 fans showed up to watch the Saints/Pats PRACTICE a couple weeks ago. It wasn't even a game, and stadiums sell out for games that don't count. How could you say that football has slipped in popularity? It's as popular as it ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post
    I can't stand when people have the mentality that because they like one thing they have to hate the other. Saints vs. LSU or Football vs. Basketball, even Rock vs. Hip Hop or NOLA vs. BR it's just silly to me.

Anyway, I grew up loving football and a huge Saints fan, even through the Ditka/Mora years, but I loved to play basketball even though I tried out all 4 years of HS and never made the team. I've started to follow hoops much more recently but football is still my preference. Also, football is undoubtedly king in the US of A. The guy above who said that football is slipping in popularity is delusional. 15,000 fans showed up to watch the Saints/Pats PRACTICE a couple weeks ago. It wasn't even a game, and stadiums sell out for games that don't count. How could you say that football has slipped in popularity? It's as popular as it ever was.
    Some people just may be narrow-minded perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    Wait you hate the star environment of the NBA but you like Soccer... There's no salary cap in that whatsoever, 100% star environment.
    I really can't stand the EPL, at all. Love internationallplay and follow Bundesliga and MLS.

But no. The NBA is the worst. The star treatment on fouls might be bad in the EPL but you'll never see a player running a team to the extent that NBA playrs do.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Nate View Post
    Some people just may be narrow-minded perhaps?
    If I like both fried chicken and baked chicken, but prefer the baked of given choice, does that make me narrow minded about the great chicken? Does it make people who hate to choose a hater on choice?

I ponder...

Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post

15,000 showing up to an open to the public practice between 2 of the NFL's premier team is not a good barometer for popularity imo you're talking about getting to see Drew Brees and Tom Brady on the same practice field.

The real and current problem for the NFL is people choosing to watch the games at home vs paying these ridiculous amounts to sit in a half empty state funded stadium and watch say a Jags game. Also you have teams constantly demanding new state funded stadiums such as the Rams who have had little to no success in almost a decade then you have teams like the Chargers who are usually successful yet can't sell out games and are also looking for a new stadium.

The NFL is undoubtably far and away the most popular sport in America but that stuff combined with rule changes in the last few years and soaring ticket cost + player discipline and most of all concern for concussion and injures are undoubtable hurting the game in terms of popularity. I do love the NFL but the game is not at its best right now even though it makes more money than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    If I like both fried chicken and baked chicken, but prefer the baked of given choice, does that make me narrow minded about the great chicken? Does it make people who hate to choose a hater on choice?

I ponder...
    Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker
    Doesn't say anything about liking both then choosing the one they prefer better?

Thread Information