Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Bynum a realistic option next year?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

Is Bynum a realistic option next year?

Its the off-season, and we are in between summer league and preseason, so bear with me for a second. I don't believe Bynum signed an extension when being traded to the 76ers, which means he will be an UFA next year. I don' know the exact numbers, but I think if used our team options on X, Warrick, and Aminu that we would have enough to sign him. And if that's not enough we also have the option on Lopez. I think getting Bynum while keeping our core guys (Davis, Rivers, Gordon, Anderson) we would be instant title contenders. What do you guys think?

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think Bynum is a good option for us. Hes immesely talented, but just a headcase IMO.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    Just thinking about that front court makes my pants moist.

Alot has obviously changed since the article was published, but here was Bynum's stance on the Hornets in February:

"I definitely don’t know what’s going on with the team, but I definitely don’t want to be there,’’ Bynum said.

Bynum also mistakenly made a reference about the Hornets possibly being under consideration for contraction.
    Given his personality and injury history, I'd say the odds are significantly stacked against Bynum coming to New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    Just thinking about that front court makes my pants moist.
    That's what I'm saying, if we could control the headcaseness (I 1 believe Monty can and 2 think Bynum has matured and it showed last year), think of not even offensively, but defensively a front court of Davis and Bynum. Damn that sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by mdaniel View Post
    Alot has obviously changed since the article was published, but here was Bynum's stance on the Hornets in February:
    That was before we had an owner, resigned Gordon, signed Anderson, got rid of bad contracts, drafted Davis and Rivers. Like you said a lot has changed, and with Benson, Demps and Monty, we clearly have a goal and a direction for the team. I think players will now start to want to be here instead of talking **** like the quote you posted.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 08-13-2012 at 08:14 PM.

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    I don't wanna go to work everyday but I do because of the paycheck I receive. I'm sure any player would consider playing in New Orleans for a max contract. You could do a lot worse..

Bynum will go to the team that pays him the most. Philly has the upper hand there since they can offer him more than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by mdaniel View Post

Given his personality and injury history, I'd say the odds are significantly stacked against Bynum coming to New Orleans.
    I'm still not sure why they even asked him that question, to be honest.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I bet his answer would be different, but I still don't like Bynum himself. If by some crazy set of circumstances he wound up here, I'd root for him to play well and all, but until then? Not really worrying about him.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    I don't wanna go to work everyday but I do because of the paycheck I receive. I'm sure any player would consider playing in New Orleans for a max contract. You could do a lot worse..
    But players have the upper hand in the league these days.

IT COULD HAPPEN!!!!!!

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I don't think he would fit into our future plans... But Bynum is the type of guy you adjust your plans for. I don't think its realistic, but I assure you Demps will explore all scenarios.
    @DanielVeuleman

I think long-term Davis and Anderson is the frontcourt we're gonna see.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I think long-term Davis and Anderson is the frontcourt we're gonna see.
    Yup, I've been thinking like this lately. I think Monty and Demps see Davis as a 4/5 kind of in the Tim Duncan type in the future after he puts on some weight. Anderson might be coming off the bench this year, but is set to start at the power in the future. Lopez is a stop gap starter that is on a cheap enough deal to come off the bench should he perform well, and if not its not guaranteed.

Demps the chess master is like 4 moves ahead.
    Last edited by Mr. West; 08-13-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Yup, I've been thinking like this lately. I think Monty and Demps see Davis as a 4/5 kind of in the Tim Duncan type in the future after he puts on some weight. Anderson will might be coming off the bench this year, but is set to start at the power in the future. Lopez is a stop gap starter that is on a cheap enough deal to come off the bench should he perform well, and if not its not guaranteed.

Demps the chess master is like 4 moves ahead.
    Also, I think SF is a bigger need long-term.

Plus, I envision Davis as a Chandler/Noah type of center with much more offense.

Agreed about SF. Hopefully Aminu, X or Miller steps up enough to be a decent starter in the league, though I wouldn't bet on it. Aminu's got the best shot.

i would never want to take anyone who would cheap shot someone as bad as he did to j.j. barrea when they got swept by the mavs

To answer the original question, no

It's been very slooooow on here the past couple of weeks, just trying to spark some kind of debate.

I think Demps felt Bynum would never come here.

He must have targeted Anderson before FA started. The Rivers pick makes alot of sense now since he did feel a need long-term at PG. There wasn't a SF available at that spot. With Davis, Anderson, and Gordon, the team didn't need Lamb, Leonard, Henson, etc at that spot.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bynum ends up staying in Philly. They are talented enough to be competitive, he's from the area and it seems to be the kinda fan base that could get excited about his head-case-iness.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    It's been very slooooow on here the past couple of weeks, just trying to spark some kind of debate.
    Then create a thread about signing Chris Paul

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Then create a thread about signing Chris Paul
    I just might do that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	4214

To the Chris Paul thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I think Demps felt Bynum would never come here.

He must have targeted Anderson before FA started. The Rivers pick makes alot of sense now since he did feel a need long-term at PG. There wasn't a SF available at that spot. With Davis, Anderson, and Gordon, the team didn't need Lamb, Leonard, Henson, etc at that spot.
    You could argue with his wingspan, Lamb is a swingman who could end up at SF. Wouldn't have been my pick, but in hindsight, might have been a better idea.

Thread Information