Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ESPN First Take Trade Deadline Edition

ESPN First Take Trade Deadline Edition

Editor's note: We are Going to be doing an interactive atricle where I will be playing Skip Bayless and Quialman will be Stephen A Smith. We will be having guest (Please PM me if you're interested) and would LOVE comments but we ask that you wait until AFTER the show! Thanks so much guys.

Quail and I have agreed to do this every Friday out if everyone likes the idea and people enjoy this.

I will be posting a first take schedule with bookings of other owners and topics beforehand. Really hope you guys enjoy it and we will certainly be discussing everyone including building teams very soon.
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 08-17-2012 at 12:37 PM.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75823_espnfirsttake_logo-large.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	4223

Dana Jacobson: Well, Good morning and welcome to another edition of First take where we embrace debate. I'm joined by the always eccentric Skip Bayless.

Name:	dana-jacobson-145787_thumb_140x180.jpeg 
Views:	286 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	4224

Skip: Eccentric? More like explosive because I’m about to IGNITE on the show today!

Dana Jacobson: And the always well-dressed Stephen A. Smith for our tradeabpalooza All-NBA dedicated show.

Stephen A.: Why thank you Dana, and I noticed you saved the best for last.

Name:	Bayless-never-worries-about-having-a-First-Take-DT164FCR-x-large.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	4225

Skip: Best? You’re Scottie Pippen and I’m Jordan. You’re good but we’re not even on the same level. I’m about to IGNITE about today’s topics and
    trades.

Name:	sasx-inset-community.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	4226

Stephen A.: Dana, wait, did you hear that? Sounds like the school bus and I’m the bus driver, Joker, and I’m about to take you to school. And don’t you ever, EVER talk good about the immortal, top 50 all-time player in Scottie Pippen, THE BEST perimeter defender this league has ever seen. That’s Just DISRESPECTFUL.

Dana Jacobson: Alright alright guys. Let’s get started on the first Topic: NBA Trades. Who are the biggest losers during the trade deadline so far, which
    is set to end very soon?

Skip Bayless: I’ll be the bigger person and let you go first.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar

Stephen A. Smith: Bigger man, I don't think that's ever been the case. But I digress. Let's jump into our first topic:

Biggest Losers in Trade-o-palooza

Stephen A. Smith: Biggest loser of all of these trades going on? I'm going to have go with the Rockets and for only one reason. RASHEED FREAKIN' WALLACE. He's a dominant power forward in the league only just turning 27. I would know; I sent him a birthday card last week. And then you go and trade him away for a bunch of expirings? I understand making cap space, but this is like trading your 10 year old child for 3 15-year old, 1-legged cats. Yeah, you can say he got 2 1st rounders, but look at the Raptors. They aren't getting worse. Those picks will essentially be 2nd rounders.

I can understand trading Mobley, but he probably could've gotten better deal than an expiring in Barry and the DEFENDING WORLD CHAMPION Dallas Mavericks 1st round pick, which is also essentially a 2nd rounder. I'm just at a lost.

Skip Bayless: I want you to listen up Stephen A. Smith. Because I know you’ve covered the NBA your whole journalistic career, but I’m about to go nuts on one team; and I CAN NOT BELIEVE you gave friend and Celtics GM: HornetsfaninKY an absolute PASS on this. The CLEAR loser in this trade deadline is the Boston Celtics for not making a move. The Celtics who despite making an absolute surge in the East, just lost Eddie Jones to a fractured skull. And Eddie, First Take wishes you a speedy recovery because you are the heart of that team. But it’s the Celtics GM who should be checked for a fractured skull for not making a move.

Name:	5513016629_2684c7e5fa.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	4227

Skip Bayless:
    Here we saw deals for the 2 position all throughout the league: Larry Hughes, Brent Barry, Desmond Mason, Cedric Ceballos, who the Bucks were trying to give away for a box of bruised bananas and CUTTINO MOBLEY who went for a Mavericks first; and nothing? Please explain to me, why a team like the Celtics who’s best player, Chris Webber is 28 years old wouldn’t get someone to just be a filler for the regular season and maybe a round of the playoffs to make a significant run with this aging core after trading Tony Delk in the offseason. Inexplicable and I’m going to be highly critical of this young GM’s Moves from here on out because he should have a very short leash

Stephen A Smith: First of all, HornetsFanInKY is a dear friend and the godfather to my first and second children and will be godfather to my third. Honey, love you. Prop those feet up and take it easy; I'll be home after I put Bayless back in his place. Anyway, back to the Celtics. The Celtics obviously feel comfortable playing Eddie House at 2-guard with Strickland and Tinsley manning the point. They don't need to make a move; they just want their young guard to step up. And he will. I believe in them.

On to our next topic:

BIGGEST WINNER OF TRADE-O-PALOOZA

Stephen A. Smith: Joining us for this segment of First Take, we have Chris Broussard.

Chris Broussard: Good morning, guys.

Stephen A. Smith: Morning, Chris. Chris will be sharing his opinion with us on the biggest winners.

The biggest trade, by far, was between the Wolves and the Lakers. And the winner of that deal (and of ALL the trades so far) is the Timberwolves. Yes, they moved the biggest, most dominant big man in the game. But the problem with the Wolves, with Shaq, they would have to wait at least a year or two more for young Spanish phenom Pau Gasol and defensive stud Shane Battier to come into their own. By then, Shaq will be 31 and probably looking to move on to greener and warmer pastures. Shaq Daddy is a close friend of mine; on the weekends, we chat on AOL Messenger and share stories about our favorite lattes. I know he doesn't like the cold weather up there and that he was looking to move on, etiher through trade or free agency.

So NolaHornets23 pulled the trigger. But in return... IN RETURN, they managed to score Stephon Marbury, who is ONLY 24 YEARS OLD AND BALLIN' BETTER THAN ANYONE. Even better than that high school kid LeBron James, who is going to be something special. Marbury is locked down for 3 more years after this season, and will be a centerpiece on this team. On top of Marbury, he got a veteran Center in Dale Davis who he can pair with Pau Gasol to defend that frontcourt. And quite possibly the biggest piece is the 2002 unprotected Milwaukee Bucks 1st round pick. The Bucks are in full rebuild mode, and their record this year is looking pretty bleak. Top 5 draft pick bleak. And the Wolves have that pick! Just imagine if you have a Pau Gasol and Amare Stoudemire or Yao Ming or Carlos Boozer. Ok, stop imagining and change your pants. Their future is THAT good.

Attachment 4229

Chris Broussard: Sources across the league close to me... next to my mother's number in my Contacts who I call randomly for Sim League updates say that the Lakers are the biggest winner here. They traded for Shaq and managed to keep Grant Hill and a lot of other pieces including two first rounds. Sources closer to me say that keeping one first rounder and Grant Hill who has been MVP caliber was pivotal to this deal. A source closest to me who actually sold me my car so he's an expert on deals... says that the Lakers would deal whole team though if asked nicely by Wizards GM janjanjan3 for Kobe Bryant and giggle like a school girl the whole way home. Bottom-line, the team that lands Shaq and keeps their MVP is my big winner at the trade deadline.

Skip Bayless: First off, if you honestly think Eddie House is going to be able to weather the storm against the likes of Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, Jerry Stackhouse, or Tracy McGrady who all will turn it up another level, then Stephen A. you need to be checked for a fractured skull as well.
    Skip Bayless: Now on to the topic at hand. I think a lot of people made good moves for their teams. You had the Detroit Pistons who are the biggest sleeper in the East filled huge needs. They filled a glaring weakness at the 3 spot, they got a center for the future, and bolstered their bench. They got ahold of Anthony Mason, one of the best rebounding forwards in the league, and Marc Jackson a really really good young Center to hold down the fort until Sabonis is back and a young Ron Artest who is an absolute Lion on defense to come off the bench.

Skip Bayless: I agree the Timberwolves brightened their future by creating cap flexibility by unloading Shaq and getting Stephon Marbury one of the best young point guards in the league, who I still he has a little “I” left in his team plan. And I think the Lakers made a huge splash by getting the best Center in the league and the most dominant force in the league while keeping the best Small Forward in the league, but I question who’s going to get the ball to them. I think the Lakers need to move Grant Hill to the point guard position and to get all of those defenders on the perimeter to lock down the leagues best scorers.

Name:	bayless_normal.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	4230

Skip Bayless: But the real winners in the trade deadline is the Toronto Raptors, and Stephen A. I think you’ll agree with me when I say this: That team is flat out scary now. They ended up getting Rasheed Wallace for 2 picks that meant nothing to them and solidified their front court. They now have, and Chris Broussard and Stephen A. hold on to your panties, Nick Van Exel who leads the league in assist, Jerry Stackhouse, Jamal Mashburn, and Rasheed Wallace. This team can weather an injury, unlike the Celtics, and can now stop teams down low and can blister them with their scoring. They have shooters, post players, defense. I want you to BOOK this.

Stephen A.: You’re going to do that ?

Skip Bayless:
    Yes, you heard me. Book that the Toronto Raptors will represent the East in the Finals. Over Tim Duncan who has NO help.

Dana Jacobson: There we have it, Skip Bayless Books the Raptors in the Finals. And Skip with some foreshadowing into our next topic. Who do we think is going to represent each Conference in the Finals. Stephen A.?
    Last edited by BallSoHard; 08-17-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Stephen A Smith: And Skip Bayless brought us to our next topic:

WHO'S GOING TO REPRESENT EACH CONFERENCE IN THE FINALS?

Stephen A Smith: Before the Timberwolves-Lakers trade, I would have picked the Mavericks to return to the Finals. But if the Lakers and Mavericks meet up in the playoffs, the Maverick's front court of Isaac Austin and Jamaal Magloire will get ravaged by my boy Shaq. I'm going to have to go with the Lakers to take the West.

For the East, it's a much closer race. But, and I know this doesn't happen often, I have to agree with Bayless on the Raptors winning the East.

Skip Bayless: Color me shocked, Stephen A. Color me shocked.

Stephen A Smith: NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG, SKIP. Watch for the Pistons to make a strong push, especially once they get Sabonis and Manning back from injury. That front court depth is scary good. SCARY. But don't sleep on Tim Duncan either. He puts the team on his back when they need it the most.

Skip Bayless: Wow, we have a First take benchmark, Stephen A and Skip Bayless agreed on something. Now, Stephen A., what makes First Take the most watched debate show on ESPN is the fact that we have bold opinions. So I’m going to call you out Stephen A. and that pick you just made was not very bold or a clear pick. You’re better than that.

Stephen A:
    Ok ok fair enough.

Skip Bayless: Now in the East you already know my pick: The Toronto Raptors. I think they will play the Bulls in the Easter Conference Finals. I really like what the Bulls did in the offseason grabbing Glenn Robinson while keeping Tracy McGrady, Raef LeFrenz, and Chris Mihm, but I think they fall to the Raptors because they don’t have a point guard. I think the Pistons will do well and give any of these teams a scare in the playoffs, but I’m not convinced they put it all together. There’s also the Wizards are constantly plagued with injuries for the last two seasons and have Kobe Bryant, the best 2 in the league and Brian Grant one of the better post players in the league, but I think they won’t be able to keep up with the Raptors explosive offense.

Skip Bayless: And the West, I am disappointed with you Stephen A. for falling for the Hollywood lights like all of the rest of the sheep out there. I’m going to take the San Antonio Spurs. While L.A. has gotten the spotlight by all of their trades, all San Antonio has done is compile the league’s best record to this point, for a second year and a row. Played stifling Defense with Scottie Pipper, Elden Campbell, Jason Kidd, and Larry Johnson. Now, with that defensive front court, they also THIRD in the league in scoring. Stephen A. they learned their lesson and will take the west.

Skip Bayless: Also. don’t count out the Sonics who despite have had a rough start only need to get hot for the playoffs. I have the Sonics beating the Mavericks in the playoffs to knock off the defending champs.

Dana Jacobson:
    And Who do you two have winning it all?

Skip Bayless: Well, Dana, that will be for the next show; because we’re out of time. Once again, we INVITE all people who we discuss on First take to come and defend themselves and debate. Have a great Weekend!

The end: Please feel to comment. I've had a great response so far about people wanting to join.

Also, we are taking suggestions on next week's topics. We may post one every Friday.

Damn i feel the hate for havin Duncan on my team

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    This was great! It should be every two or 3 days. I love it, really do.
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

Hall of Famer
    Shocked y'all didn't mention the Heat, they made some interesting moves.

Great idea.

HR Sim League

Bayless and Smith agreeing on something is bad for ratings. I guess when there is a team as good as the Raptors, you just have no choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

Oh the Heat came up. We'll have other episodes to discuss that

Stephen A. was wrong about the Mobley move. That was by far the best offer I got. He was a FA at the end of the year and didn't have much value.

The Rasheed trade is controversial. Still, I have an older team that has no cap room and no assets to acquire a legit SF. I tried to acquire Shareef and Big Dog by offering Brad Miller, Cuttino Mobley, 2001 1st and 2003 1st. That's the best I could do. I traded Cato and Brent Barry away because Mobley and Miller were younger and better this season. However, Rasheed got hurt, and my team in general underachieved. No way, I was going to win big with this group. It was time to blow it up and start over. I got two young players in Wally Z (who's better than any SF I've had before) and a young PF in Etan Thomas who will start as well. I got an expiring contract in Reeves and two future 1st. Who knows how good he Toronto will be in 2004. I was the 3rd seed in the West last year and this year my team with the same nucleus stunk. Plus, Wallace has been injury prone the last two seasons. He's not a franchise PF. He shoots a low FG%, turns the ball over and gets hurt alot. His injury cost me in the first round against the Lakers. I'm not saying its a great move for me, but its the best I could do to start over.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Save that for the show next week sir. We want to allow everyone a chance to defend themselves. We're not doing this to be ugly, we're doing it for strict entertainment in the fashion they deliver it. So I beg everyone to not take what we say personally because we allow your gm or star to defend their teams. These are just characters.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolinho View Post
    Damn i feel the hate for havin Duncan on my team
    Nah, it's just the fact that you're really no different from last season, while the Raptors have evolved into a legit threat, and the list of possible Western foes is even stronger, which isn't good considering you were swept last season.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Save that for the show next week sir. We want to allow everyone a chance to defend themselves. We're not doing this to be ugly, we're doing it for strict entertainment in the fashion they deliver it. So I beg everyone to not take what we say personally because we allow your gm or star to defend their teams. These are just characters.
    That's fine.

I also agree about Boston. I won't get into details, but Cassell and Mobley were mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Oh the Heat came up. We'll have other episodes to discuss that
    Tell me now!

Alright, that was great. Sorry I missed it. I would've totally guested as Bomani Jones if I would have been on earlier. Very entertaining. Fun read
    HR SIM LEAGUE: MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

Mod over at reddit.com/r/NOLAPelicans

This was amazing, great idea dudes.
    Twitter: @TheRealPaulyP
    PR Sim League (2006-07 Season)

Who's going to be jalen and destroy skip on a weekly basis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    That's fine.

I also agree about Boston. I won't get into details, but Cassell and Mobley were mentioned.
    I've already prepared my response, so I won't ruin anything or go into details either. But all of the Cassell stuff was prior to Eddie's injury, I deleted most of our PMs but Mobley was also traded shortly after I found out about Eddie's injury too.
    #FREEQUAIL

Geaux Hornets! Contributor PrepP's Avatar
    Love the concept and the idea of having other GM's as guest. I like to read the articles people write.Something reoccurring like this and the power rankings that BeeBall does make the league even more interesting and fun to participate in. I applaud the effort and time you guys put into it.

Thread Information