Pelicans Report

Thread: Making a case for... Paul Millsap

Question Making a case for... Paul Millsap

It's well-known that once Rashard Lewis' contract comes off the books in 12 months, then we'll have ample room to sign at least one more long-term piece via free-agency in 2013.

Call me a cynic, but I have a hard time seeing New Orleans luring a 'big star' to Louisiana any time soon- nothing to do with New Orleans itself, or the players (we're a much more attractive prospect than we were 12 months ago), but more in keeping with a long-term NBA trend. Stars- real difference makers- rarely sign for small-market teams as free agents. Small market teams can draft a star, they can trade for one if they have the assets, but it's exceedingly rare to see a star player land anywhere other than with the glamour teams in the big cities.

Thankfully, we've managed to draft one likely star (Davis), and trade for a player with star-quality (Gordon). Obviously, we hope that Rivers develops into something special, and I think it's more likely than not that we'll look to draft another piece in the lottery in 2013. What this means is that, given our cap flexibility, we can look to sign players who are not necessarily stars, but who are both productive and compliment the pieces (primarily Davis and Gordon) that we already have in place. Ryan Anderson was a good example of this kind of signing- he's not an All-Star, but a productive player in the right age-bracket with a skill-set that is valuable to us.

Some people have been speculating about the possibility that we might look to bring in a SF in 2013- it's certainly a position with a question mark right now. Josh Smith, Andre Igoudala and Luol Deng have been three of the names mentioned- all valuable players, however their availability and price remain large question marks. Trading for a player of this calibre might not be an option for us in the short term- we lack trade assets that we would actually be willing to part with (assuming Gordon, Anderson and Rivers remain part of the long-term plan).

One player who seems likely to be available come 2013 is Paul Millsap. At first glance, he would not seem a likely target for us- if we consider Davis and Anderson to be PFs, then signing someone like Millsap would seemingly be pointless. Appearances, however, might be deceiving..

The case for at least looking at Millsap goes something like this: he plays hard, and he produces, consistently. Utah drafted him in the second round, yet he came off the bench and produced. Carlos Boozer got injured, he stepped into their starting line-up and produced. After Boozer came back, Millsap went back to a 6th man role and produced again. Utah gave him a contract that many considered excessive- he just kept producing. The Jazz replaced Boozer with Al Jefferson- Millsap started along side him, and found a way to fit. They traded Deron Williams away, he kept putting up numbers. They introduced Derrick Favors to the rotation, and yet he managed to adapt and continue to find a way to contribute. It's worth noting that Utah have been a play-off team in 5 of his 6 seasons to date.

The guy is a low-maintenance, high energy, consistently productive player. He seems like a Dell/Monty kinda guy- team-first, selfless, quietly spoken, driven- hell, he even attended Louisiana Tech. He also fits the bill as a good, versatile, feasible FA signing, in the right price range ($8-10 million per season) and at the right age (27) for a small market team. There's another reason why thy this could be a feasible scenario in my mind- he actually has a skill set that could compliment Davis and Anderson..

If we're playing Monty's usual style- that is, slow pace with plenty of half-court sets- then Millsap could conceivably mesh with Davis, Anderson and the rest of the team. He scores in a variety of ways, and doesn't necessarily need the ball to be of value. He's effective on the pick and roll, and his shooting range easily extends to a pick and pop scenario. He hustles for offensive boards, finishes well in the paint and is even competent (not great, but competent) in putting the ball on the floor. His shooting range is decent enough to help maintain our spacing, with or without Anderson on the floor. Defensively he's certainly shown a capacity for quick hands (1.8 steals per game last season), and at the least can be relied upon to work hard and grab defensive rebounds. He's consistent, and is effective whether starting or coming off the bench. Given we have a shooting guard who can handle the ball and get into the paint, I don't see any reason why Davis, Anderson and Millsap couldn't co-exist together offensively- all three have decent shooting range and basketball IQ.

If we're looking to start contending in say 2014-15- that is, by Davis' third season- then I think a guy like Millsap could really help us. There are obviously counter-arguments- would his signing obviate the need for a SF?.. do we need to pay more attention the back-court?.. can Davis play a decent amount of time as a C?.. etc etc. In my eyes, he just seems like a Demps-type signing waiting to happen, given the high probability that he'll be available as a FA in 2013. He might lack cache, he may not seem like the obvious signing- but he sure as hell ticks a lot of small boxes. Thoughts?

Stats

2010-11- 17.3 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.4 spg, 53.4 FG%, 75.7 FT%, 34.3 mpg
    2011-12- 16.6 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 2.3 apg, 1.8 spg, 49.5 FG%, 79.2 FT%, 32.8 mpg

Highlights from his famous 46 point game against Miami in 2010-11, including several clutch baskets:

http://youtu.be/8jyv2avqHs4
    "I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 auto-gyro?"

I love to get Millsap but we gotta get a quick distributing point guard and a solid wing first

... on the other hand do we really need 3 pfs, I think just Anderson is enough, Millsap can play sf, but he's really a 4, Davis can play 5 but he's really a 4, if we go after a non star frontcourt guy i say it should be Pekovic, he would fit really well next to davis.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Before we got Ryan Anderson I'd be all over him. Only thing not to like is his height. However, I think its pretty obvious that DellMonty has our front court of the future set up as Anderson/Davis with Smiht coming off the bench for one or both. Milsap will command enough money that I would be very suprised if we go after him, even if he's a Louisiana guy.

Good read though man, keep up the good work.
    @DanielVeuleman

If he could play SF full-time, he would be perfect. However, he can't. Defensively Milsap/Anderson/Davis would struggle, but with Gordon and Rivers, the shooting ability of that lineup would be CRAZY!

milisap would be great, close to hometown Ruston la .....adding him will be PF overload.....he would be good at SF on some rotation but he only have a inside and short inside the paint game not to much outside shooting...otherwise not a good fit with present team setup....if the team is not winning this year , never know.....

Ruston isn't that close to NOLA. Wouldn't be a good fit here. We need a real SF. He's not that. Pass.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Ruston is more closer to NOLA than Salt Lake City UTAh

Quote Originally Posted by PLAY TO WIN View Post
    Ruston is more closer to NOLA than Salt Lake City UTAh
    And Millsap is still a PF. He's not needed here. The team needs a wing player at the 3. He's not that.

I agree.....need sf not much out there ....josh Howard, t. Mcgrady, Sam young, barbosa...not much out there this summer..players start to move around training camp...

I agree.....need sf not much out there ....josh Howard, t. Mcgrady, Sam young, barbosa...not much out there this summer..players start to move around training camp...
    I'm hoping next summer we can find a way to acquire a legit starting SF if Aminu doesn't show much improvement.

Not enough offense output from aminu ......he needs to give the hornet 15pts___5_8rbs to be effective

Not enough offense output from aminu ......he needs to give the hornet 15pts___5_8rbs to be effective
    He won't give 15 pts anytime soon. But with his defense and rebounding, 10 pts would be good if he shoots a good FG%. Unfortunately, I didn't see much improvement from him in the Olympics, especially with his perimeter shooting which is the easiet thing for him to improve on.

If we trade for a SF, i can easily see us going after Millsap. He would have to assume his 6th man roll, but i think he would for a title contention (hopefully) team in the future. (Jason Smith will probably be included in a trade for SF.)

Thread Information