Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can Harden Play SF?

They will amnesty Perkins if they really want to keep both he and Ibaka. I've read that is what they plan om doing to try and keep both he and Ibaka. I like Harden as a player, but he is a more of a combo shooting guard than anything. I don't see him leaving Oklahoma City. They would be crazy to not do anything and everything to keep him. It's hard to find a player of his caliber that is willing to come off the bench and let Durant and Westbrook do their thing without wanting to leave. I would rather a true small forward that's bigger than Harden, since Gordon is a smaller shooting guard at only 6'3". You almost need a bigger wing player for that reason. Not saying it couldn't work, but just not the ideal situation. Now if we could move Gordon and get Harden then yes I'd be all for adding him.

I would rather we swing a deal with the 76ers. They lost Elton Brand and our really thin at power forward. Send Jason Smith, Al Farouq Aminu, and a top 5 protected pick to Philly for Andre Iguodala. The only thing is that Jason Smith was drafted by them, so not sure they would want him back. They are thin at point guard too, but we don't have any to trade unfortunately. Jarrett Jack would come in handy for a deal like that. I still think we should of got something of more value for Jack. Smith, Aminu, & Jack for Iggy would be nice. Doubt it the first trade though, cause they would most likely want a good player close to Iggy. Having two 1st round picks though could possibly turn into a player close to him maybe. They better get something for him though, so closer to trade dead line would be better. H

James Harden
    Andre Iguodala

Both are very good players in their respective roles. However, I want to see the direction Al-Farouq Aminu takes offensively. If he can develop an offensive game I would stick with him and let him grow with our core group of players. We have nearly $14 million dollars of cap space coming to us next summer just by Rashad Lewis' buyout alone including other future transactions that will happen. Lets just see how our young players grow and develop.

*Keep an eye out on the Austin Daye rumors.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I think phx has upper hand if he can't stay with thunder

“I love it there,” Harden told Bickley. “My mom lives there still. So that’s definitely my second home as far as my comfort level and going to school there. But obviously, I’m with the Thunder right now and what we have is special.”

I think they will keep Harden over Ibaka if they had to. I would for sure.

Ibaka is long, athletic, and a good shot blocker, but otherwise he doesn't do much except hit open jumpers. He's pretty much useless in the half court. They need Harden much more than Ibaka. Ibaka doesn't give u much post offense or post defense. Harden is also the glue guy between Durant and Westbrook.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I think you are missing the point that they can't afford to keep him. From what I'm told, they have to trade either Harden or Ibaka, and I think Ibaka will stay because they need post players more than perimeter guys.

I don't think it will be a problem. So long as Gordon has his max contract, I think he's fine.

They don't have the money to keep him. We're talking about well over $80 million dollars worth of salary once they fill out the roster. Not even possible.

Dude, the point is I'm saying they choose Harden over Ibaka. Harden is the better player and considering both will be offered max or slightly below (Ibaka at least gets Batum money). They would more likely choose to keep Harden unless they got a good package in a trade for him. I'd throw up Rivers and a first rounder or if Rivers means that much to you guys, we take on Perkins and send them back the Lopez contract, just a first rounder, and a filler.

The Opinion Business Contributor gerryv's Avatar
    Harden does not get to the Ft line.You'd like your 3man to have a "get into the lane/rim game,however positions are not as defines as in the past.He is more of a 3baller that attack off the bounce guy. Decent handle,fair defensive quicks......he's the 'catch" guy off drive and kicks as he is more effective with space to crank his 3...We shall watch and see.
    1-What does not move is dead.What has speed,and mobilty has more possibilities,more life...quickness creates luck.

2- Your Defense is only as good as your HELP/ROTATING defenders.

3-Games are won while the ball is in the air.

4- You design your roster to win a 7 game series not a one game confrontation.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Harden averaged 6 FT attempts per game, and 6.8 per 36 minutes. He gets to the line just fine.

I don't think he'll hit the market though. I think OKC will extend him before the season ends. Ibaka will be gone before Harden is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Harden averaged 6 FT attempts per game, and 6.8 per 36 minutes. He gets to the line just fine.

I don't think he'll hit the market though. I think OKC will extend him before the season ends. Ibaka will be gone before Harden is.
    I agree. They let Ibaka go before Harden.

Quote Originally Posted by gerryv View Post
    Harden does not get to the Ft line.You'd like your 3man to have a "get into the lane/rim game,however positions are not as defines as in the past.He is more of a 3baller that attack off the bounce guy. Decent handle,fair defensive quicks......he's the 'catch" guy off drive and kicks as he is more effective with space to crank his 3...We shall watch and see.
    gerry,

i am dissapointed in your lack of knowledge on harden...he ranked 13th overall in the league in FT's attempted per game...he gets to the line A LOT

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I think Ibaka will stay because they need post players more than perimeter guys.
    If PJ3 pans out it certainly leaves Ibaka as the odd man out.

this is a dumb thread, we will never get Harden, end of story...plus he's only 6'5" which is even a little undersized for shooting guards so definitely not be able to guard big small forwards or even average sized

I know this thread is dead, but I say we do whatever it takes outside of Davis to get Harden, I mean this commercial has me sold. More personality than Gordon will ever have

Thats one of the funniest commercials i have ever seen!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    They cast Russell Westbrook as an *******.

Well done.

OKC will be able to afford he and Ibaka... they'll make it work. But to answer the question I think Harden CAN play the 3. Remember Monty doesn't have a 1, 2, 3-5... he has guards and bigs. Harden is big enough to play the 3, and he's quick enough as well.

See, it depends on your definition of "can he play the 3?" My definition of "positions" is the position you can guard. I feel like Harden can guard most of the 3s in this league, so I would say yes.

And it is possible to retain both Harden and Ibaka, but I don't think the owner will want to pay that much tax $. If they keep most of their roster in tact, including Perkins, they will have nearly $88 million on the books if they re-sign both Harden and Ibaka. If they amnesty Perkins (which will also cost the owner a lot of money), they will be around $80, but that is still a good bit over the tax... So, it is possible, but that is a big choice for the owner to make.

Thread Information