Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can Harden Play SF?

Can Harden Play SF?

I think he can. I've been watching him closely in the Olympics, and Coach K has been playing him heavily at the 3. I know, it's a different game, but not so much on the perimeter as it is in the post. Harden is definitely big enough to guard most NBA SFs - save Durant and LeBron, but nobody can guard them 1-1 anyway. He is an elite off-the-ball player, and he will fit in perfectly with Gordon and Rivers, who like the ball in their hands more. Harden is a great shooter and a great passer. He has crazy hops and a gigantic wingspan (over 6'10).

I think we go after him in FA next off season. He fits in perfectly with the age group we are going for, and we definitely have the cap space to do so. Since OKC has to choose between him and Ibaka, and since they already have 2 perimeter players and desperately need a post presence, I think Ibaka is the obvious choice. Do an S&T with OKC so that they get a little something in return for Harden, perhaps Henry and our 1st round pick? The trade can be quite lopsided because we are far enough under the cap to absorb his contract.

Harden will cost $13.668 million, assuming we sign him to the same max deal we signed Gordon to. Add in Gordon ($14.3 million), Anderson ($8.3 million), Davis ($5.4 million), Lopez ($5 million), Aminu ($3.7 million), JSmith ($2.5 million), Rivers ($2.3 million), and Vasquez ($2.15 million), and the total comes up to $57.3 million. That is under the projected $58-60 million dollar salary cap.

Roster

PG - Vasquez, Rivers
    SG - Gordon, Rivers
    SF - Harden, Aminu, Miller
    PF - Davis, Anderson, JSmith
    C - Anderson, Lopez, JSmith

Add a few vets to fill out the roster. We still have the MLE and the Bi-Annual I believe. Plus the veteran minimum.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 08-03-2012 at 11:40 PM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I like it if Gordon says he wants to leave, but I don't think harden is big enough for sf. I don't think he could defend the bigger sfs.

It would have to be a better deal than that, I wouldn't be hesitant to part with Rivers for him. I wouldn't worry about positions, Harden is such a playmaker, he could play the 1 if that is what we asked from him.

Not a bad idea. Im down for going after Harden.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Yeah I hope we go after him, Aminu can guard the bigger scoring SFs if we need him too, and Harden can come off the bench sometimes like he does for OKC and play SG, PG and SF

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    It would have to be a better deal than that, I wouldn't be hesitant to part with Rivers for him. I wouldn't worry about positions, Harden is such a playmaker, he could play the 1 if that is what we asked from him.
    Not really. RFAs don't command much on the open market in terms of return trade value - especially since OKC can't afford to keep him. They are forced to trade one, and we can give them a lot of cap space + a 21 year old lottery pick and a 1st round pick.

OKC won't get fair return for Harden. This is a pretty good offer, IMO. And yeah, Harden can play anywhere on the perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by rbow. View Post
    Yeah I hope we go after him, Aminu can guard the bigger scoring SFs if we need him too, and Harden can come off the bench sometimes like he does for OKC and play SG, PG and SF
    doubt he'd want a bench role, I think pg would be a good spot for him, not like Gordon is the same ballhog westbrook is.

Also this is a moot point because I'm pretty sure OKC would choose Harden if he would only bring back a first rounder. Unless it's an upper lottery one.
    Last edited by BeeBall Reasons; 08-04-2012 at 12:06 AM.

I like the idea, but I think there are other teams who could offer more and would be more desperate for a player like Harden.

Quote Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
    I like the idea, but I think there are other teams who could offer more and would be more desperate for a player like Harden.
    True, but it depends on what they want. We can give them cap space, which is at a premium in the NBA right now.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Charlotte probably throw the max, Jordan brand and let him become mayor of the city. Lol, seriously though I wouldn't mind him at all, our hustlers and good defenders will help with his lack of D kinda. Sometime he looked like me vs. Lebron or Wade, lol all in all I say he stay with OKC, idk how it will be done.
    2013-1014 is the season the Pelicans fanbase grows!!!!

I'm not that impressed with Harden.

I can't keep from fantasizing about Rivers, Gordon, and Harden taking turns attacking the basket possession after possession after possession. Man, that would be such a good team. There's going to be a lot of teams after him, however, and I fear that the Thunder won't be interested in trading him to a team in the same conference. Especially one like ours that is full of promise and talent. The package that you proposed sounds legitimate enough, but I just don't see the Thunder biting when there are other teams out there with more assets. And honestly, I'm not even sold on the Thunder letting Harden go in FA. Only time will tell. I'll keep dreaming in the meantime.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 08-04-2012 at 12:38 AM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Trell's Avatar
    Harden has great handles, awesome three pointer & jump shooter who can get to the hole, finish and draw fouls. Good offensively, Lil shaky on D

Oh, and just out of curiosity......how do you think Gordon's ego would take such a high-profile addition to the squad?

Or do you not foresee that as a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Oh, and just out of curiosity......how do you think Gordon's ego would take such a high-profile addition to the squad?

I don't think he would be mad openly, but I'm sure he'd be butt hurt behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    doubt he'd want a bench role, I think pg would be a good spot for him, not like Gordon is the same ballhog westbrook is.

Also this is a moot point because I'm pretty sure OKC would choose Harden if he would only bring back a first rounder. Unless it's an upper lottery one.
    I think you are missing the point that they can't afford to keep him. From what I'm told, they have to trade either Harden or Ibaka, and I think Ibaka will stay because they need post players more than perimeter guys.

I don't think it will be a problem. So long as Gordon has his max contract, I think he's fine.

I can't keep from fantasizing about Rivers, Gordon, and Harden taking turns attacking the basket possession after possession after possession. Man, that would be such a good team. There's going to be a lot of teams after him, however, and I fear that the Thunder won't be interested in trading him to a team in the same conference. Especially one like ours that is full of promise and talent. The package that you proposed sounds legitimate enough, but I just don't see the Thunder biting when there are other teams out there with more assets. And honestly, I'm not even sold on the Thunder letting Harden go in FA. Only time will tell. I'll keep dreaming in the meantime.
    They don't have the money to keep him. We're talking about well over $80 million dollars worth of salary once they fill out the roster. Not even possible.

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    Don't underestimate the Thunder's front office. What if they move Perkins? Can they afford both then?

Quote Originally Posted by NolaHornets23 View Post
    Don't underestimate the Thunder's front office. What if they move Perkins? Can they afford both then?
    How in the world are they going to move Perkins? His contract is horrible for his production. Plus, they would have to take on nearly equal value in a trade (no team with cap space is just going to take on Perkins. Their 1st round pick has no value at all. I can't see a way they move him with out taking back salary....

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    I think you are missing the point that they can't afford to keep him. From what I'm told, they have to trade either Harden or Ibaka, and I think Ibaka will stay because they need post players more than perimeter guys.

I don't think it will be a problem. So long as Gordon has his max contract, I think he's fine.

They don't have the money to keep him. We're talking about well over $80 million dollars worth of salary once they fill out the roster. Not even possible.
    They could always find a suitor for Perkins, and take on expiring contracts. Worse case scenario: they haven't used their amnesty. Combine that with Ibaka's salary coming off the books, and Harden is suddenly affordable. Granted, this type of decision would come down to whether they think Jones could play the 4, and their perception of how strong the center position is in the upcoming draft. It would take some maneuvering but retaining him isn't out of the question.

Then again, they've rebuilt through the draft once. They've got to believe they can do it again. What they decide to do next offseason can possibly change the landscape of the WC for at least the next couple of years.

Just thinking out loud here.

They could always find a suitor for Perkins, and take on expiring contracts. Worse case scenario: they haven't used their amnesty. Combine that with Ibaka's salary coming off the books, and Harden is suddenly affordable. Granted, this type of decision would come down to whether they think Jones could play the 4, and their perception of how strong the center position is in the upcoming draft. It would take some maneuvering but retaining him isn't out of the question.

Then again, they've rebuilt through the draft once. They've got to believe they can do it again. What they decide to do next offseason can possibly change the landscape of the WC for at least the next couple of years.

Just thinking out loud here.
    Didn't know they didn't use their amnesty yet. Still, I think they would have to choose between Ibaka and Harden. Even if they amnesty Perkins, they would still be around $75-80 million (depending on which options they pick up).

And yeah man, no prob. Keep thinking out loud haha. That's what I made the thread for.

Didn't know they didn't use their amnesty yet. Still, I think they would have to choose between Ibaka and Harden. Even if they amnesty Perkins, they would still be around $75-80 million (depending on which options they pick up).
    Oh, they definitely have to choose between them. I'm just insinuating that they may opt for Harden over Ibaka. I surely hope they don't. I think a strong argument can be made for retaining either player over the other.

Oh, they definitely have to choose between them. I'm just insinuating that they may opt for Harden over Ibaka. I surely hope they don't. I think a strong argument can be made for retaining either player over the other.
    Agreed. I just think that they need Ibaka because, if they let him go, they won't have anything even resembling a post game, and they won't have the cap space to bring another post player in - especially if they amnesty Perkins. Plus, Ibaka is one of the best defensive players in the league. Can't pass on that. JMO, of course.

CP3 has deceitful eyes ohnosono's Avatar
    How in the world are they going to move Perkins? His contract is horrible for his production. Plus, they would have to take on nearly equal value in a trade (no team with cap space is just going to take on Perkins. Their 1st round pick has no value at all. I can't see a way they move him with out taking back salary....
    How in the world did we move Okafor and Ariza in the same deal? There is always a team out there with enough cap space to make a really stupid move. It isn't likely but I wouldn't rule it out. I'm sure they're trying to figure out ways to keep both players, it won't be easy but it's not impossible.

Agreed. I just think that they need Ibaka because, if they let him go, they won't have anything even resembling a post game, and they won't have the cap space to bring another post player in - especially if they amnesty Perkins. Plus, Ibaka is one of the best defensive players in the league. Can't pass on that. JMO, of course.
    There's always the possibility PJ3 plays well enough to take over for Ibaka. If he shows some of that potential to be a difference maker they could easily opt to keep Harden over Ibaka.

Thread Information