Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: WWL Is the New Radio Home for the Hornets

I hope Gerry stays on the radio because I like having a radio guy that I can have a worthwhile conversation with about basketball.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Oh yeah, enjoy the time or two I've called in to him after a Hornets win.

GV probably showed this thread to them.

"Ya see?! Ya see?! Dose guys love me!"

Can someone (gerryv) explain how Gerry V even wound up here? I think he is an assest to the New Orleans sports community but he sticks out like a sore thumb. I'd assume he has plenty of connections and plenty of oppurtunties to work other places. Why New Orleans?

Quote Originally Posted by ARIZONA View Post
    How long will it take for those LSU idiots to start complaining that there being replaced and they only real sports team in the state. I can here it now where is my LSU basketball it's been replaced by those hornets. I hate Benson he owns everything. Just wait because you know it's coming the first LSU football has a conflict with a hornets game
    Don't worry, the 870 am reception isn't very good in Baton Rouge. For some reason it goes to Florida, but not 60 miles west.

Gerry V not retained. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Hey Gamebreaker, did Gerry f#%^ your wife or something? He is a top notch analyst, and to say anything otherwise is absurd
    GV is a closet Saints hater. Hopefully, he enjoys sucking at life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty D View Post
    Can someone (gerryv) explain how Gerry V even wound up here? I think he is an assest to the New Orleans sports community but he sticks out like a sore thumb. I'd assume he has plenty of connections and plenty of oppurtunties to work other places. Why New Orleans?
    I had always assumed he followed the team here from Charlotte.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Playing Devil's Advocate or going contrary to popular opinion =/= hater.

I thoroughly enjoyed how GV would challenge the popular homer outlooks of LSU, Saints, and Hornets controversies on his 106.1 show. He would give his unbiased outlook on the local sports issues. But some people don't respond well when their biases are challenged and take offense, so it's easy to see why he has an anti-fan base of sorts.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post

I thoroughly enjoyed how GV would challenge the popular homer outlooks of LSU, Saints, and Hornets controversies on his 106.1 show. He would give his unbiased outlook on the local sports issues. But some people don't respond well when their biases are challenged and take offense, so it's easy to see why he has an anti-fan base of sorts.
    I don't remember him challenging the Hornets (whether fans or management). The only thing I ever heard him "criticize" about the Hornets was our lack of "length and quicks." it got to the point that I tired of hearing it. I do remember him challenging the fan bases of LSU and the Saints, as well as management. I always felt he was soft on the Hornets. It just never say well with me.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post
    GV is a closet Saints hater. Hopefully, he enjoys sucking at life.
    Think you took a wrong turn at SR.com with that insightful commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by djpaul89 View Post

This is the better assessment. There's a reason that WWL has a couple of yo-yo's in Deke and Bobby covering the Saints: people don't want to be challenged or hear anything other than 'rah-rah go team, Saints are the best.' These are the same people whose opinion turns on a dime where one minute Gregg Williams is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the next he is persona non gratis because that is what the company line is now. Somewhere along the line criticism got confused with being a 'hater.'
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 08-07-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    I don't remember him challenging the Hornets (whether fans or management). The only thing I ever heard him "criticize" about the Hornets was our lack of "length and quicks." it got to the point that I tired of hearing it. I do remember him challenging the fan bases of LSU and the Saints, as well as management. I always felt he was soft on the Hornets. It just never say well with me.
    You're absolutely right...it was mostly LSU and the Saints that he would play that Devil's Advocate role but I lumped the Hornets in there anyway...forgive my slight laziness.

I wouldn't call it soft...seems like the Hornets haven't had the same juicy headliners as LSU and the Saints have had this year to really sound off on. I'm sure he had sharp insight on the Gordon and CP3 situations but I don't remember specifically what he may have said. And I'd like to say that the Hornets diehard base is much smaller than the other two to where our homers aren't as apparently vocal to stir up burning controversy. Just my $0.02, I could be off base here.

Thread Information