Pelicans Report

Thread: Would you take anyone over Anthony Davis???

Question Would you take anyone over Anthony Davis???

Im sure this story on Anthony Davis and Team USA was posted already, but it got me even more excited than I already was about this guy playing for the home team. The comments some of the best and most competitive basketball players in the world say about him, at 19, speaks volumes of the type of player this kid can become.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...lowout-tunisia

It also got me thinking... Would I take any player at 19 years old to come into the league recently, over a 19 year old Anthony Davis? The fact that the question is even a consideration makes me almost overly optimistic about the Hornets' future outlook, but all bias aside, my list is a very short one.

The only 19 year old prospects I would take over Davis are Shaquille O'neal and LeBron James... I Would have taken a look at Durant, and Dwight Howard but not a long look. Which 19 year-old prospects in recent league history, if ANY, would you take over Davis???

Quote Originally Posted by G5JeffMartin View Post
    Im sure this story on Anthony Davis and Team USA was posted already, but it got me even more excited than I already was about this guy playing for the home team. The comments some of the best and most competitive basketball players in the world say about him, at 19, speaks volumes of the type of player this kid can become.

It also got me thinking... Would I take any player at 19 years old to come into the league recently, over a 19 year old Anthony Davis? The fact that the question is even a consideration makes me almost overly optimistic about the Hornets' future outlook, but all bias aside, my list is a very short one.

The only 19 year old prospects I would take over Davis are Shaquille O'neal and LeBron James... I Would have taken a look at Durant, and Dwight Howard but not a long look. Which 19 year-old prospects in recent league history, if ANY, would you take over Davis???
    Derrick Rose lol
    Ballin

Quote Originally Posted by G5JeffMartin View Post

That's my list as well. However, Davis has a good deal of holes in his game offensively, Oden and Durant were more complete prospects. They would have both been given a look from me.

I would probably take Lebron, Durant, or O'Neil. Not much else though.

Would you take any other number one pick other than Davis in ALL of the drafts?

No one. If can escape the knee collector, he will be..... THE GREATEST!!!
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Since you said recently, we certainly can't speculate on players like Bird & Kareem (since neither played as freshman but both were incredibly dominant as sophomores).

LeBron is easy to pick at this point. However, he came out of high school and I don't think most thought he would truly be this good.

With that said, Shaq and LeBron aren't tough to pick over Davis at 19 because of their sheer athleticism, size, and skillsets.

I have another one though... Greg Oden.

As prospects, I would have taken Oden, Shaq, Lebron, and possibly Howard/Rose over him.

Not Durant because at 19 I didn't expect this kind of greatness from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughka View Post
    Not Durant because at 19 I didn't expect this kind of greatness from him.
    His college performance had me sold.

In the past ten years, Lebron. Oden, John Wall, and Howard would be close. Didn't love Rose, liked Durant almost as much as Oden. I just think Davis can be a transformative defensive player, and at his very worst he'll be a highly efficient garbage man ala Tyson Chandler, but his ceiling is All-Star on offense, all-timer on defense.

Not a single Kobe mention?

Quote Originally Posted by Razorpens View Post
    Derrick Rose lol
    no

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    no
    Worth a try

Quote Originally Posted by Razorpens View Post
    Worth a try
    Rose is awesome, good for 24 pt 7 ast but davis is a complete game modifier/changer, he will change basketball defensively

I would say Durant, Shaq and LeBron for certain. I didn't see Kobe for what he was at 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    Not a single Kobe mention?
    Or Garnett.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    I would say Durant, Shaq and LeBron for certain. I didn't see Kobe for what he was at 19.
    no one did.

he came into the nba at 17 and by 19 was averaging around 20ppg
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 08-02-2012 at 08:43 AM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I do recall someone saying Kobe's workout at that age, hell at 17 or so was one of the best workouts he'd seen EVER. I can't recall who said it, but it was some old guard coach that would hold water.

But yeah, people thought Kobe would be good...not 81 points in one game good. Not 5 championships good. No way.

If Davis can accomplish anywhere near that...joy wouldn't even begin to describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I do recall someone saying Kobe's workout at that age, hell at 17 or so was one of the best workouts he'd seen EVER. I can't recall who said it, but it was some old guard coach that would hold water.

But yeah, people thought Kobe would be good...not 81 points in one game good. Not 5 championships good. No way.

If Davis can accomplish anywhere near that...joy wouldn't even begin to describe it.
    Wasn't it Jerry West?

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    There we go. Though now I think his opinion might've become biased over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    There we go. Though now I think his opinion might've become biased over time.
    If we can't believe the logo, then who can we believe?

For those that may not know, West is the silouette on the NBA logo.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information