Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Backup 2 guard?

Backup 2 guard?

With our Centapocalypse now averted, we can now turn our attention to another position that may not be adequately addressed: Backup SG

This is more of a real problem made more apparent with X's horrible summer league play. We know Gordon will go down, question is when and how long. We can't slide Rivers to the 2 for too long because then we have absolutely no one to run the point when Vasquez needs to sit, plus it would hinder his PG development. X in the starting lineup would make me worried, and we would still be razor-thin at guard.

Willie Green jokes aside, who would you like as our backup 2? Or who you think is the most realistic option?
    Jrue dat

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Jannero Pargo?
    Sonny Weems !

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    I apologize if I did this, but I dont see any other threads specificaly tailored to this discussion.

Not on the front page at least lol

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    i dont think it is a need right now. we have 96 mins to give between gordon vasquez and rivers. of course this is all depending on health, but lets say gordon gets 35 mins, rivers gets 33 mins and vasquez gets 25 mins that is 93 mins out of 96. For 3-7mpg (minor injuries/foul trouble) X or even roberts could play the 2 for that small amount of time. it isnt a long term solution but it will do until either the next move demps makes or at most for the season.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 07-26-2012 at 10:44 AM.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    No joke here- Monty loved him some Willie Green, and he's a really good locker room guy. Not an awful backup 2, especially considering who's on the market.

Get ready for the Green Hornet!
    @DanielVeuleman

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I still think Willie Green is a strong possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    i dont think it is a need right now. we have 96 mins to give between gordon vasquez and rivers. of course this is all depending on health, but lets say gordon gets 35 mins, rivers gets 33 mins and vasquez gets 25 mins that is 93 mins out of 96. For 3-7mpg (minor injuries/foul trouble) X or even roberts could play the 2 for that small amount of time. it isnt a long term solution but it will do until either the next move demps makes or at most for the season.

yeah but what if Gordon goes down? are we then supposed to player rivers at sg the entire game.

it's a need imo I'm not comfortable with xavier henry in any way shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets05 View Post
    yeah but what if Gordon goes down? are we then supposed to player rivers at sg the entire game.

it's a need imo I'm not comfortable with xavier henry in any way shape or form.
    like i said my post was all based on players staying healthy. of course it would change. X would just see a bigger role at 2.

Are u assuming Rivers will get 20 minutes @ point and 10-12 minutes @the 2 ? I think Rivers sees very little time @ point ! I think Roberts get substantial play at POINT ! We definitely need a back-up 2 ! I really, really dont want to rely on X for any minutes !

Personally with henry after his summer league i think monty said hes gonna play some mins at the 3 but i wouldn't want him getting over 20 mpg under any circumstances.

I'd definitely deal with willie green tho so i hope we bring him in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets05 View Post
    Personally with henry after his summer league i think monty said hes gonna play some mins at the 3 but i wouldn't want him getting over 20 mpg under any circumstances.

I'd definitely deal with willie green tho so i hope we bring him in.
    Willie Green--Character guy--consumate veteran---can play PG, if needed---tough defender---leadership---& can actually attack the basket & shoot threes from time to time ! I BUY !

All-Star
    as long as its NOT Willie Green i'm cool lol

How come? he knows monty / the system

i say why not? he did solidly last season 44% from 3

It's not like we'd be asking him to have a huge role. Just to be the fill in guy if Gordons injuries come back up. If X's is gonna do time at the 3 we need a backup 2 for rivers in those games.

Tho my dream signing would be Brandon Rush i figure hes a lil out of our pricing range at this point.
    Last edited by Pelicans23; 07-26-2012 at 12:43 PM.

I would love to have Willie back. Did anyone else hear/see the talk about him possibly signing with the Clippers?

Quote Originally Posted by thechosenuno View Post
    I would love to have Willie back. Did anyone else hear/see the talk about him possibly signing with the Clippers?
    Man, how many people are they gonna have !

Please no more Willie Green, that chapter needs to be closed. Give me Jodie Meeks anyday over Willie Green or even Terrence Williams. We could probably get both for cheap right now, even though I heard Meeks is about to sign with an eastcoast team.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saintshornets23 View Post
    Please no more Willie Green, that chapter needs to be closed. Give me Jodie Meeks anyday over Willie Green or even Terrence Williams. We could probably get both for cheap right now, even though I heard Meeks is about to sign with an eastcoast team.
    Green over Williams, easily.

It would be great to bring Delfino, other possibilities may be Gee or Meeks.

"Gee is a restricted free agent after the Cavs extended him a $2.7 million offer last month. But Gee has received virtually no interest from other teams following a season in which he averaged 10.6 points and 5.1 rebounds in a career-high 63 games (31 starts)"
    http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumor...#ixzz21lwiTkvW
    "The greatest threat to the domination is the equality."

I would be down with Delfino.

i t lets say Gordon gets 35 mins, rivers gets 33 mins and Vasquez gets 25 mins .
    Do you really think that Rivers will get more minutes than Vasquez at PG? Did you follow SL. He is also injured, and it appears that Vasquez and Monty are now the best pals in the team (they where seating together in 2 of the SL game and one of the contributors of this forum that went to the game mentioned they never stopped talking all game long. I will be very surprised if Vasquez gets any less that 32 MPG as PG

Quote Originally Posted by morsatun View Post
    Do you really think that Rivers will get more minutes than Vasquez at PG? Did you follow SL. He is also injured, and it appears that Vasquez and Monty are now the best pals in the team (they where seating together in 2 of the SL game and one of the contributors of this forum that went to the game mentioned they never stopped talking all game long. I will be very surprised if Vasquez gets any less that 32 MPG as PG
    Where did I say anything about how many minutes rivers will get at PG?

Did you watch the hornets at all last year? On our 21 win team vasquez got 30mpg as a starter. Do you really think he is going to get more minutes on this team?
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 07-26-2012 at 07:37 PM.

These two would be great additions:
    brandon rush
    leandro barbosa

but willie green would be more realistic and really fits the bill.

I feel Mickael Pietrus would be our type. Dont want him though.

micheal redd could help our squad as a niche player.

ben uzoh could help us at PG

would yal be mad if they signed T Mac? josh howard?

On our 21 win team vasquez got 30mpg as a starter. Do you really think he is going to get more minutes on this team?
    I actually think he will have between 30 and 32 mpg, I know the team is better this year, but at the same time the team has less depth and Monty has more confidence on him. Of course it will greatly depend on how well he plays, but if he plays like last year with a few less TO I don't see him getting less minutes than last year when he started.

Thread Information