Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Predicted Western Conference Standings- 2012/13

I would like for us to get in the lottery one more year and pick BPA (other than a PF) then make a nice splash in the 2013 Free Agency. However, I think we're a 7th - 11th seed team barring injuries.

"Whoever drafts Anthony Davis will win 50 games next year," Larry Brown.

I didnt agree with this statement when he made it months ago, and I dont know if I do now.... But lets face it, Larry Brown has forgot more about basketball then ALL of us on here combined will ever know. Are we all underestimating the impact that his defense will have defending weak side plays, effecting shots, etc.? I know we made alot of moves and have a young team coming together, but are Utah, GS, Minn, Port, and Denver really that much better than us? I am cautiously optimistic that this team could make the playoffs.

New Orleans went 6-3 in Eric Gordon's games played for New Orleans. In those nine games the Hornets averaged 95.7PPG, (giving the Hornets a differential of +2.3) which was a 6.1PPG increase on the teams scoring numbers without Gordon. If the Hornets had of played out the entire season, with Gordon having a similar impact on the offense (He averaged 20.6PPG) they would have finished with the 4th best points differential, sitting behind only San Antonio, Oklahoma City and the LA Clippers.
    -Hornetsreport Blog

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    I think you guys are sleeping on the hornets....ZZzzzzZZZZzzzz.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by phatcaz View Post
    -Hornetsreport Blog
    It's also worth noting that our other two best scorers of last season, Jack and Kaman, were out for a lot of those games that Gordon played, if I remember correctly (right?). So with some offensive talent other than Gordon, we may have more potential than we think.

I think the Hornets believe they will make the playoffs this season, if we wanted a high lottery pick, why sign Anderson? He makes us better. If Aminu and Gravy step up, and Gordon stays healthy, we could be very good. nothing less than 30 wins even if Gordon goes down. Ceiling 50 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    this
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

This song is dedicated to the world and sadly New Orleans Hornets own fans.

CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Why sleep on hornets so much.. Spurs won the championship after drafting Duncan.. so why cant we atleast make the playoffs? Jesus

Don't know how I missed that Lupe track...is it on one of the Fahrenheit mix tapes?

Also, I don't know what's wrong with tempering expectations. The one thing lacking on this team is experience. That's something they absolutely need if they're going to contend. I'm not sleeping on my team, I just don't want to get my hopes up. Ive bought into the slow build idea.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    the rest of the country is too, i say let them sleep. going to be fun watching everyone, including people on this forum, eat crow later this year.

The Franchise
    The Hornets will be the 8th seed in the 2012-13 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    Why sleep on hornets so much.. Spurs won the championship after drafting Duncan.. so why cant we atleast make the playoffs? Jesus
    Because there are 14 other teams in the conference and on paper some of them are very good. Tim Duncan was not a young 19 year old one and done rookie like Davis is. Rivers didn't look like he was ready to contribute at a high level this season based on Summer League so that makes the Hornets pretty thin at Guard. What happens if Gordon gets injured?

I don't think the Hornets need another lottery pick as much as they just need some seasoning for their young pieces. If they do make the playoffs this season it will either be because Davis is more beastly than expected and an All Star starter or All NBA 1st/2nd teamer in his rookie year or because everything went just right for the Hornets and very wrong for several teams ahead of them like the Warriors and Twolves. And those 2 are non playoff teams that are probably ahead of them, you'd need at least one playoff team to have a serious injury and fall off too.

The West does look really strong this year and I would say on paper there are 8-12 teams better than us,
    but I think a lot of people are underestimating the intensity this team played with at the end of last year.
    I remember giving playoff contending teams fits last year with scrubs and reserves...
    If Monty can get that same defensive intensity out of this group,
    (and no injuries so we have players who can win games on the offensive end in the fourth)
    like nba playoff basketball intensity, we will be a very difficult team to beat this season, in my opinion.
    &
    6th-9th seed I'll say. Monty wants to win this year.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by joetzeng View Post
    Hornets were 6-3 with Eric Gordon even there wasnt too much talent around him, with the addition of Anderson, Davis, and Rivers, I feel like the bar is set too low by some Hornets fans... I'm expecting 6-10 seed.
    You are SO right! I was thinking the exact same thing. We gave jus about every team their all before we fell apart in the 4th qtr. I believe in the hornets, and I strongly expect a playoff berth next season!!

For what it's worth, John Schuhmann has essentially put his prediction for 2012-13 under the guise of the 'Power Rankings' on NBA.com. He predicts the West as follows:

1. OKC
    2. LA Lakers
    3. San Antonio
    4. LA Clippers
    5. Memphis
    6. Dallas
    7. Minnesota
    8. Denver

9. Utah
    10. Golden State
    11. New Orleans
    12. Portland
    13. Phoenix
    14. Sacramento
    15. Houston

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/powerra...s=iref:nbahpt1
    Last edited by Attila The Hun; 08-07-2012 at 03:22 AM.
    "I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 auto-gyro?"

Quote Originally Posted by Attila The Hun View Post
    For what it's worth, John Schuhmann has essentially put his prediction for 2012-13 under the guise of the 'Power Rankings' on NBA.com. He predicts the West as follows:

1. OKC
    2. LA Lakers
    3. San Antonio
    4. LA Clippers
    5. Memphis
    8. Dallas
    7. Minnesota
    6. Denver

9. Utah
    10. Golden State
    11. New Orleans
    12. Portland