Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Smith: Lopez immediately becomes the team's starting center

Jimmy Smith: Lopez immediately becomes the team's starting center

Now that the New Orleans Hornets have filled the last glaring need on their roster, with Friday's acquisition of center Robin Lopez, along with forward Hakim Warrick from the Phoenix Suns in a three-team trade, general manager Dell Demps took a moment to reflect on his offseason handiwork.

"We wanted to fill the center position," Demps said. "We feel like Robin fits in with our time line; a young player that has experience in the league and will have an opportunity to come in and contribute and help us.

"We're pretty close to finished. We like the roster the way it is now. I'd say we're pretty close. I like the youth on the team and the upside and the potential to grow. I think we'll be a fun team to watch."

Procedural issues in making the trade compliant with the NBA and its collective bargaining agreement rules prevented consummation of the deal for the last two days.

The Hornets were able to divest themselves of Miller's contract – the center has announced his retirement – because the Hornets were under the salary cap when Miller's deal was acquired from the Timberwolves earlier this month, allowing the Hornets to aggregate Miller's contract into another trade.

...The hangup involved language in the new CBA, Demps said, involving cash transactions.

"To keep it simple, basically there's a rule regarding how teams can receive and accept cash payments. It's a new rule in the new collective bargaining agreement and it's the way it's interpreted. The interpretation of that rule is a little confusing. We had to make some changes because of that rule. I'd like to thank (Timberwolves GM) David Kahn and (Suns president) Lon Babby for sticking with it and we were able to come up with a solution to make it work."

....It has been reported the Hornets would sign Lopez to a three-year, $15 million contract. and he immediately becomes the team's starting center.
    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...oster_you.html

I told ya so to all the people saying Davis was going to be the starting C!

Banned
    So do you think Anderson will be the sixth man or will he start at the 3

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I told ya so to all the people saying Davis was going to be the starting C!
    Davis wouldn't have been the starting center, Anderson would have been. And that's exactly what we'd have seen if this deal had fallen apart and all the Hornets got was a Daryl Watkins Dleague type.

Sounds like speculation to me as we only have him as a center on the roster but someone mentioned on here monty plans to bring smith as a center also. I'd be fine with either myself tho.

As stated many times positions are overrated but this pretty much confirms that Davis will come in at the 4 and 5 with different rotations. The flexibility of this team is exciting but it will take Monty awhile to figure out the different rotations. As we saw last season he goes by trial and error do we have to be patient.

"I really leave the playing (positions) up to the coach," said Demps. "I think the way the NBA is now, he's got an opportunity to put guys out on the court and their individual talents are more important than actually the name of their position. I think it's something we'll have to figure out once we get into training camp. I think Monty does a great job of putting guys in position to be successful."
    Last edited by mdaniel; 07-27-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Speculation on Smiths part.

He may be starting Center (although not convinced) but he will not get starter minutes.

Starter embrace it
    SIGN A SF

Davis is better suited at the PF IMO.

U play the matchups..., u throw lopez at bynum, howard, perkins, etc. but if we played the heat i'd expect to see anderson start at the 5

The Franchise Contributor GeauxPelicans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post
    Speculation on Smiths part.

He may be starting Center (although not convinced) but he will not get starter minutes.
    U keep saying this, but what exactly do you consider starters min? I think he'll average 24 or so and play more than that against the few large teams left.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    U play the matchups..., u throw lopez at bynum, howard, perkins, etc. but if we played the heat i'd expect to see anderson start at the 5
    Davis won't have much problem with Perkins; he's just so bad at offense that it doesn't really matter who you put on him. Really, the only centers to be seriously concerned about are Howard, Bynum (like you said), and Bogut. Maybe Pekovic and Gortat could be an issue, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by mdaniel View Post
    "I really leave the playing (positions) up to the coach," said Demps. "I think the way the NBA is now, he's got an opportunity to put guys out on the court and their individual talents are more important that actually the name of their position. I think it's something we'll have to figure out once we get into training camp. I think Monty does a great job of putting guys in position to be successful."
    That was really in response to if Anderson would play SF or not.

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    Starter embrace it
    Thank you! They're was no way they were going to let Davis be the center. They had Jason Smith as their starting center before the deal. I think Ryan Anderson will play alot of minutes as the first big off the bench at the 4, 5, or sometimes 3. Just like how Rivers will be the first guard off the bench at either the one or two! Anderson will get his minutes whether he's starting at the 3 or coming off the bench!

I don't see the problem with starting Lopez. I'd rather Smith coming off the bench anyway to provide some scoring with the 2nd unit.

Quote Originally Posted by NO_Bound View Post
    So do you think Anderson will be the sixth man or will he start at the 3
    No. He'll be the 6th man. Anderson can't play the 3 full time. If he plays the 3 he'll be matched up against Lebron, Durant, and others like them. It just wouldn't be a good matchup for Anderson on a nightly basis.
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 07-27-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Davis won't have much problem with Perkins; he's just so bad at offense that it doesn't really matter who you put on him. Really, the only centers to be seriously concerned about are Howard, Bynum (like you said), and Bogut. Maybe Pekovic and Gortat could be an issue, but I doubt it.
    Davis is too small to be a center. Even Perkins would be tough for him right now. Perk will muscle him and shoot layups. AD has to beef up before we start talking about him playing at the center position. He has the ability to be a good center but I think PF should be the spot that he plays. AD is awesome in help side D. Let Lopez and Smitty take that pounding in the 5 slot and AD can patrol the lane.

what is the cap situation for us after this trade?
    if i'm doing the math correctly, looks like we are a few million over, with at least one more roster spot to fill
    correct me if i'm wrong with the numbers

Rashard Lewis- $13,765,000
    Eric Gordon- $13,688,750
    Ryan Anderson- $8,700,000
    Anthony Davis- $5,144,280
    Robin Lopez- $5,000,000 (estimated)
    Hakeim Warrick- $4,250,000
    Al-Farouq Aminu- $2,947,800
    Jason Smith- $2,500,000
    Xavier Henry- $2,323,200
    Austin Rivers- $1,865,300
    Greivis Vasquez- $1,191,240
    Lance Thomas- $762,195
    Last edited by opotowsky; 07-27-2012 at 06:53 PM.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I would like to say a very respectful "I TOLD YA SO!" to all of yall

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Davis is too small to be a center. Even Perkins would be tough for him right now. Perk will muscle him and shoot layups. AD has to beef up before we start talking about him playing at the center position. He has the ability to be a good center but I think PF should be the spot that he plays. AD is awesome in help side D. Let Lopez and Smitty take that pounding in the 5 slot and AD can patrol the lane.
    Perkins misses layups. And putbacks. And dunks. And basically any type of offense. He is Asik bad at getting points.

I believe that the Hornets will start their two best bigs every game. Right now, that is David and Anderson. If they go up against bruisers that can score, then Lopez will get subbed in earlier and play more minutes. He still won't start unless there is an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    Perkins misses layups. And putbacks. And dunks. And basically any type of offense. He is Asik bad at getting points.

I believe that the Hornets will start their two best bigs every game. Right now, that is David and Anderson. If they go up against bruisers that can score, then Lopez will get subbed in earlier and play more minutes. He still won't start unless there is an injury.
    How can Anderson play the five when his specialty is shotting threes? Someone please explain this to me.

Jed Collins is the saints starting fullback. He doesn't necessarily start every game (in fact, I don't know that he started more than 3 or 4). He gets less snaps than sproles, Ingram, lance Moore, who are not "starters.". However, he is still the saints "starting" fullback. Just like Lopez is the hornets "starting" center. Maybe we list our starting lineup as 3 forwards like Kentucky did. I can't wait for ppl to figure this dynamic out once the season. smh

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    How can Anderson play the five when his specialty is shotting threes? Someone please explain this to me.
    Why can't Davis play the 5 on offense and Anderson mans the 5 on defense? And you are getting too hung up on the position number.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    I would like to say a very respectful "I TOLD YA SO!" to all of yall
    Get in line buddy! I believe I was first to say it!

Thread Information