Pelicans Report

Thread: Some Hornets Operations Moving to Metairie

Some Hornets Operations Moving to Metairie

Not everything is over on Airline at this point, and I'm not sure what the plan is long term, but there is a shift of some personnel into Jefferson Parish.

While potentially expected, it being realized has consequences: This seems like circumstantial evidence that the practice facility will be out there. Put that with the ton of such evidence we've seen. There was a reasonable report of one downtown, but I haven't heard much on that lately. I still keep that in my mind, regardless.

You really think that the shift has to do more with trying to move something as big as the practice facility to Met?

I would think this is more along the lines of the multiple rolls of the Saints/Hornets brass being located in Met due to the Saints facility.

Wouldn't it make sense for the Hornets staff to remain downtown? I mean... those are his towers after all. And would seem to go along with his little master plan of the NOLA Sports Complex/Championship Square Paradise.

I'm just thinking logically here... no real info on the situation.

Vote Voodoo! Contributor Unknown Poster's Avatar
    It makes the most sense. And I don't keep bringing this up to be morbid but Tom Benson isn't immortal. Sooner rather than later Lauscha and Loomis are going to be the de facto owners of the Saints and Hornets. I think the evidence that 42 is talking about is that if the extreme top tier of management is going to be on Airline then it only makes sense for the practice facility, too. As far as tying it in to Champion's Square, I really don't see the Hornets practice facility as a big draw for visitors or tourism or whatever. In terms of player/staff convenience it isn't as if Metairie is as inaccessible/inconvenient as Westwego.
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 08-07-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    "Hornets means nothing." - Tom Benson

The New Orleans Hornets plan to move their business operations from Poydras Plaza in the central business district at the end of this month and operate from three separate locations, team officials confirmed Tuesday.

As a result, some of the Hornets' business staff will be moving to the nearby Benson Tower while others will work from a new downtown location that has not been disclosed yet. In addition, some Hornets' staff members will be housed at the Saints' Complex on Airline Drive in Metairie.

The basketball operations staff, however, will remain at the Alario Center.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...lanning_t.html

Sounds like the door is open for a downtown practice facility.

As I said, I see this as circumstantial evidence, but I do not discount the value of a downtown practice facility. Done correctly, it could be used for certain events if it's a state asset.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I cannot wait until the day we open a new Krewe/VooDoo/Arc(h) Angels/Rapiers/Reapers/Brass/Knights/Stallions facility. A violent part of me rages against the machine that we operate out of a glorified minor league arena like the Alario Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I cannot wait until the day we open a new Krewe/VooDoo/Arc(h) Angels/Rapiers/Reapers/Brass/Knights/Stallions facility. A violent part of me rages against the machine that we operate out of a glorified minor league arena like the Alario Center.
    It is very likely practice facility will be next to saints facility in metairie

Uh, well that's what is currently open to debate in this thread. There are snippets of evidence to support either possibility at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Done correctly, it could be used for certain events if it's a state asset.
    This I don't see. Although the state will put money towards I'm assuming it'll at least be half funded by Benson (depending on the cost). I mean... they don't let the state use the Saints practice facility for anything, do they?
    Last edited by Unknown Poster; 08-07-2012 at 08:21 PM.

They do not, not to my knowledge, despite it being a state asset.

I'm not thinking concerts, but perhaps support for NCAA tourney, etc.

Lets not kid ourselves here, the entirety of the Hornets operations will be based on Airline Drive with the next few years.

I may sound like a heel, by why should we as hornet fans care about what practice facility they practice in? Alario center is not that bad jeez.....
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I may sound like a heel, by why should we as hornet fans care about what practice facility they practice in? Alario center is not that bad jeez.....
    It's pretty bad when you compare it to some of the other practice facilities around the league.

Believe it or not, players like nice facilities. I don't know if the Hornets facility has turned off big named free agents or not but sometimes things like that play a factor in whether or not a player will sign with your franchise. Anyone remember Adrian Woj making fun of the Alario Center for being a place where they gave out government cheese?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It's all about improving the image of the organization. No more second rate, cheap stuff. This team is supposed to be going full major league. Which means a better practice facility too. Better broadcasts, better arena (not necessarily new but renovated), and better brand.

The new facility will be near the saints one, behind Zephyr Field. It's pretty much a lock at this point. I know for a fact there's been movement behind the scenes on that. I'd be completely shocked if it was downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Believe it or not, players like nice facilities. I don't know if the Hornets facility has turned off big named free agents or not but sometimes things like that play a factor in whether or not a player will sign with your franchise. Anyone remember Adrian Woj making fun of the Alario Center for being a place where they gave out government cheese?
    This. Sorry, but the Alario Center is an utter dump compared to most facilities and, as I already mentioned, horribly inconvenient to get to versus a trip downtown or a straight shot down Airline.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    They do not, not to my knowledge, despite it being a state asset.

I'm not thinking concerts, but perhaps support for NCAA tourney, etc.
    i agree with this.. it could be used for the all star events that were previously done in the convention center and the college all star events that were done in the alario center.

yes it is
    Formally known as WhoDatMan504

i think i can speak for some others and myself when i say the show of care towards the building is along the lines of player approval/ disapproval.. we want state-of-the-art facilities to show our players we care, and to lure potential free agents/rookies.. wouldn't you rather workout at globo gym rather than the local ymca?
    Last edited by bojangles837; 08-08-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Ok guys, I see what the point yall are making. Hope for the best for the Hornets!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    The new facility will be near the saints one, behind Zephyr Field. It's pretty much a lock at this point. I know for a fact there's been movement behind the scenes on that. I'd be completely shocked if it was downtown.
    Yeah, I thought that was almost a given.

Hornets will be building a practice facility next to the Saints facility. They will be in Alario Center as long as it takes to construct said practice facility. Business offices will be housed in new facility. Remember, Benson has a deal with the state that pays him a guaranteed % of occupancy rent for Benson Tower. Why would he want to cause that % to go up with his own people when he is assured of $ whether he has people in it or not?

I also speculate that said facility will have a hotel as part of it which I believe Benson coveted a few years ago for the empty property across from Saints practice.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Hell yeah, If i had a choice for a job that pays the same; You better believe i'll be picking the one with a state of the art facility and a nice office.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I'm guessing they're gonna 'doze the woods next to Zephyr Field and build it there?
    asdfghjkl;'

I have a close friend who is head of the design team for the practice facility. It will be at Airline Drive, with 2 courts, workout room, locker room, training room, Honeybee room (maybe we was kidding about that but they must practice somewhere)

Thread Information