Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Roster Taking Shape...What's left?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    A long-term lineup of Davis, Anderson, Iggy, Gordon, and Rivers could be staggering.

Iggy also improved his shooting this past season. A very good SF.
    I would honestly want AFA and his contract, along with potential, over Iggy's contract and age. Five years from now, I think AFA is the better player. Maybe sooner. But hey, I'm an optimist.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Quote Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
    I would honestly want AFA and his contract, along with potential, over Iggy's contract and age. Five years from now, I think AFA is the better player. Maybe sooner. But hey, I'm an optimist.
    I completely agree

No need to spend big at trade deadline. Gotta lot of cap flexibility next year with a good young core.

Quote Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
    No way AFA will ever be a better player than Iggy. Too many flaws offensively.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Definitely in need of a third PG, I believe the nets renounced their rights to Armon Johnson? Quick guard who has quite a lot of potential. Ish Smith fits that mold too...
    In terms of backup wings, Roger Mason has already been mentioned (we could do with a veteran locker room presence), Sam Young and Chris Douglas-Roberts may be options also... And dare I say, Michael Redd? Havent heard if he's be willing to play for a rebuilding team, but if so, he still has some scoring left in the tank

Looks like Willie Green off the board. Just got traded to the Clippers. Should make a play for Delfino, Meeks, or Mason as a backup 2 guard.

Slightly out of left field, but I wouldn't mind signing Mike Bibby for a year, purely from a veteran savvy/leadership point-of-view.

He could be a decent mentor for Rivers- whether he'd want to come is another matter altogether.
    "I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 auto-gyro?"

Amino proved in Olympics he is no starter. Start Anderson at the 3!!!

Hey guys, since Robert has already been invited to the camp, who else would invite?
    Personally, I would consider inviting Chris Johnson. Last season, he showed high energy coming off the bench, not much of a scoring threat down low but he is still young and is familiar with our system. He can be our 3rd C.
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

Chris Johnson would be an ideal 3rd C on our depth chart. He still has room to grow. However, I don't believe he'll be on our opening day roster.

Well we'll see but he would have finished the season with us he hadn't suffered that concussion.

Can you put up some of his stats?

Rookie
    Chris Andersen signing for the veterans minimum?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...en-to-vets-min
    Last edited by MAD-S; 08-04-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Here's Chris Johnson stats : http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chris_johnson/

Advanced stats : http://www.82games.com/1011/10POR15.HTM

I'm far from a stats expert, is it decent for a 3rd C ? I thought he played decently for us last season.

Quote Originally Posted by nmasri View Post
    Amino proved in Olympics he is no starter. Start Anderson at the 3!!!
    Agreed.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Aminu is not a starter based on how he played last season, but who else will start at the 3? Anderson? Maybe but that's not ideal either. But, if Aminu doesn't perform well in the preseason, then the team may not have a choice but to start Anderson at the 3 with Davis and Sideshow Bob at center.

Quote Originally Posted by Russy View Post
    Here's Chris Johnson stats : http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chris_johnson/

Advanced stats : http://www.82games.com/1011/10POR15.HTM

I'm far from a stats expert, is it decent for a 3rd C ? I thought he played decently for us last season.
    Yea i mean its not bad, but i couldn't see us taking him even though he's from LA just because we need more of a veteran presence down low. Someone for Anthony Davis.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    This is how the 9 man rotation is breaking down right now....

starters
    1 - Vasquez
    2 - Gordon
    3 - Aminu
    4 - Anderson
    5 - Davis

bench
    1 - Rivers
    2 - Mason Jr
    3 - ________
    4 - Smith
    5 - Lopez

I see Warrick/Miller/Henry competing for that 10th spot in the rotation. DNP for the summer league guys Robertson and Bowles.

Aminu is the only satisfactory player we have at the wing and he has not performed much beyond average in his career so far. Given this lineup, the Hornets could benefit from adding a veteran to play at the wing (unless Warrick/Henry/Miller emerge to be a reliable option at SF).

But even if they don't add anyone else, that is a pretty respectable team.
    Last edited by hornetsrebirth; 08-04-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    This is how the 9 man rotation is breaking down right now....

starters
    1 - Vasquez
    2 - Gordon
    3 - Aminu
    4 - Anderson
    5 - Davis

bench
    1 - Rivers
    2 - Mason Jr
    3 - ________
    4 - Smith
    5 - Lopez

I see Warrick/Miller/Henry competing for that 10th spot in the rotation. DNP for the summer league guys Robertson and Bowles.

Aminu is the only satisfactory player we have at the wing and he has not performed much beyond average in his career so far. Given this lineup, the Hornets could benefit from adding a veteran to play at the wing (unless Warrick/Henry/Miller emerge to be a reliable option at SF).

But even if they don't add anyone else, that is a pretty respectable team.
    You're wrong already.

Lopez is starting at Center and Anderson at the 3. That's at least how the year is starting off.

Barring some unforeseen change, Aminu will start the year on the Bench. He was the starting 3 until we swung the Lopez deal. Regardless, Lopez and Aminu get 20-25+ minutes a game. More than enough time to show what they have and contribute. Anderson, Davis, Gordon should all command 35+

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post
    You're wrong already.

Lopez is starting at Center and Anderson at the 3. That's at least how the year is starting off.

Barring some unforeseen change, Aminu will start the year on the Bench. He was the starting 3 until we swung the Lopez deal. Regardless, Lopez and Aminu get 20-25+ minutes a game. More than enough time to show what they have and contribute. Anderson, Davis, Gordon should all command 35+
    Anderson may very well fill in some minutes at 3 this year, but should spend most of his minutes at the 4 because that is where he's a natural fit and most effective.

If you have Davis, Lopez, and Anderson all starting, the bench rotation is going to be ugly, the paint will be vulnerable. But with Smith/Lopez as a front court combination for the second team, it's a strength.

Time will tell.

Watching Aminu today has me convinced that the SF position is up for grabs. He really hasn't improved much from last season. His perimeter jumper is still lacking. He's not comfortable with his ball-handling other than driving to the basket. Otherwise, he still looks down alot to make sure he doesn't lose the ball. He's also settling for a lot of jumpers.

If I'm Darius Miller, I'm shooting 1,000 jumpers everyday because the starting SF position is definitely not set in stone. Miller is battling a young player who can't shoot or dribble and still plays like a project (Aminu) and another player who hasn't shown anything so far and is constantly injured (Henry). He's actually older than both and has a bit of polish in his game. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he manages to beat out both guys for the starting spot. But, I could be wrong.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    Watching Aminu today has me convinced that the SF position is up for grabs. He really hasn't improved much from last season. His perimeter jumper is still lacking. He's not comfortable with his ball-handling other than driving to the basket. Otherwise, he still looks down alot to make sure he doesn't lose the ball. He's also settling for a lot of jumpers.
    I agree man. And I am a aminu supporter so that is hard for me to say. I think that if he doesnt show some sign of improvement by feb it's time to label him as a career backup or part ways with him. Same with X.

Let's be clear. Amino may start but he is not the short or long term answer at SF. Here is how I think it will play out.

Vasquez/Rivers/Roberts
    Gordon/Mason
    Aminu/Henry/Miller
    Davis/Anderson/Thomas/Warrick
    Lopez/Smith/Bowles

I see Anderson coming in mid 1st quarter to replace Aminu unless athletic wing on other team (Heat, Thunder, Grizzlies, 76ers). Second unit coming in at end of 1st quarter will be Rivers, Mason, and Smith. That will be main 9 man rotation with Thomas, Henry, and Warrick getting spot play. Decent lineup but will be better following year once clear cap space of Lewis, Warrick, Henry, Aminu, and Mason and add 2 more studs with the 24 million in cap space, likely at SF and C (unless Rivers struggles at PG).

they need to sign Hassan Whiteside and call it an offseason

lets not jump to conclusions on AFA from international basketball. it's a different game and he's on a team where he gets far more defensive attention than he will in the NBA. he also brings the ball up for them at times and plays sort of the "point-forward" role. not his game. hasn't gotten a real fair shot in playing solid minutes for a team, so this season will be vital for him

Thread Information