Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Smith: Lopez immediately becomes the team's starting center

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    It's all about how beneficial it is though.

What is the benefit of bringing Anderson off the bench?
    I have no real preference myself. Last year the one thing we needed in abundance was offense. Anderson gives us that. A healthy Gordon gives us that and so should Rivers.

No matter who begins the game, I'd bank money that we will finish a lot of games with Rivers, Gordon, Anderson, and Davis all on the court at the same time.

I can't see Anderson coming off the bench - part of the reason I felt he got less money than his production warrented is that teams feared his lack of defensive ability would be exposed away from Howard. Just so happens NOLA also has a rim-protecting force to protect him ... but that isn't the case if he's rotating with the two's, and offensively it's just as bad, as stated above.

I think we're more likely to see Davis start at the 3 than Anderson as the sixth man.

Edit to add: Although, if they do go the Randerson off the bench route, I suppose they could just start Davis and Lopez and quickly sub Anderson for Lopez in games where we can get away with Davis at the 5. Still think Anderson starts, though.
    Last edited by MonsterMash; 07-31-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I have no real preference myself. Last year the one thing we needed in abundance was offense. Anderson gives us that. A healthy Gordon gives us that and so should Rivers.

No matter who begins the game, I'd bank money that we will finish a lot of games with Rivers, Gordon, Anderson, and Davis all on the court at the same time.
    This! Gordon and Davis will lead our first team in scoring and Anderson and Rivers will be our scorers off the bench!

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Even though what you said seems sound strategically, I'm pretty sure you're just hung up on labels. Not starting isn't a big deal.
    It's a big deal when it doesn't benefit the team.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3forMVP View Post
    It's a big deal when it doesn't benefit the team.
    But he showed where he felt it did benefit the team, as did I, even though I was accused of putting too much emphasis on starting when I was advocating pairing players that fit best together.

To be more clear about things. Rivers can play at both guard positions and bring scoring off the bench. Anderson can play the 4, 5, and in some cases the 3 for match up purposes and bring in scoring and clear the lane his 3 pt shooting ability will bring bigs from under the rim which will open up lanes for Rivers and Gordon to drive.

What about the chances that AD doesn't even start to begin the season? Unlikely as that might be, Monty has said he doesn't want to put too much pressure on the young guys to start the season. Maybe AD comes off the bench, but still plays more minutes than Lopez, especially late in the game.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    But he showed where he felt it did benefit the team, as did I, even though I was accused of putting too much emphasis on starting when I was advocating pairing players that fit best together.
    No, I agree with you. Anderson needs to start because it benefits the team more than Lopez starting.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
    What about the chances that AD doesn't even start to begin the season? Unlikely as that might be, Monty has said he doesn't want to put too much pressure on the young guys to start the season. Maybe AD comes off the bench, but still plays more minutes than Lopez, especially late in the game.
    It's a possibility. But there's another way to interpret what Monty said. He won't put pressure on AD to start. But if AD comes into training camp, fresh off his experience with Team USA, and just flat out earns the right to start, then how can Monty deny him that? Just so AD doesn't feel any more pressure to succeed? He's got that in spades by virtue of being the consensus #1 overall pick.

The only thing that'll stop AD from starting, IMO, is if some kind of injury happened. God forbidding.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
    No way the most hyped NCAA player in the last decade doesn't start lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    How many quality centers would Anderson and Davis really have to guard? Outside of the obvious two, what else is really out there? An oft-injured Bogut who isn't nearly what he was 2-3 years ago? Gortat who relies on the pick and roll? Tired old Timmy? Who else am I missing?
    Cousins in sacramento & greg monroe

Even though what you said seems sound strategically, I'm pretty sure you're just hung up on labels. Not starting isn't a big deal.
    I'm a label kind of guy. I label everything. Food in the fridge, appliances, utensils, etc...

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Quote Originally Posted by glepurple View Post
    Cousins in sacramento & greg monroe
    Davis can guard those guys.

Davis can guard those guys.
    maybe monroe...but d cousins is poised to be the best center in the league in a couple seasons if his attitude stays solid. Also davis gives up a lot of bulk to him.

maybe monroe...but d cousins is poised to be the best center in the league in a couple seasons if his attitude stays solid. Also davis gives up a lot of bulk to him.
    That's a big if. Cousins is Derrick Coleman part 2 until he proves otherwise.

I'm a label kind of guy. I label everything. Food in the fridge, appliances, utensils, etc...
    That's cool, but perhaps you could change your labeled definition of "starter." Right now, it seems like your definition of starter demands that the player literally start the game. Instead, maybe you could look at it as a guy who plays the majority of the minutes at his position.

For example, Manu Ginobili has averaged 28 minutes per game over his career, but he has come off the bench. Would you say he has been a career backup? James Harden averaged over 31 minutes per game last year, and he certainly isn't a backup. If Vasquez starts at PG yet only averages 15 minutes per game, is he the starter?

Different perspective.

Especially considering the USA team wanted nothing to do with him because of his attitude and immaturity just a month ago during the tryouts.

when whestphal was fired...there was not any more reports of cousins acting out...and he is very productive. What's the difference between cousins and bynum at this moment beside nba experience. Dude is only 20 and is putting up 18 and 11. Dude is a problem and will only improve.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Especially considering the USA team wanted nothing to do with him because of his attitude and immaturity just a month ago during the tryouts.
    Their problem with cousins was fouling...i didn't see any of those vids of him scrimmaging against the team...but he talked to the coach and said he was just playing hard and didn't wanna give up anything easy and they came to an understanding. Also cousins is on the select team.
    Last edited by glepurple; 07-31-2012 at 01:11 PM.

If it was possible, I would trade Anderson for Cousins. Love watching him.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Their problem with cousins was fouling...i didn't see any of those vids of him scrimmaging against the team...but he talked to the coach and said he was just playing hard and didn't wanna give up anything easy and they came to an understanding. Also cousins is on the select team.
    This. Cousins really doesn't have an attitude problem, per say. The media are the ones that fuel those rumors more than anything. He did fine the rest of the year once Smart took over and he's going to have a nice career.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    If it was possible, I would trade Anderson for Cousins. Love watching him.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    We can only dream.

It's kind of like a Sacramento fan saying "If it was possible, I would trade Thornton for Davis."

Dude is only 20 and is putting up 18 and 11. Dude is a problem and will only improve.
    Derrick Coleman has career averages of 16.5/9.3 and he put up some 20/11 seasons early in his career. Cousins will be productive, but he until he gets his head on straight he'll still just tease the league with his talent. I do think the Kings drafting TRob could be pretty big. He's a good match for Cousins both in skills and personality.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    That's cool, but perhaps you could change your labeled definition of "starter." Right now, it seems like your definition of starter demands that the player literally start the game. Instead, maybe you could look at it as a guy who plays the majority of the minutes at his position.

For example, Manu Ginobili has averaged 28 minutes per game over his career, but he has come off the bench. Would you say he has been a career backup? James Harden averaged over 31 minutes per game last year, and he certainly isn't a backup. If Vasquez starts at PG yet only averages 15 minutes per game, is he the starter?

Different perspective.
    That's true, but comparing Manu and Harden to Anderson is different. Those guys can score and are scorers. Harden plays more off the ball, and while Manu can as well, he also creates alot of his own offense and provides a scoring punch.

Anderson isn't that guy. He benefits from other guys creating their own shots and in turn also makes guys like Gordon and Davis better by spreading the floor. Gordon needs Anderson on the floor as much as possible and in turn Anderson needs Gordon as much as possible.

People are concerned about starting Anderson with Davis because they feel Davis can't guard most centers in the league which is not the case. Now we have a few folks saying Demarcus Cousins will be the best center in the league just because he puts up good numbers now even though its a result of taking a bunch of shots. He's a very inefficient scorer who only shot 45% from the field which is terrible for a center.

Anyway, those who think Anderson should come off the bench are labeling Davis as a PF even though they are the ones accusing other posters of labeling players. The irony.

Cousins was productive because he took a lot of shots. Guy only shots 45% from the field. He's a very inefficient scorer on that team. His offensive rating was much lower than the team's overall offensive rating especially when compared to guys like Thornton, Thompson, and Thomas.

Thread Information