Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013/14 Free Agency

2013/14 Free Agency

Given the dramatic changes in our roster this offseason, just wanted to get yalls thoughts on who you'd like to see us target in 2013/14 FA. Too lazy to look up the exact figures, but my understanding is that we still have a fairly large amount of cap space, enough to sign an upper-mid or even max player. Of course it's obnoxiously early and we'll have to wait and see how the current roster gels to get an accurate idea--but speculating is fun and perhaps this forum's favorite past time.

Personally, if Rivers' performance at the point is discouraging enough, I'd like to see us go after a premeir point (uncomfortable cough... ). Also center, if the right guy is available, is an option.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    i saw we go after iggy (76ers will be looking to shed his contract bc of the new cap rules) or josh smith. i think either one of those guys makes us contenders. of course bearing the development of rivers and brow.

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    i saw we go after iggy (76ers will be looking to shed his contract bc of the new cap rules) or josh smith. i think either one of those guys makes us contenders. of course bearing the development of rivers and brow.
    I agree, depending on how the team performs this year, I would love to go after Iggy. I think he would be exactly the kind of player we would need to be a title contender at that point. (But we are getting way to far ahead of ourselves.)

Quote Originally Posted by pjk481 View Post
    I agree, depending on how the team performs this year, I would love to go after Iggy. I think he would be exactly the kind of player we would need to be a title contender at that point. (But we are getting way to far ahead of ourselves.)
    for sure. i am just focused on letting our younger guys develop this year while winning some games.

Rivers at PG is a project, so I'm expecting the worst from him during his first year.

Honestly, its all up in the air with how our young players develop. Should OKC not be able to keep Harden, and Gordon is proven to have his heart elsewhere and/or he is still injury prone (like only plays 10 games again) then we should offer the max to Harden and move Gordon for one of the top 4 picks in next years draft.

Just a contingency plan lol
    Jrue dat

I don't think we can afford Iggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola Hornet View Post
    I don't think we can afford Iggy.
    Money wise? or Asset-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Smow- View Post
    Money wise? or Asset-wise?
    Money wise in the open market.

Money wise in the open market.
    So we cant afford him, but Chris Paul is in the dicussion? Im confused lol

So we cant afford him, but Chris Paul is in the dicussion? Im confused lol
    Maybe you should direct your comments to the posters who made that statement.

Maybe you should direct your comments to the posters who made that statement.
    So lets say Iggy was a FA next summer:

1) Pretty sure Iggy wouldn't command a max
    2) We have the flexiblity to get the space necessary to sign a max player (Chris Paul)
    3) So how can we not afford him?

chris paul isnt coming back, why cant people get this in their heads

I think we need to see how this group of guys performs and how Rivers develops before we can really make a good judgement on what we need. It's basically a completely new team, especially since Gordon rarely played for us last year.

demps could make it work. im not worried about anything cap related anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles837 View Post
    chris paul isnt coming back, why cant people get this in their heads
    i dont want him back, but i dont think that is the point, the point is some have pointed out we COULD sign him next year if we wanted to, so why couldnt get be able to get a guy like iggy?

Demps: Salarycap? What salary cap? /trollface

lol

Well said RTB!

So lets say Iggy was a FA next summer:

1) Pretty sure Iggy wouldn't command a max
    2) We have the flexiblity to get the space necessary to sign a max player (Chris Paul)
    3) So how can we not afford him?
    He's not a free agent next year. He's a free agent the following year. And I believe that with the recent signings of Anderson and Lopez, we cannot sign Chris Paul. We can offer a max to a player like a Harden or Ibaka, but not Paul. And Iggy would be making around 15M a year. The problem is we don't have the pieces to trade for him without giving away too much talent. That's the problem with having a roster with no bad contracts. A good problem, however. But a problem nevertheless for situations like these.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    He's not a free agent next year. He's a free agent the following year. And I believe that with the recent signings of Anderson and Lopez, we cannot sign Chris Paul. We can offer a max to a player like a Harden or Ibaka, but not Paul. And Iggy would be making around 15M a year. The problem is we don't have the pieces to trade for him without giving away too much talent. That's the problem with having a roster with no bad contracts. A good problem, however. But a problem nevertheless for situations like these.
    i dont think it would take block buster caliber trade to get iggy, like i said before, next year the new lux tax rules are in effect. i think some people dont understand that or are seriously underestimating it. teams are going to be looking to move their bigger contracts. and if iggy says something like he wants out, i think it can happen.

i dont want him back, but i dont think that is the point, the point is some have pointed out we COULD sign him next year if we wanted to, so why couldnt get be able to get a guy like iggy?
    i know you are saying that but not the op

Given the young vet plan Dell is sticking to, the RFA PGs available (Curry, Jennings, Lawson) will certainly be intriguing options. I know the team has taken the stance that Rivers is the PG of the future, but I'm not sold they wouldn't slide him back over if the they were able to land the right player.

rivers
    gordon
    iggy
    anderson
    davis

sick

Tyreke Evans
    Would fit perfectly with Gordon. There would be no telling who would bring the ball down on each play. He could help compensate defensively for Gordon.
    They have given up on him and his confidence is down. but he's only 22 and will grow up.
    Two combo-guards who can dribble, score and pass = a PG and a SG

Josh Smith- would have us competing for a championship

Serge Ibaka- It is a beautiful thought I would love the move if it didnt work. We would be a defense nightmare for other clubs

Andrea Bargnani- He's probably a better fit than Ibaka.

Eric Bledsoe - Kentucky PG wanting to start

This team may be center-less but aminu, smith and davis could really hit the boards

Tyreke Evans
    Eric Gordon
    Al Farouq Aminu
    Anthony Davis
    Josh Smith
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 07-27-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Agreed. These are the two guys I'd like to persue next year.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    rivers
    gordon
    iggy
    anderson
    davis

sick
    Yes!

Thread Information