Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anderson starting SF?

Anderson starting SF?

Hello again everyone. ESPN Insider has said that Anderson could be our starting small forward. I have not read the article but someone summarized it for me. If Anderson is our starting small forward how do yall think it will work? I personally think Anderson can guard most small forwards, Monty and Dell keep saying that he has other skills he didnt show in Orlando. And when we play OKC, Miami, and the Celtics etc. we can start Aminu, move Anderson to the 4 and start Davis at the 5 because those teams don't have dominant centers anyway. I think its completely possible and Monty will do that. I expect Anderson to start every game this year.

So, lets say than Davis puts weight on next year, does Anderson move to the 4 and Davis to the 5 and Lopez to the Bench?

I saw that article, but im not sure if that is correct, i think he will play at the 3 often, but starting there, im not sure about that
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I dont think this needed another thread, but I do believe that davis will be primarily a center in at most a year. And I think what you said is correct. When Davis moves over to the 5 move Anderson as starting 4 and let Lopez come off the bench. I like Lopez starting and Anderson off the bench just this year.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 07-31-2012 at 05:37 PM.

I disagree because Anderson can guard SF, I know he can. Batum and stuff I think he can guard them. plus Lopez wont play a whole quarter so when he leaves Aminu will come in. I think that a little bit more than 1/4 of Anderson's minutes will be at SF

regardless of the fact that Anderson would be better off at either the 4 or the 5 than the 3, a Sf that can shoot means very little, A Powerforward that can shoot, changes everything.

Putting Anderson at the 3 role (whether you like positions or not) would just limit his potential. We want to get the best out of our players, and to do that, we want him coming off the bench as our 6th man, getting plenty of minutes. My opinion anyway.

Yea i guess i agree with yall on the potential thing but I hope he is our starting 4 and Lopez will come off the bench.

he'll play the 3 offensively and 4 or 5 defensively, positions are squat, look at lebron

Yes I believe he will play the 3 against teams that have centers that we do not want Davis or him guarding or teams that have small forwards we don't want him guarding. I could see home playing the 3 against Dallas, Orlando, Chicago, and the Lakers. I see him playing power forward and Davis at center against teams like Miami, San Antonio, Minnesota, Portland, and the Clippers. Then I could see him coming off the bench against Oklahoma City, Memphis, New York, and New Jersey. I think they see him as a slightly bigger better rebounding Peja that can play power forward in the pick and roll/pop.

It doesn't matter if he can guard the opposing team's small forward. The problem is it would be a bad thing if he was being guarded by a small forward. It is much easier for a SF to guard him than a PF. His value is pulling a big guy out to guard against his 3 point shooting to open things up.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    he'll play the 3 offensively and 4 or 5 defensively, positions are squat, look at lebron
    Please tell me that you're not comparing R. Anderson to Lebron James. Anderson is best suited to play the 4. I totally disagree that positions are squat. If that is true we should go and get a bunch of 2 guards that can score and run and gun the whoe game but it won't work because the other team will probably have a center and we couldn't rebound the ball. Lebron is a freak of nature not the norm. Also if positions didn't matter, we wouldn't have traded for Lopez. We could have let any big on the team play that role. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBall Reasons View Post
    regardless of the fact that Anderson would be better off at either the 4 or the 5 than the 3, a Sf that can shoot means very little, A Powerforward that can shoot, changes everything.
    Good post

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets2013 View Post
    Putting Anderson at the 3 role (whether you like positions or not) would just limit his potential. We want to get the best out of our players, and to do that, we want him coming off the bench as our 6th man, getting plenty of minutes. My opinion anyway.
    Also a good post

Starter
    On offense, he can be SF. On defense, he can be PF. For instance, when playing teams like Miami, Boston, OKC and etc. Davis can play the Lebrons, Pierces and Durants while Anderson can play the opposing PF. It would be like when the 76ers had Iverson and Eric Snow. Iverson played the SG on offense and the PG on defense because of size, speed and skill set. Snow played the opposing team's SG on defense and PG on offense because of size, speed and skill set.

Yeah that's cute ESPN is saying that Anderson COULD start at the 3, but what does Monty say? He and Demps have the ONLY say on how he wants to play him not ESPN!

mmaybe since we're thin there, but I think he should just come off the bench as PF and get spot minutes at SF and C

I watched every game of his for 3 years with the magic. I'm a huge fan of his, but the man is not a 3. He has very average lateral quickness, and doesn't have fast enough feet to guard most of the SF's in the league. His role is to be a floor spacing big man. As was said above, a PF who can shoot means a lot more than a SF that can shoot, because that is expected from a 3. A stretch 4 is useful as it throws out opposing defenses, and creates open looks for the shooter. Most NBA bigs are reluctant to chase guys off the 3pt line, it's not their role, or within most of their abilities. Also, Ryan's worst games always came against teams who played small ball against the magic. He got shutdown by athletic 3's almost always, as he just got run off the line, and his post game is still severely lacking.

People need to stop acting like Robin Lopez is some sort of saviour...

1) Robin Lopez is a scrub

2) I think there is definitely the opportunity to play a combination of Davis, Smith and Anderson at the forwards/centre. Davis has the athleticism to guard most 3s and offensively it would be pretty tough for oppositions to guard 3 guys who aren't far off a combined 21 feet tall who can all shoot. If even one of them has made strides in their post play (which from all account AD is working on almost exclusively, and you can imagine the other 2 guys are too) then that'd be extremely tough to guard. Having said that, I don't think that will be used necessarily every game or for extended minutes. I truly believe that will be the 4/5 rotation with Robin getting maybe 10 minutes a game too.

I think if we throw traditional thinking out the window and play our guys to their strengths then we can be a matchup nightmare for teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    I feel like I'm wasting my time compared to Sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLa. View Post
    I think Sound just upped the standards in the league.
    GM of the Year

The man just signed a 4 yr / $36 million contract to the worst team in the West record wise. Do you seriously think he will go to the bench? His ego would die. I'm sure moving him to the bench wasn't part of Dell's and Monty's plan when they discussed it with him.

He constantly praises the vision/pitch Dell sold to him. I doubt it included him on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanC View Post
    The man just signed a 4 yr / $36 million contract to the worst team in the West record wise. Do you seriously think he will go to the bench? His ego would die. I'm sure moving him to the bench wasn't part of Dell's and Monty's plan when they discussed it with him.

He constantly praises the vision/pitch Dell sold to him. I doubt it included him on the bench.
    THIS

Humor is reason gone mad Savagetaint's Avatar
    Anderson will most likely guard the most favorable low post matchup on the opposing team. He will be totally ineffective trying to guard out on the wing. I could see his role on offense being similar to that of Peja's. I think the problems he creates for opposing teams on offense will more than offset his defensive limitations.
    Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Please tell me that you're not comparing R. Anderson to Lebron James. Anderson is best suited to play the 4. I totally disagree that positions are squat. If that is true we should go and get a bunch of 2 guards that can score and run and gun the whoe game but it won't work because the other team will probably have a center and we couldn't rebound the ball. Lebron is a freak of nature not the norm. Also if positions didn't matter, we wouldn't have traded for Lopez. We could have let any big on the team play that role. Just my opinion.
    5 positions as in pg sg sf pf c don't matter. There's three positions in bball: ball handler, wing, and big. And teams usually play 1:2:2 ratio of those. Anderson is a big. The only wings he could guard are ones that really can't shoot and he can sag off them alot

Quote Originally Posted by StefanC View Post

Who cares if you come off the bench if you get starter minutes! I think he will have the same position he did before last year, but he will get starter minutes from his match-up problems. I'm sure Monty and Dell (who are known for their honesty and class) told him their intentions with him. He can provide scoring off the bench, and cause mismatches that will allow him to play his game (just like Lou Williams, Manu, and James Harden but in a big man position).

Thread Information