Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 Hornets Season Predictions (post Draft and FA period)

Question 2012-13 Hornets Season Predictions (post Draft and FA period)

With the majority of the off-season drafting, signing and trading having seemingly been completed by most teams (including our Hornets), we're probably in a better position now to make realistic predictions for the forthcoming season based on the current roster/s.

So, what do we expect from our overhauled and youthful New Orleans team in 2012-13?

Off the top of my head..
    IN- Davis, Rivers, D Miller, Anderson
    OUT- Okafor, Ariza, Kaman, Landry, Jack, Ayon, Bellinelli (?)

1) How many wins are you hoping for/realistically expecting ? (I'll plump for 30)

2) Where will we rank in the West? (I'll guess 12th).. feel free to expand on your predictions for the Western Conference in general, the movers and the sliders, etc..

3) The Hornet who will will open some eyes this season? (I'll gamble on Vasquez)

4) The Hornet under the most pressure to perform in 2012-13? (I hope it's Gordon)

5) What is the blueprint for Demps in 2013? Another solid piece added via the Lottery? A targeted FA signing? A mega-trade? A softly, softly approach?

6) Will New Orleans fall in love with this team?..

Plus any other predictions you may have- fire away!
    "I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 auto-gyro?"

Nice Thread

1) I hope we get around 40 W this season, assuming that EG stays healthy
    2) To me, we'll make the playoffs next year so I would says 10th seed. MIN, HOU, POR and PHX will rise, while UTA & DAL should fall a little bit.
    3) I expect a big season from The Enforcer. He has to start next season where he left off.
    Greivis told that he's super excited to play with our new players. He should definitely convince the league that he is a starting should I say "caliber" PG lol. He has to get around 10 AST a game with the Brow, The Silent assassin, Sub-Zero, Ryno and The Enforcer around him. I can see him as our new leader on the floor because his energy is contagious.
    Sub-zero will be ready by the beginning of the season to play the point behind Greivis. I expect him to shine and makes some big shots. Maybe some highlights with some nice crossover.
    The Brow... what can I say... He won't shock anybody on the defensive end since we know what he's able to do. I want to see him play PnR with GV and Sub-zero !!! Maybe a little bit of pick n pop. And obviously he will get his dunks on transition or alley oops.
    Aminu looks really solid in his games with the Nigerian team. I think, he'll be our starting 3 and will hit his potential. This is Aminu year !!!
    I'm a big fan of X I want him to succeed and be our back up wing, but what I'm seeing SL has been pretty ugly, despite the fact that he is drawing fouls. Having him playing with EG and Ryno we'll create some space and give him the opportunity to be an efficient role player.
    It goes the same for Miller, I really like the pick. He has a good mid range game, a NBA body and he's a hard worker. I hope he'll turn into a nice role player.
    Ryno should start at 4. Monty doesn't give his trust easily. Can't wait to finaly see NOH making some 3s, this is something that I miss.
    EG, a.k.a The Silent Assassin. He's back baby. He is coming at you D Wade !!!

4) EG, Greivis, X and Aminu have all something to prove !!! They will be under pressure. EG will handle the pressure in the 4th.

5) Predicting Dell's plan? I pass sorry. We need a 5 that can defend and be opportunist on offense. I'll bring in a young vet.

6) I don't know I'm from Paris. All my friends who are watch the NBA are already super excited by the Hornets and are almost becoming fans. I really don't see why New Orleans won't fall in love with this team !!! I hope NOLA will.
    "I go so hard, I go so mean... I'm so NEW ORLEANS" - Lil' Wayne
    "We not stopping at no stores man ! We staying on the gas !" - Tyreke Evans

I'm of the belief that it's better for the Hornets long term future if they get another high lottery pick next season to put next to Davis

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    1) How many wins are you hoping for/realistically expecting ? i dont know about # of wins, but i honestly think we can be the 6th-8th best team in the west. i think you are underrating this team, but that is a good thing sometimes

2) Where will we rank in the West? see above

3) The Hornet who will will open some eyes this season? It's obviously Davis, all eyes will be on him and i think he will impress

4) The Hornet under the most pressure to perform in 2012-13? I think gordon is under pressure to stay healthy, but not perform, when he is healthy he always performs. I think the player is X, monty loves him, so do i and a lot of other hornets fans, but he is the backup sg of this team and he has yet to put it all together. it seems like he is aggressive at times but hesitant at others. and lets remember he is only 21 years old, i think he will come around and be that 6th man we all think he can be

5) What is the blueprint for Demps in 2013? Another solid piece added via the Lottery? A targeted FA signing? A mega-trade? A softly, softly approach? The moves demps made this season is leading to next year. We have the opportunity to add another max player to our roster next year, i say we try to convince a big to sign here, put him next to Davis, and start our reign of contention

6) Will New Orleans fall in love with this team? Not a doubt in my mind. I was excited about seeing some of our young guys playing last year, we have way more talent on our roster this season.

AD wins ROY!!!!

rivers
    gordon
    aminu
    davis
    anderson

gonna be awesome to watch, rivers is a playmaker and shooter, gordon is an awesome slasher, aminus dunks, and putbacks will be awesome, davis will be incredible to watch, anderson will be fun watching him hit 3s

1) How many wins are you hoping for/realistically expecting?

Hmm, currently constructed, I think a record anywhere between 35 and 45 so I'll just go out and say 40. This is assuming that Gordon goes back to his efficient 2009/10 LAC campaign, Anderson retains some semblance of his production in Orl even without Howard, Davis proves to be a capable rookie - something along the impact of Irving last year, Rivers having a season similar to Westbrook's rookie season (15 pts, below 40% FG, maybe 36% 3PT%, 67% FT, almost a 1 AST/TO ratio) but playing occasionally good defense, and all the hold overs maintaining their production last year (which includes awesomeness from Vasquez, Smith, occasional awesome and ugly from Aminu, ugliness from Henry and bench production from Miller, Thomas and whoever)

2) Where will we rank in the West? (I'll guess 12th).. feel free to expand on your predictions for the Western Conference in general, the movers and the sliders, etc..

too early to tell, but if HOU gets Howard, Lin and Asik plus JRich and Big Baby while retaining Motiejunas and Parsons..

(1)OKC, (2) SAS, (3-6) LAL/HOU/LAC/MEM, (7-9) DEN/DAL/MIN, (10-11) UTH/NOH, POR, GS, SAC, PHX

3) The Hornet who will will open some eyes this season?
    Vasquez

4) The Hornet under the most pressure to perform in 2012-13?

Nobody. Monty and Dell have talked incessantly about expectations management.

5) What is the blueprint for Demps in 2013? Another solid piece added via the Lottery? A targeted FA signing? A mega-trade? A softly, softly approach?

I expect him to wait and see. You can't predict the chess master.

Without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Russy View Post
    Nice Thread

1) I hope we get around 40 W this season, assuming that EG stays healthy
    2) To me, we'll make the playoffs next year so I would says 10th seed. MIN, HOU, POR and PHX will rise, while UTA & DAL should fall a little bit.
    3) I expect a big season from The Enforcer. He has to start next season where he left off.
    Greivis told that he's super excited to play with our new players. He should definitely convince the league that he is a starting should I say "caliber" PG lol. He has to get around 10 AST a game with the Brow, The Silent assassin, Sub-Zero, Ryno and The Enforcer around him. I can see him as our new leader on the floor because his energy is contagious.
    Sub-zero will be ready by the beginning of the season to play the point behind Greivis. I expect him to shine and makes some big shots. Maybe some highlights with some nice crossover.
    The Brow... what can I say... He won't shock anybody on the defensive end since we know what he's able to do. I want to see him play PnR with GV and Sub-zero !!! Maybe a little bit of pick n pop. And obviously he will get his dunks on transition or alley oops.
    Aminu looks really solid in his games with the Nigerian team. I think, he'll be our starting 3 and will hit his potential. This is Aminu year !!!
    I'm a big fan of X I want him to succeed and be our back up wing, but what I'm seeing SL has been pretty ugly, despite the fact that he is drawing fouls. Having him playing with EG and Ryno we'll create some space and give him the opportunity to be an efficient role player.
    It goes the same for Miller, I really like the pick. He has a good mid range game, a NBA body and he's a hard worker. I hope he'll turn into a nice role player.
    Ryno should start at 4. Monty doesn't give his trust easily. Can't wait to finaly see NOH making some 3s, this is something that I miss.
    EG, a.k.a The Silent Assassin. He's back baby. He is coming at you D Wade !!!

4) EG, Greivis, X and Aminu have all something to prove !!! They will be under pressure. EG will handle the pressure in the 4th.

5) Predicting Dell's plan? I pass sorry. We need a 5 that can defend and be opportunist on offense. I'll bring in a young vet.

6) I don't know I'm from Paris. All my friends who are watch the NBA are already super excited by the Hornets and are almost becoming fans. I really don't see why New Orleans won't fall in love with this team !!! I hope NOLA will.
    Cant make the playoffs as a 10th seed.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    Cant make the playoffs as a 10th seed.
    I think he meant that he thinks we will make the playoffs next season, but he is predicting us to finish 10th this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    I think he meant that he thinks we will make the playoffs next season, but he is predicting us to finish 10th this year.
    Exactly, sorry bout that !

Quote Originally Posted by Russy View Post
    Exactly, sorry bout that !
    I understood ya bro lol

I expect us to be very surprising this year. This Eric Gordon fella has a huge impact on this team when playing, and he has never had a winning season in his NBA career. He's hungry for some wins.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    1) How many wins are you hoping for/realistically expecting? Healthy team? 45-37

2) Where will we rank in the West? Hard to say. I'll just say somewhere between 6-9

3) The Hornet who will will open some eyes this season? Greivis

4) The Hornet under the most pressure to perform in 2012-13? Eric Gordon

5) What is the blueprint for Demps in 2013? Another solid piece added via the Lottery? A targeted FA signing? A mega-trade? A softly, softly approach? Demps has a plan. What that plan is? Who knows, I don't even think Demps knows what he's going for yet.

6) Will New Orleans fall in love with this team? Sure.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    1) How many wins are you hoping for/realistically expecting? Healthy team: 47-35; Realistically: 40-42 (I expect to play .500+ ball at the end of the year though, but to struggle some out the gate)

2) Where will we rank in the West? 9th

3) The Hornet who will will open some eyes this season? Al Farouq Aminu will break the bust label and have his by far best year yet, but Greivis Vasquez will be in the running for MIP imo. Could see him averaging 12 and 7

4) The Hornet under the most pressure to perform in 2012-13? Xavier Henry. I don't think we pick up his option and it's really a make or break year for him. If he struggles again, I think he's out the NBA.

5) What is the blueprint for Demps in 2013? Another solid piece added via the Lottery? A targeted FA signing? A mega-trade? A softly, softly approach? He will sneakily trade for another Smith/Vasquez/Henry kind of player in October and I expect it to be another big. He's going to see how the season plays, see what the team needs, and see what his options are. For this season, I think the roster is pretty much set.

6) Will New Orleans fall in love with this team? Of course.

1) How many wins are you hoping for/realistically expecting ? Hornets will win between 45-49 games

2) Where will we rank in the West? Hornets will finish 7,8, or 9th in West

3) The Hornet who will will open some eyes this season? Eric Gordon, 2013 NBA All Star?

4) The Hornet under the most pressure to perform in 2012-13? Anthony Davis, he was the #1 pick

5) What is the blueprint for Demps in 2013? Either a veteran or young center/big man

6) Will New Orleans fall in love with this team? They better...I live in Illinois, and I love this team!

Plus any other: Hornets will win .650% of their home games, but just .300 of road.

this, of course, is presuming we will be relatively healthy

1) How many wins are you hoping for/realistically expecting ? (I'll plump for 30)

Seeing as last year's team projected at 25-30 wins last season (with a full 82 games, and taking into account their strong finish), I would be disappointed with any less than 40 wins. You can argue that losing vets like Kaman, Okafor, Ariza, Jack, Landry, etc. would negatively impact our short term success this season, I would counter argue that the amount of games they missed (129 games between those 5) mean that they didn't really affect us one way or another. You can also argue that there will be a massive upgrade at the 4, 5, & 2 positions, plus improved play from Vasquez and Aminu, who got most of the minutes last year in Jack & Ariza's absence, @ the 1 & 3. I also think that 2 of our biggest weaknesses last season (3pt shooting and FTA) will increase big time with Davis, Anderson, Gordon, and Rivers' additions. IMO by mid-season Rivers will emerge as a valuable weapon, either off the bench or as the starting PG. It really depends on how the schedule plays out. They may struggle out of the gate, but I believe they will finish the season strong.

I'd say anything between 6-10, more likely 8-10. OKC, LAL, LAC, SA are clearly the class of the West. Utah and Minnesota are young & talented, but also unproven. Dallas should be competetive, but will all of those old spare parts equal anything? If Houston gets Howard, they will be in the mix with GS, DEN & MEM as teams that really can't compete for a title but will be stuck somewhere in the middle. I'd say we are significantly better than HOU w/o Howard, Sacremento, Portland, Phoenix, so any worse than 10 would be disappointing.

3) The Hornet who will will open some eyes this season? (I'll gamble on Vasquez)

Aminu. I think he'll become a valuable wing defender and put up some great rebounding numbers from the 3 spot. I expect the lineup of Anderson, Davis, and Aminu to be one of the best rebounding frontcourts in the league, especially at the offensive end.

4) The Hornet under the most pressure to perform in 2012-13? (I hope it's Gordon)

Definitely Gordon. Max deal. Stupid comments. Fences to mend with fans. If he plays poorly, or even worse gets injured, the Hornets fans could stage some kind of coup d'etat.

I don't think Demps and Monty expect this group to be in the lottery. On paper their moves say otherwise, but they have no real tolerance for losing and will expect these guys to win. Mid 1st round pick, probably pick up a few assets with his cap space this season, then make a move on the RIGHT free agent (or free agents) next summer. Possibly a max deal for Ibaka? I don't know that OKC could match, It would take away from a rival, and w Ibaka & Davis at the 4/5 you could probably put Anderson at the 3 full time because it would be a season long block party in the Zat-arena.

I think they will, because they will be young & exciting to watch. I think most fans have some kind of tempered expectations. That being said, if Monty was able to squeeze out the effort w/ guys like Lance Thomas, Dejuan Summers, Squeaky Johnson, Jerome Dyson, Solomon Jones, Chris Johnson, etc playing minutes, there's no reason to believe he can't compete with the infusion of talent and development of guys like GV, AFA, & Jason Smith. I also still think they will add a few pieces down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    this, of course, is presuming we will be relatively healthy

Seeing as last year's team projected at 25-30 wins last season (with a full 82 games, and taking into account their strong finish), I would be disappointed with any less than 40 wins. You can argue that losing vets like Kaman, Okafor, Ariza, Jack, Landry, etc. would negatively impact our short term success this season, I would counter argue that the amount of games they missed (129 games between those 5) mean that they didn't really affect us one way or another. You can also argue that there will be a massive upgrade at the 4, 5, & 2 positions, plus improved play from Vasquez and Aminu, who got most of the minutes last year in Jack & Ariza's absence, @ the 1 & 3. I also think that 2 of our biggest weaknesses last season (3pt shooting and FTA) will increase big time with Davis, Anderson, Gordon, and Rivers' additions. IMO by mid-season Rivers will emerge as a valuable weapon, either off the bench or as the starting PG. It really depends on how the schedule plays out. They may struggle out of the gate, but I believe they will finish the season strong.

I'd say anything between 6-10, more likely 8-10. OKC, LAL, LAC, SA are clearly the class of the West. Utah and Minnesota are young & talented, but also unproven. Dallas should be competetive, but will all of those old spare parts equal anything? If Houston gets Howard, they will be in the mix with GS, DEN & MEM as teams that really can't compete for a title but will be stuck somewhere in the middle. I'd say we are significantly better than HOU w/o Howard, Sacremento, Portland, Phoenix, so any worse than 10 would be disappointing.

Aminu. I think he'll become a valuable wing defender and put up some great rebounding numbers from the 3 spot. I expect the lineup of Anderson, Davis, and Aminu to be one of the best rebounding frontcourts in the league, especially at the offensive end.

Definitely Gordon. Max deal. Stupid comments. Fences to mend with fans. If he plays poorly, or even worse gets injured, the Hornets fans could stage some kind of coup d'etat.

I don't think Demps and Monty expect this group to be in the lottery. On paper their moves say otherwise, but they have no real tolerance for losing and will expect these guys to win. Mid 1st round pick, probably pick up a few assets with his cap space this season, then make a move on the RIGHT free agent (or free agents) next summer. Possibly a max deal for Ibaka? I don't know that OKC could match, It would take away from a rival, and w Ibaka & Davis at the 4/5 you could probably put Anderson at the 3 full time because it would be a season long block party in the Zat-arena.

I think they will, because they will be young & exciting to watch. I think most fans have some kind of tempered expectations. That being said, if Monty was able to squeeze out the effort w/ guys like Lance Thomas, Dejuan Summers, Squeaky Johnson, Jerome Dyson, Solomon Jones, Chris Johnson, etc playing minutes, there's no reason to believe he can't compete with the infusion of talent and development of guys like GV, AFA, & Jason Smith. I also still think they will add a few pieces down the road.
    The Ibaka suggestion is really interesting. I think giving him a max might be a little extreme but if we throw in a poison pill year or 2 at the end of it to coincide with Durant and Westbrook's peak salary years that might work. Him and Davis would be scary on the defensive end and if Davis can improve offensively as much as everyone thinks he will they would be a great combo. I don't think you start Anderson at the three though if this (extremely unlikely) hypothetical happens. I would say bring him off the bench and give him 25-30 min a game in the post and sparingly at SF if necessary. He just doesn't have the defensive skills on the perimeter to match up with most of the 3s in the game. Overall though I think it is a very intriguing suggestion and I for one am on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    The Ibaka suggestion is really interesting. I think giving him a max might be a little extreme but if we throw in a poison pill year or 2 at the end of it to coincide with Durant and Westbrook's peak salary years that might work. Him and Davis would be scary on the defensive end and if Davis can improve offensively as much as everyone thinks he will they would be a great combo. I don't think you start Anderson at the three though if this (extremely unlikely) hypothetical happens. I would say bring him off the bench and give him 25-30 min a game in the post and sparingly at SF if necessary. He just doesn't have the defensive skills on the perimeter to match up with most of the 3s in the game. Overall though I think it is a very intriguing suggestion and I for one am on board.
    Yeah, looking at the 2013 FA class, I also think Ibaka makes the most sense to go after in regards to the bigger fish out there. While I also don't think he's worth a max contract, we've seen this free agency period that a players' value tends to fluctuate when there are multiple teams out to sign them. Most likely a max contract is what it is going to take to get him from OKC. Whether he's worth that is a debate for another day. But matching Ibaka with a hopefully more offensively polished AD is an intriguing scenario. I would think that with the addition of Perry Jones and the expiring contract of James Harden, the Thunder may have no choice but to let Ibaka go to the highest bidder and/or the team of his choice.

I also agree with your reluctance to slot Anderson at the 3 (if this was to all play out). Brining him off the bench would make more sense because of his inability to stick with 3s on D (as you pointed out).

Some other players that catch my interest (in no particular order) include Josh Smith (even though I don't think he'd be the best fit, probably will resign with ATL anyways), Millsap, Jefferson, Pekovic, T. Gibson, and Dorell Wright.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 07-18-2012 at 02:35 AM.

1) How many wins are you hoping for/realistically expecting ? (I'll plump for 30)- I would go 28-34

2) Where will we rank in the West? (I'll guess 12th).. feel free to expand on your predictions for the Western Conference in general, the movers and the sliders, etc..- I say we go 10th, we have an improved team.

3) The Hornet who will will open some eyes this season? I would go Aminu here, he can show he isn't a scrub

4) The Hornet under the most pressure to perform in 2012-13?- Anthony Davis just because he was the #1 pick

5) What is the blueprint for Demps in 2013? Another solid piece added via the Lottery? A targeted FA signing? A mega-trade? A softly, softly approach? Good role playing FAs in 2013

6) Will New Orleans fall in love with this team?.. I hope so
    New Orleans Pelicans-Seattle Seahawks-Atlanta Braves-Anaheim Ducks

RIP HunnyB

This fits HunnyB/FlyGirl so well- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzTiSEfM00

1) How many wins are you hoping for/realistically expecting ? 46 (surprising the NBA)

2) Where will we rank in the West? 7th

3) The Hornet who will will open some eyes this season? Davis

4) The Hornet under the most pressure to perform in 2012-13? Austin Rivers if he plays at PG

5) What is the blueprint for Demps in 2013? nice draft pick and a good FA

6) Will New Orleans fall in love with this team? surely

41. Don't have a vet pt guard or big bruiser in the middle.

8th seed. Get swept out of 1st round by OKC

Easily, Davis.

Gordon

Develop young talent. Develop Rivers into a good point guard.

Yes

I approve the Ibaka idea
    SIGN A SF

I think it is 100% dependent on Eric Gordon's games played. I expect the Hornets to win about 55% of the games he plays in, 25% of the games he does not. I will be optimistic today and say he plays in 70 games, therefore I expect the Hornets to win 39 of those 70 and 3 of the other 12. 42-40, good for 10th in the West.

I expect them to package the 11th pick with Aminu and some salary cap space to land a vet small forward like Gay, Deng, Granger, or Iggy next summer (as the lux tax penalties kick in and teams shed big contracts) and be a contender for a top 4 seed by 2014-15, if not 13-14.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think it is 100% dependent on Eric Gordon's games played. I expect the Hornets to win about 55% of the games he plays in, 25% of the games he does not. I will be optimistic today and say he plays in 70 games, therefore I expect the Hornets to win 39 of those 70 and 3 of the other 12. 42-40, good for 10th in the West.

I expect them to package the 11th pick with Aminu and some salary cap space to land a vet small forward like Gay, Deng, Granger, or Iggy next summer (as the lux tax penalties kick in and teams shed big contracts) and be a contender for a top 4 seed by 2014-15, if not 13-14.
    I can actually see this happening. Of those players, Iggy is my vote FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    I also agree with your reluctance to slot Anderson at the 3 (if this was to all play out). Brining him off the bench would make more sense because of his inability to stick with 3s on D (as you pointed out)..
    Believe me, if Peja Stojakovich can play the 3 for a decade and a half in the NBA, Ryan Anderson can: especially w/ Ibaka & Davis playing behind him. Most ppl on this board wanted Kendall Marshall - Ryan Anderson perimeter defense looks like Scotty Pippen compared to Kendall Marshall vs. starting PG's in this league. NBA is much more a team defense game, and when you have rim protectors like Davis & Ibaka on your front line, it makes up for a lot. There will not be an 8 million dollar player who cannot create his own shot coming off of the bench, or playing only "25-30 minutes" as someone else suggested. He's a core piece, a starter, a 36 min/game player, wherever he ends up playing.

Thread Information