Pelicans Report

Page 29 of 58 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast

Thread: [Official - trade complete] Hornets Trying to Land RFA Lopez from the Suns {merged}

I'm like meh. Lopez is good depth for us and 5 million a season is more than he's worth IMO, but far from God awful. I'm never a fan of over paying however as long as it's not anything grossly I won't complain. Not sure where/how Warrick factors in.

The Inbounds: A Hive In Construction; How to Protect Anthony Davis With Robin Lopez
    Matt Moore

Jul 25, 2012, 10:18 AM EDT

Hang on to your monitors, I’m going to get through the rest of this column without mentioning the busted CP3-to-the-Lakers trade. You ready? Break!

When the Hornets agreed to terms with the Suns and Wolves in a three-way trade Sunday night, it wasn’t anything that was going to be bust over Ichiro Hamel’s new deal A-Rod breaking his hand. It was a minor deal. But it was yet another example of what has become the modus operandi of Dell Demps this offseason. It’s an understated move with positional variability which sacrifices neither cap space or crucial assets.

Here’s how quickly these things shift. Had the Suns just recommitted the money to Robin Lopez, who has never established himself as the center Phoenix needs, but has consistently scraped the ceiling of legitimacy enough to keep people interested, it probably would have been panned. Now, the Hornets reached good value on Lopez at three-years, $15 million according to Yahoo Sports, but part of that value is inherently due to what a legit center means for New Orleans, versus what it means for Phoenix.

The Suns, with Marcin Gortat, didn’t need to overpay for Lopez. (After all, they’d already overpaid for Michael Beasley, badum-ching.) They needed a little extra money going forward and to dump Hakim Warrick‘s deal. It would have been a better move had they not already gone on a spending spree to try and remake the team immediately after Steve Nash‘s departure and been more patient, but moving dead money long-term for short-term dead money (Brad Miller‘s retired contract) isn’t a bad thing. It’s a good thing.

But the Hornets? They needed Lopez. They needed a center, and they needed to not overpay for a center. Lopez gives them everything they need. He’s a fill-in, a decent starter for a lottery team, a player who could surprise everyone and make the leap but if he doesn’t, you’re not drowning at that position. Long-term, there have to be upgrades at every spot but shooting guard and power forward for the Hornets. And that’s fine. They’ve got time. But the biggest key to next season for the Hornets is cohesiveness and the development of Anthony Davis.

Since the Hornets liquidated Emeka Okafor along with Trevor Ariza in the deal to clear cap space in a move for buyout-able Rashard Lewis, there has been talk about what it means for Davis’ positional future. Even in an NBA that is hurtling towards positional liquidity like the big-boned kid off the diving board, you can’t simply expect any player to be any position. They still have to have the ability to succeed at any given position’s set of requirements. In the case of center, Davis fails several smell tests. He’s incredibly long, but razor thin, it’s going to take years for his frame to catch up with his length, and there’s no guarantee that will happen at all, though muscle training will only make him more versatile and dangerous. I like to put this in perspective by saying that Michael Kidd Gilchrist has a substantial weight advantage on Davis. Think about that.

This isn’t to question Davis’ ability to succeed, far from it. We’re on the verge of seeing one of the truly most unique and impactful defensive players of the past ten years make his debut, I believe, and Davis’ talents can make up fora great many physical mass issues. But it’s crucial that the Hornets put him in a position to succeed right away, and depending on him to handle guys with considerably more muscle weight. It’s fine to speak to the lack of talent at the center position, but if you give a big guy the ball in the post with someone he can slam his shoulder into and create separation, there’s going to be scoring. More importantly, though, there’s going to be damage to the smaller player as the impact alone will wear on and injure a player like Davis having to play down in position to that degree.

It’s best put this way. The Lopez move, along with re-signing Jason Smith, adding Ryan Anderson and throwing in Hakim Warrick means that Davis won’t be slotted at the five, and will be best placed in a position to use his singular talents, as I always felt were best expressed here:
    {Mod edit- Please do not post full articles}

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...h-robin-lopez/

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    ^^^^ that article is written like the deal is already done. i havent seen anything concrete except the three teams are "working on"

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I'm like meh. Lopez is good depth for us and 5 million a season is more than he's worth IMO, but far from God awful. I'm never a fan of over paying however as long as it's not anything grossly I won't complain. Not sure where/how Warrick factors in.
    Totally agree. It's more than he's worth, but it's not an awful deal. Interesting to see how it affects next year's cap---the flexibility after that doesn't matter, as we'll then be operating over the cap.

If Warrick's deal didn't have a team option, I'd be livid.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    im tired of talking to people with reading comprehension problems. in the second sentence of my post i said "i would not be upset if that is the case", referring to anderson starting. and i never said i expect lopez to start 82 games a season. but he is more than capable of being a "spot starter" based on match-ups and injures. i havent taken anything you said seriously since i started posting here. have a good one.
    Reading comprehension problems? Ha!

You said in your post clear as day, you think the best starting lineup is Davis\Lopez. Now you are saying "spot starter" due to injuries or matchups. Sounds like to me that you are backtracking a bit.

I'm just saying that I think your crazy if you think Lopez should start over Anderson. Hell, he probably wouldn't start over Smith. He's a project at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRox View Post
    Asik as an awful offensive player as of right now...agreed. But he is MILES better than Lopez defensively and rebounding wise.

And Asik at least had offers from other teams, no other team other than the Hornets wanted Lopez
    Who else offered Asik that kind of ridiculous contract? He is certainly better defensively, but is he $10 million better? He signed for 3 years/$25 million compared to Lopez 3 years/$15 million (rumored). Houston could have kept Dragic and instead blew a ton of money on a guy they flat out cut last year.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post

You said in your post clear as day, you think the best starting lineup is Davis\Lopez. Now you are saying "spot starter" due to injuries or matchups. Sounds like to me that you are backtracking a bit.

I'm just saying that I think your crazy if you think Lopez should start over Anderson. Hell, he probably wouldn't start over Smith. He's a project at this point in time.
    yes reading comprehension problems, because in that post i didnt say those two would start together. i said my belief was that our best lineup is rivers, gordon, anderson, davis and lopez. best lineup, as in people on the floor together at the same time. your best 5 players that work best together do not always start. would manu not be in the spurs best lineup? i didnt say starting because i dont think rivers is going to start for us day 1. no didnt backtrack you just suck a reading.
    Last edited by RaisingTheBar; 07-25-2012 at 10:15 AM.

I think Warrick is just a throw in since it does not appear that we are giving up anything (Miller and 2 2nds is the rumor).

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    I think Warrick is just a throw in since it does not appear that we are giving up anything (Miller and 2 2nds is the rumor).
    I meant more or less fitting on the roster. I guess Hakim can play the 3 some. Right now we are super deep at the 4 Davis/Anderson/Smith/Warrick.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 07-25-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Funny, look who Draft Express had as his "worst case scenario" when evaluating Lopez-

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Robin-Lopez-1073/

I meant more or less fitting on the roster. I guess Hakim can play the 3 some. Right now we are super deep at the 4Davis/Anderson/Smith/Warrick.
    Yeah, maybe he can be an offensive 3 off the bench for limited minutes.

Ian Mahimi could have been a cheaper, better option for you guys imo. Having watched him in Dallas

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post

Why wouldnt Lopez, AD & Anderson start ! I find it whimsical that everyone has INKED Aminu as an AUTOMATIC starter ! He may not even be a Hornet for season opener !

Vasquez--Gordon---Anderson---Lopez & AD !

Rivers--Roberts--Miller---J.Smith & 2-3 more FA's (Aminu & Henry) May or may not still be here !

Ian Mahimi could have been a cheaper, better option for you guys imo. Having watched him in Dallas
    The guy Dallas traded weeks ago? You think that's an option?

What? Mahimi got a $16 million contract over 4 years but cost the Pacers Collison and Jones in the process. He is no better than Lopez and we are not giving up anywhere near the assets the Pacers gave up.

So, is the deal official? Or are they waiting for Lopez to pass a physical?
    the Legend has spoken!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam the Legend View Post
    Not official.

I agree with Matt Moore entirely on this. You need a big body in there so you don't stunt Davis' development.

But it’s important that Davis not be faced with covering for the roster issues of a team in a rebuild. The Hornets will have positional weakness, but they have to protect Davis from those. Some tough love is good for him. Breaking his spirit and body with a set of positional demands that put too much physical and emotional strain on him is not a good plan for development.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam the Legend View Post
    yeah he's on vacay and needs to come in and take the physical... THEN it'll be official.

The roster is shaping up nicely. Plus the money we'll have next offseason... great time to be a Hornets fan.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    The guy Dallas traded weeks ago? You think that's an option?
    If the Hornets had offered him a contract before he got traded then I think he would have been an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    What? Mahimi got a $16 million contract over 4 years but cost the Pacers Collison and Jones in the process. He is no better than Lopez and we are not giving up anywhere near the assets the Pacers gave up.
    I think NOH could have had Mahimi if they traded Jack and Henry for him.

Damn good time to be a hornets fan, the bandwagon will be full after this year do get on board now. The roster is looking much better than the last few years.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

If the Hornets had offered him a contract before he got traded then I think he would have been an option.

Not sure this is better. We basically got Lopez and an expiring for Jack. We'll see what happens with Henry.

Why didn't the Rockets go after Mahinmi?

Quote Originally Posted by nosfan1019 View Post
    I agree with Matt Moore entirely on this. You need a big body in there so you don't stunt Davis' development.

Testify.

Davis is a rare bird, to be handled with kid gloves- no competent team would allow their future star to get beaten to a pulp inside whilst he's still a teenager.

Hopefully he has 12-15 years with us, we're not competing this year. Giving Lopez 4-5 million for a couple of seasons to take the beatings in his stead is a form of short-term protection for a long-term investment.
    "I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 auto-gyro?"

Pure speculation and we are giving up less assets for Lopez. I am not convinced Mahimi is better than Lopez anyway.

Thread Information