Pelicans Report

Page 28 of 58 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast

Thread: [Official - trade complete] Hornets Trying to Land RFA Lopez from the Suns {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by phrazbit View Post
    Wes Johnson is awful and Miller will probably never play another game. The Suns are getting a 1st for helping out Minnesota with cap space. Thats it. If the Suns were not getting a 1st then there would be no motivation to help out either New Orleans or Minnesota in this situation.
    And you are an idiot. You are a puppet with some strangers hand in your rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I just read that Warrick's contract contains a team option for 2013-2014. If that's the case then he's basically an expiring contract.

Ok, so I went on HoopHype and its not a team option.
    Hoopshype is wrong. Shamsports disagrees, for instance.

I asked Suns people. They said it's $4m each year, team option on the last.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRox View Post
    Wow you guys are giving Robin Lopez $5M/yr over 3 years? Not sure if he's that good...I would have expected him to get at most about $3M cause he's a decent backup but that's about it.
    He could have gotten $4 million next season just by siging his QO. I think $5 million is fair for a young 7 footer. Didn't Houston just give over $8 million a year for Lin and Asik?

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    it seems like a theme in this thread is that because we are paying anderson 8mil a year he is 100% guaranteed to start. i would not be upset if that is the case, but getting paid that amount of $$$ DOES NOT mean you should start. the best option/matchup will start the game. and starting really means nothing. lets say anderson comes off the bench but gets 30-35 mpg and is on the floor at the end of games, and lopez starts, gets 24-26 mpg and isnt on the floor at the end of games. that is what matters. not who gets an 'S' in the box score, but the amount of minutes played and WHEN those minutes are played.

i honestly think (if this trade went down, of course) our best lineup would be rivers, gordon, anderson, davis and lopez. i expect to see davis/anderson play all 3-5 positions this season.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    I've been one all offseason that has wanted to get Robin Lopez. I think he fits our needs perfectly. Right in that 24 year and below range we have been sticking to. True 7 footer, good size, good mobility for a 7 footer(IMO).

Defensive stats can be so misleading coming from a team that has Steve Nash getting blown by on every posession. In fact, Phoenix's outside defense was pretty weak all around. Really puts a lot of stress on the bigs.

No, I don't expect him to become some all-star starter. But for a team that needed a matchup big, I think we hit a homerun.

Now we go into next offseason already with Anderson, Davis, Smith and Lopez locked up. Two seven footers off the bench. That's pretty strong right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets78 View Post
    I would pass on this deal. We just need a backup center. No reason to sign Lopez to 3 years and Warrick still has two more years on his contract. Shouldn't be too hard to find a big body for just one season. Lopez is a good backup, but why pay 3 years for a backup?
    It's possible to assume that Demps and/or Monty have been interested in Lopez for weeks- presumably Phoenix needed an incentive to decline matching any offers or to trade him.

We didn't want to part with anything too valuable for Lopez, so we turned Jack's contract into Miller's contract, which can be bought out. Now Phoenix can send out Warrick's contract as their incentive to let Lopez come here- instead of paying $8million for Lopez and Warrick, they're paying $800,000 to buy out Miller's contract.

They (Phoenix) must have another move in mind, or they like Wes Johnson, either way. Presumably we can afford to sit on Warrick's contract for 12 months because Demps isn't planning on making any more moves, at least until February.
    "I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 auto-gyro?"

Can we talk Hakim Warrick for a second.........

He just turned 30 years old, and is obviously little more than a contract at this point for us. But I don't get the "he's awful" discussion other than from Phoenix fans and their typical nonsense.

This of course was the guy they brought in to take Amare's place. A plan destined to fail obviously, but they did what they had to do. Last year he played some of the smallest minutes of his career, and his play sufferred. But just the season before last, he was 29th amongst all PF's in PER, scored over 51% from the field, would have averaged about 16 points per 36 minutes. Year before that, he was 33rd in PER.

People are going to take whatever stats they want to prove whatever point they want. Again, Warrick will NOT be a Hornet past this season. But I feel pretty good about him being our third PF and 5th big off the bench. He is not some waste.

I wouldn't judge any player's ability to play defense after they have played for Phoenix. With Lopez's energy and strength I think he'd be a monsta in Monty's defensive scheme. He and Warrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    How will Anderson fit in all of this rotation now?
    He's one of if not THE BEST shooters in the league... don't worry he'll get his minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBrow View Post
    it seems like a theme in this thread is that because we are paying anderson 8mil a year he is 100% guaranteed to start. i would not be upset if that is the case, but getting paid that amount of $$$ DOES NOT mean you should start. the best option/matchup will start the game. and starting really means nothing. lets say anderson comes off the bench but gets 30-35 mpg and is on the floor at the end of games, and lopez starts, gets 24-26 mpg and isnt on the floor at the end of games. that is what matters. not who gets an 'S' in the box score, but the amount of minutes played and WHEN those minutes are played.

i honestly think (if this trade went down, of course) our best lineup would be rivers, gordon, anderson, davis and lopez. i expect to see davis/anderson play all 3-5 positions this season.
    Oh, you see Lopez as a starter, STILL. That's nice.*

I don't think I can take anything you say seriously anymore.*

Anderson/Davis>>>>>>>>>>>>Davis/Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post

He just turned 30 years old, and is obviously little more than a contract at this point for us. But I don't get the "he's awful" discussion other than from Phoenix fans and their typical nonsense.

This of course was the guy they brought in to take Amare's place. A plan destined to fail obviously, but they did what they had to do. Last year he played some of the smallest minutes of his career, and his play sufferred. But just the season before last, he was 29th amongst all PF's in PER, scored over 51% from the field, would have averaged about 16 points per 36 minutes. Year before that, he was 33rd in PER.

People are going to take whatever stats they want to prove whatever point they want. Again, Warrick will NOT be a Hornet past this season. But I feel pretty good about him being our third PF and 5th big off the bench. He is not some waste.
    It's probably moot re. New Orleans given he won't play much for us as you said.

Having said that, he can score, but his rebounding leaves a lot to be desired- he doesn't have the game to be a SF, but he's too slight to be a PF. In reality he'll be an expensive 5th 'big' man behind Davis, Anderson, Smith and Lopez.

I can see Warrick running the pick and roll and making some ridiculous dunks off lobs. Warrick is NOT terrible... players are not going to excel in every offense they need to be in a system that fits their abilities. All we do is pick and roll and I can't wait to see Warrick throwing down some lobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila The Hun View Post
    In reality he'll be an expensive 5th 'big' man behind Davis, Anderson, Smith and Lopez.
    I can understand that from Phoenix's perspective. From our's, Lopez puts us at the cap, so bringing him in is a plus. We can't sign anyone above league minimum's anyway, and we get the contract in trade possibilities. Of course, actual dollars it sucks, but I don't have to pay it out, lol.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post
    Oh, you see Lopez as a starter, STILL. That's nice.*

I don't think I can take anything you say seriously anymore.*

Anderson/Davis>>>>>>>>>>>>Davis/Lopez

im tired of talking to people with reading comprehension problems. in the second sentence of my post i said "i would not be upset if that is the case", referring to anderson starting. and i never said i expect lopez to start 82 games a season. but he is more than capable of being a "spot starter" based on match-ups and injures. i havent taken anything you said seriously since i started posting here. have a good one.

I've been one all offseason that has wanted to get Robin Lopez. I think he fits our needs perfectly. Right in that 24 year and below range we have been sticking to. True 7 footer, good size, good mobility for a 7 footer(IMO).

Defensive stats can be so misleading coming from a team that has Steve Nash getting blown by on every posession. In fact, Phoenix's outside defense was pretty weak all around. Really puts a lot of stress on the bigs.

No, I don't expect him to become some all-star starter. But for a team that needed a matchup big, I think we hit a homerun.

Now we go into next offseason already with Anderson, Davis, Smith and Lopez locked up. Two seven footers off the bench. That's pretty strong right there.
    John Hollinger disagrees with you.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    He could have gotten $4 million next season just by siging his QO. I think $5 million is fair for a young 7 footer. Didn't Houston just give over $8 million a year for Lin and Asik?
    Come on man, Asik is far better than Lopez. And I'm not saying Lopez is gonna suck for you guys cause this kid had a good run in the Suns WCFs playoff run in 2010 but after watching him play I just never thought he would land such a nice contract.

But that's exactly why I'm not a GM in the NBA

Edit: Yup it was the 2010 WCFs playoff run cause I still remember this:

I can understand that from Phoenix's perspective. From our's, Lopez puts us at the cap, so bringing him in is a plus. We can't sign anyone above league minimum's anyway, and we get the contract in trade possibilities. Of course, actual dollars it sucks, but I don't have to pay it out, lol.
    Yeah Phoenix have Gortat and Scola now, Warrick makes zero sense for them.

We can probably assume Dell and Monty place some value on Lopez- he's 24, so he's the right age if nothing else. Lewis and Warrick will come off the books in 12 months, presumably Dell will make another move then.

You're right, it's nice that we're using 100% of the cap- gives the fans faith that the owner will not be cheap later on when it counts.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Come on man, Asik is far better than Lopez. And I'm not saying Lopez is gonna suck for you guys cause this kid had a good run in the Suns WCFs playoff run in 2010 but after watching him play I just never thought he would land such a nice contract.

But that's exactly why I'm not a GM in the NBA

Edit: Yup it was the 2010 WCFs playoff run cause I still remember this:

Asik averaged 3 points per game ! He couldnt spur a donkeys *** while riding him ! Asik is a BIG GARBAGE CAN !

He freakin shoots 50% from the court at 7'0" from 3-5 feet from the basket>> &&&&&&&& he shoots SHAQ FREE THROWS ! Actually Worse than Shaq ! 46% !! That is gawd awful !
    Lets face it>> You paid 8 million a year for a guy that can rebound & CAN DO ABSOLUTELLY NOTHING on offense ! HE is a PATHETIC low post offensive player !

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Asik averaged 3 points per game ! He couldnt spur a donkeys *** while riding him ! Asik is a BIG GARBAGE CAN !

He freakin shoots 50% from the court at 7'0" from 3-5 feet from the basket>> &&&&&&&& he shoots SHAQ FREE THROWS ! Actually Worse than Shaq ! 46% !! That is gawd awful !
    Lets face it>> You paid 8 million a year for a guy that can rebound & CAN DO ABSOLUTELLY NOTHING on offense ! HE is a PATHETIC low post offensive player !
    Asik as an awful offensive player as of right now...agreed. But he is MILES better than Lopez defensively and rebounding wise.

And Asik at least had offers from other teams, no other team other than the Hornets wanted Lopez

It should be of note that, aside from the Hornets’ interest, no other NBA squad has gotten the restricted free agent to sign an offer sheet. Read that as the rest of the NBA market knowing that Lopez is a guy with too many question marks to risk overpaying for.

Read more: http://valleyofthesuns.com/2012/07/2...#ixzz21dytFPbp

Asik as an awful offensive player as of right now...agreed. But he is MILES better than Lopez defensively and rebounding wise.

And Asik at least had offers from other teams, no other team other than the Hornets wanted Lopez
    But i think the Hornets come out looking much better paying a backup Center 5mil a yr in a sign & trade to be what he is....a backup center rather than pay a back up center in every sense of the word 8mil a yr to be a starter that only averages 3pts a game.......lets not act like the Rockets GM is all that smarter than Dell. Don't matter who got offered what....yall overpaid while we're at least gettting some value. there for Lopez/Warrick (worth 5mil a yr/ warrick with an expiring) >>>>>>>> paying Asik 8mil a yr for averaging 3 pts a game. he can't play defense for the whole team....if you're a starting center you need to average more than that. That contract ALONE means Lopez>>>>>Asik. LOL. But ya'll be the Rockets....and we'll be the Hornets....

Asik AND Lopez are both Gahbage. No need to argue anymore.
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 07-25-2012 at 09:34 AM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Ick. So much faffing around about CBA rules and what not...and only limited word on if this deal is even getting done.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatHornet View Post
    Asik AND Lopez are both Hot Garbage. No need to argue anymore.
    Yeah but at least we're only paying $5M rather than $8M for our hot garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by HunnyB View Post
    Yeah but at least we're only paying $5M rather than $8M for our hot garbage.
    yea, you right. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    But i think the Hornets come out looking much better paying a backup Center 5mil a yr in a sign & trade to be what he is....a backup center rather than pay a back up center in every sense of the word 8mil a yr to be a starter that only averages 3pts a game.......lets not act like the Rockets GM is all that smarter than Dell. Don't matter who got offered what....yall overpaid while we're at least gettting some value. there for Lopez/Warrick (worth 5mil a yr/ warrick with an expiring) >>>>>>>> paying Asik 8mil a yr for averaging 3 pts a game. he can't play defense for the whole team....if you're a starting center you need to average more than that. That contract ALONE means Lopez>>>>>Asik. LOL. But ya'll be the Rockets....and we'll be the Hornets....
    He may be smarter because Morey is pretty renown for his mind, but better? I would give it to Dell right now.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Thread Information