Pelicans Report

Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast

Thread: [Official - trade complete] Hornets Trying to Land RFA Lopez from the Suns {merged}

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Sure, but if we are taking on Warrick's contract (aka the "savings" for Minny, as you put it), why don't we get the pick? You really think it is fair for you to dump Warrick on us and take the 1st round pick for yourself? This is all pointless, IMO, because I don't see where a 1st round pick fits in anywhere, and I don't think one will be involved.

Again, as my buddy 42 points out, you need to "think."
    lol, because youre getting LOPEZ, the catalyst for the entire trade!!! Are you incapable of "thinking" about 2 things at once?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Why is this thread still going on if the deal fail through? Its like teasing to talk about could of's lol.
    Who said deal fell through?

Quote Originally Posted by phrazbit View Post
    Dude, look at Wes Johnson, the "past top 5 pick" doesnt matter. We have seen guys get dumped for nothing before, even by Khan. They gave away Flynn, he was a 6th pick, the Grizz gave away Thabeet, he was 2nd. When a former top pick is a complete disaster then they just become a dead weight contract. Last year Wes Johnson was among the worst players in the NBA, he had a PER of 8. And its not like he came out at 19. Wes Johnson was supposed to be polished when he came out. The guy has been a monumental bust.

Minnesota is giving up a future 1st to clear cap space (Johnson's dead weight contract) so they can make a signing. That is their motivation. These kinds of trades happen all the time. Now, if Johnson defies the odds and turns he career around, then in retrospect its a one sided trade. But odds are the Suns wont even pick up Johnson's option and he will be gone after next year.
    But if we're taking on Warrick's contract, why is Phoenix getting the first rounder? Makes no sense. It seems like you're forgetting that Lopez is an RFA. We could easily offer Lopez the 4M qualifying plus Warrick's salary if we wanted him that bad. Instead Phoenix is shedding a bad contract, receiving a player they are clearly interested in W. Johnson(even though you are not), and getting a first rounder from Minny. Come on, dude. How do you not see how dumb that trade is? Phoenix is getting way too much and Minnesota gets completely shafted. Let's not pretend that Lopez is a borderline All-Star now. You seem to completely over value him.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 07-24-2012 at 11:30 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

... with Brad Miller being tossed in (and by all reports he is) New Orleans can take on well over 5 million.

But please, tell me more about being illogical and hilarious.
    You see, you say $5m. I say $6m, which is another report.

This is a larger number.

What I'm about to do is called "subtraction." Say that with me . . . "Sub trac tion." Very good.

****** = **** + ?

? = **

So with Warrick eating up $4m, Lopez gets $2m. Yay!

Now we check

**** + ** = ?

****** = ?

****** is the room we started with. Yay!

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    You see, you say $5m. I say $6m, which is another report.

This is a larger number.

What I'm about to do is called "subtraction." Say that with me . . . "Sub trac tion." Very good.

****** = **** + ?

? = **

So with Warrick eating up $4m, Lopez gets $2m. Yay!

Now we check

**** + ** = ?

****** = ?

****** is the room we started with. Yay!

Yay!
    What the hell was that witchcraft.

I can sail upriver, too.

lol, because youre getting LOPEZ, the catalyst for the entire trade!!! Are you incapable of "thinking" about 2 things at once?
    Dude. Lopez is an RFA. We could just outbid you if you want. He isn't under contract man, and he doesn't want to re-sign with your franchise because yall suck.

RFAs never get great value on the trade market. Look at what we gave Orlando for RFA Ryan Anderson, who is 10 times the player that Lopez is. We gave them a 27 year old Mexican Center who doesn't speak a lick of English and has only played in the NBA for one year. Yeah, that was for Anderson, who you may recognize as the NBA's "Most Improved Player" last year.

who doesn't speak a lick of English
    But we love him.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughka View Post
    What the hell was that witchcraft.
    Lol at the Phoenix troll arguing with Dr. Calmes, Ph.D., (the Ph.D. is in Mathematics, by the way) about our cap situation.

Ignorant troll is a funny troll.

Dude. Lopez is an RFA. We could just outbid you if you want. He isn't under contract man, and he doesn't want to re-sign with your franchise because yall suck.

RFAs never get great value on the trade market. Look at what we gave Orlando for RFA Ryan Anderson, who is 10 times the player that Lopez is. We gave them a 27 year old Mexican Center who doesn't speak a lick of English and has only played in the NBA for one year. Yeah, that was for Anderson, who you may recognize as the NBA's "Most Improved Player" last year.
    Slim, it's not worth it. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of a restricted free agent, the actual (realistic) value of Lopez, or the cap implications of said trade.

Quote Originally Posted by NOH2313 View Post
    But if we're taking on Warrick's contract, why is Phoenix getting the first rounder? Makes no sense. It seems like you're forgetting that Lopez is an RFA. We could easily offer Lopez the 4M qualifying plus Warrick's salary if we wanted him that bad. Instead Phoenix is shedding a bad contract, receiving a player they are clearly interested in W. Johnson(even though you are not), and getting a first rounder from Minny. Come on, dude. How do you not see how dumb that trade is? Phoenix is getting way too much and Minnesota gets completely shafted. Let's not pretend that Lopez is a borderline All-Star now. You seem to completely over value him.
    I've asked him this twice already, and he hasn't responded to me yet.

I don't think the hornets are losing in this trade. I think the Suns and the Hornets are both getting great deals. The Suns get a SG (who like Lopez has yet to live up to his talent) and a first rounder. The hornets are getting a center they desperately need and another big to come off the bench for pretty good deals (I don't think the Warrick deal is that bad). The T-wolves might be losing because the are giving up a 1st rounder, but if they get AK-47 I'm sure they would be good too.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    I can sail upriver, too.
    Pssh, that's just simple math.

lol, didnt I just give you guys this exact lecture when you thought you'd get Gortat, Marshall and 2 future first for Gordon?

And please, I'd prefer to keep this conversation cordial but when you toss out "and he doesn't want to re-sign with your franchise because yall suck."; it has to be pointed out that your best player didnt want to stay with YOUR team and was begging to come to Phoenix. New Orleans does not have the greatest track record of happily retaining their best players. When Lopez starts tearing into the Suns franchise like Gordon did... you let me know.

The Suns are shipping off an RFA, they're shipping off a bad, but expiring contract, they're taking on another bad contract (and maybe 2 if Brad Miller comes along)... and to even things out they are getting a 1st, which presumably will have some protections on it.

The disconnect taking place here is that you guys seem to think Wes Johnson has trade value... but he does not. He is a pure salary dump in this trade, it does not matter than he was taken 4th, as of right now he is 25, he has not shown any upside, and he has been awful.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who's disappointed that Dyson's involved in this trade

Quite frankly I'm more intrigued of getting Warrick than Lopez.

Think about it this way. We are acquiring, for virtually nothing, the genetic clone of a max center in the NBA!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Genetically identical, but their games couldn't be more dissimilar. Like the Barber bros.

The could easily be a first round pick involved with other teams, and the deal could go otherly, but I don't see it, and I don't see how we can both take Warrick and pay Lopez more than $2mish on a 2-4y deal (since he's restricted), and have that not be just awesome.

We give up Jack's $5mish expiring and get Lopez on a sweet deal, get a $4m expiring (assuming the Suns guys are right on team option), and anything we kept from Miller deal IF we take Miller and Minnesota give us a first to Phoenix to clear $250k when someone else would have taken the guy for a second. Right.

Or, Lopez comes over on a more likely deal and PHX swaps trash, with us facilitating since Minne gets a little screwed, with the Suns getting just a little teabagging from Dell (but really from Minnesota).

lol, didnt I just give you guys this exact lecture when you thought you'd get Gortat, Marshall and 2 future first for Gordon?

And please, I'd prefer to keep this conversation cordial but when you toss out "and he doesn't want to re-sign with your franchise because yall suck."; it has to be pointed out that your best player didnt want to stay with YOUR team and was begging to come to Phoenix. New Orleans does not have the greatest track record of happily retaining their best players. When Lopez starts tearing into the Suns franchise like Gordon did... you let me know.

The Suns are shipping off an RFA, they're shipping off a bad, but expiring contract, they're taking on another bad contract (and maybe 2 if Brad Miller comes along)... and to even things out they are getting a 1st, which presumably will have some protections on it.

The disconnect taking place here is that you guys seem to think Wes Johnson has trade value... but he does not. He is a pure salary dump in this trade, it does not matter than he was taken 4th, as of right now he is 25, he has not shown any upside, and he has been awful.
    Just conveying rumors. Don't hate the e-messenger.

Johnson isn't a bad contract. He is expiring. Miller can be bought out for under $1 million. Neither are bad. You don't know what you are talking about.

I always enjoy getting the POV from other teams' fans, but you, sir, do not fit that category for several reasons that I will not name because we shall remain cordial, as you wish.

Steve Nash.
    Amare.
    Should I keep going?

And you still cannot subtract. What grade are you in? And aren't you up late, even in a land where they can't afford to save daylight?

Coyotes.

25% unemployment.

Real estate nightmare.

Anthony Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Genetically identical, but their games couldn't be more dissimilar. Like the Barber bros.
    Nice.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    He may not be a cap genius, but you kinda asked for that one Slim
    Last edited by Mr. West; 07-24-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Just conveying rumors. Don't hate the e-messenger.

Johnson isn't a bad contract. He is expiring. Miller can be bought out for under $1 million. Neither are bad. You don't know what you are talking about.

I always enjoy getting the POV from other teams' fans, but you, sir, do not fit that category for several reasons that I will not name because we shall remain cordial, as you wish.
    lol, right, find me that quote anywhere but from your mouth. I've heard he is upset about being on the bench, but thats a different story than "yall suck"... which just smacks of bitterness over the Gordon ordeal.

The Wolves need to dump the contract to make space NOW, an expiring does not help them sign a player this offseason. If you dont want to claim Wes Johnson is a bad contract, then neither is Warrick. So then it boils down to a cap dump for Minnesota and the Suns getting a protected future 1st for an RFA and helping Minnesota clear space... which is not at all out of the ordinary. New Orleans gets Lopez and an expiring.

You can question Minnesota's pursuit of AK47 if you want to find the oddball in this trade talk, but it does not sound that unusual when looking at David Khan's resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    He may not be a cap genius, but you asked for that one Slim
    If the master subtractor thinks we get Lopex for $2m, he's essentially paying to leave. At least Gordon's heart can be purchased like a Lady of the evening. This dude is paying to get out of the windowless fan that is Phoenix.

Or he's wrong.

Either way, there's some tea a-brewin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    He may not be a cap genius, but you asked for that one Slim
    I think we all know why the Eric Gordon thing played out the way it did. I didn't want to to type up the whole story, but it appears that you are forcing my hand - odd, considering you, yourself, should know the details, and if you do know said details, then you wouldn't have quoted that part of the message. That is neither here nor there. I shall proceed.

1) We didn't offer Gordon the 5-year max extension that he wanted. He got pissed.

2) We offered him a deal in the neighborhood of 4 years/$50 million. He wanted the max.

3) He went on a tour begging for the max, and Phoenix was desperate enough to give it to him and, coincidentally, stupid enough to believe that we wouldn't match.

4) Since the contract couldn't be finalized for a few days, Gordon went on a media splurge where he said a few things that he now regrets in order to protect his newly acquired contract.

5) Gordon has since rescinded his statements and has asked for the forgiveness/acceptance of the Hornets fans.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Not gonna lie... Havn't read most of the thread, just this page so I don't know why he would say that Lopez is signed for 2 mil. However, it is pretty clear that the guy is wrong so stick it to 'em 42.

Thread Information