Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: [Official - trade complete] Hornets Trying to Land RFA Lopez from the Suns {merged}

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbeard06 View Post
    I wonder what Dell is giving up to get him? The tweet said sign and trade, what assets, besides second round picks, do we have to give up?
    X?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    Lopez for that stiff the Hornets got that plays in Europe
    and/or him lol

I wonder what Dell is giving up to get him? The tweet said sign and trade, what assets, besides second round picks, do we have to give up?
    Arent we still trying to see if Carl Landry will do a sign & trade for us? I know is a UFA...but I think he was willing to do that instead of just walking away if it was the right team and deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    Arent we still trying to see if Carl Landry will do a sign & trade for us? I know is a UFA...but I think he was willing to do that instead of just walking away if it was the right team and deal.
    I think Carl has his mind set on Golden State. I can't see us getting Lopez unless Carl IS involved or there is a third team. Maybe Dell is searching for a third team to make the deal work.
    Last edited by Dbeard06; 07-24-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: misspelled word

I think Carl has his mind set on Golden State. I can't see us getting Lopez unless Carl IS involved or there is a third team. Maybe Dell is searching for a third team to make the deal work.
    Landry has basically said he's going where he can get paid the most, and if he gets that from a sign and trade with us he's doing it

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I assume we are trying to get him for X and/or the 2 second rounders we got from Minny and Phoenix is saying they would rather just keep him. Hope something happens, but my hopes arn't up.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_318 View Post
    I wouldn't put it past Dealer Dell to put a poision pill in the offer sheet a la Rockets/Lin just to mess with the Suns. Like.. "ok...u guys wanna run up the price on Gordon. We'll take our sweet time matching.....and sign your Best Center to the offer sheet of death.....punk."
    That's not possible. Only 2nd round pick or undrafted RFAs fall under the Arenas Rule which allows poison pill contracts. Any offer we make to Lopez would include standard raises.

Sign and trade is likely the only way to get him. Suns would outright match any affordable deal since there aren't that many 7 footers in the league. You also don't want to vastly overpay players in this league, especially when you've put yourself in such a good position financially going forward.

I'd love to have Lopez, but certainly the price has to be right. I'm not sure what they could give up that the Suns would want. Maybe S&T Carl Landry for Lopez. But then again, the Suns just picked up Luis Scola, so Lopez may be more valuable to them than Landry at this point. I wouldn't give up a first rounder for Lopez unless it's lottery protected for quite some time.

On a side note... where's that Suns' fan who said the Suns organization did things the right way and compared their situation with Lopez to Gordon? Stating that the Suns showed up at Lopez's doorstep on day 1 of free agency while the Hornets let Gordon visit other teams.

"Landry has basically said he's going where he can get paid the most, and if he gets that from a sign and trade with us he's doing it"

True, so I guess the sticking point would be money. How much is PHX willing to pay for Landry. The addition of Landry would give them a solid front line rotation with Scola, Gortat, Childress and Landry. PHX should cooperate if Landry is involved.

We do have a bunch of 2nd rounders... Not that long ago Okur(who was better than Lopez is at this point) got jettisoned for only a 2nd rounder and a conditional 2nd rounder.

It's not too far fetched to think that he could be had simply for 2nd round picks. I don't think it's time to give up on X just yet, unless Lopez's deal is for 4-5 years. B/c X is one re-upped here for this season if I remember correct.

im keen!

Has Brandon Rush re-signed with the Warriors yet?

Any chance we could do a three-way with them and Phoenix? GSW get Landry, Phx get Rush, we get Lopez?
    "I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 auto-gyro?"

Quote Originally Posted by TBlaze View Post
    We do have a bunch of 2nd rounders... Not that long ago Okur(who was better than Lopez is at this point) got jettisoned for only a 2nd rounder and a conditional 2nd rounder.

It's not too far fetched to think that he could be had simply for 2nd round picks. I don't think it's time to give up on X just yet, unless Lopez's deal is for 4-5 years. B/c X is one re-upped here for this season if I remember correct.
    It is pretty far fetched to think he can be had for 2nd round picks. I would bet a protected 1st may be needed. I would not mind trading someone like X in a deal for him along with a 2nd rounder, but not sure if that is enough. Maybe they have a contract we can take on using Miller's contract. I am not sure Landry would interest them after obtaining Scola.

I am a little concerned that the signing of Davis and Rivers today may signal that we have given up on Lopez (as we utilized the additional cap space we had available by signing them (i.e. the 20% kicker that most rookies sign for).

Quote Originally Posted by HORNETSFAN View Post
    It is pretty far fetched to think he can be had for 2nd round picks. I would bet a protected 1st may be needed. I would not mind trading someone like X in a deal for him along with a 2nd rounder, but not sure if that is enough. Maybe they have a contract we can take on using Miller's contract. I am not sure Landry would interest them after obtaining Scola.

I am a little concerned that the signing of Davis and Rivers today may signal that we have given up on Lopez (as we utilized the additional cap space we had available by signing them (i.e. the 20% kicker that most rookies sign for).
    Most on this blog have estimate that even with the rookie signing we should be about $5M under the cap. We still have some wiggle room for a S&T to work.

After looking at PHX roster, they are loaded with big men, so Landry may not be in the cards here, but they do need more guards. X could come into play along with some draft picks.

childress got amnestied.
    "Landry has basically said he's going where he can get paid the most, and if he gets that from a sign and trade with us he's doing it"

True, so I guess the sticking point would be money. How much is PHX willing to pay for Landry. The addition of Landry would give them a solid front line rotation with Scola, Gortat, Childress and Landry. PHX should cooperate if Landry is involved.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Attila The Hun View Post
    Has Brandon Rush re-signed with the Warriors yet?

Any chance we could do a three-way with them and Phoenix? GSW get Landry, Phx get Rush, we get Lopez?
    I'd rather cut Phx out and just trade Landry for Rush

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    childress got amnestied.
    They have Warrick, whom I forgot to mention. So they have Scola, Gortat, Warrick and Channing Frye. Don't think Landry would get minutes warranting a big salary like he had with NO. But I also don't see the need for PHX to keep Lopez given that big rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    I like him better as a player as well, however I have a feeling we'll be using Rivers as a combo guard off the bench this season, meaning a scarcity of available playing time at 2-guard- I guess we could use him at SF in a small-ball line-up though.

Assuming Demps and Monty like Lopez, I think they're more likely to turn Landry into a C than a SG. I'm not necessarily huge on Lopez, but there's diddly-squat talent left in the free agent pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    This. I think Golden State really likes Rush though, so I don't see them parting with him.

Shouldn't the title read "trying" instead of "tried?" The pursuit remains.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    lopez 2nd year in the league he averaged like 8.5 pts 5 rebounds in 19 minutes, def a big body who can d and rebound, sign him!
    One would think he can nearly double that point and rebound total with twice as many as minutes as a starter. That would have me even more stoked about getting him. He's only 24 years old too

What are we trying to build?

The Blake Griffin All-Clobber team?

Lopez is just what we need... high-energy guy that runs the floor... block shots.. grabs boards.. and not afraid to lay wood on folks. At this stage of the offseason it'll be impossible to get REAL good bigs, and with the scoring power we have now we don't need a big that's gonna score alot (although that would be GREAT... but no one is out there).

Just wonder what we're giving up. Henry is a possibility but then we'd need to find another wing (I hope Miller makes it as the backup 3).

Only reason I would want him...perfect nickname and look a like! As long as I don't hear people yell ROLO I'm alright with it!

after we matched gordon...the suns wont let us get lopez out of spite

The dude's never averaged more than 19 minutes a game. This could be a steal for us.
    "Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal."- Demetri Martin

@ThePraff

Thread Information